can Edinburgh be a day trip from london?

Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:24 AM
nick

can Edinburgh be a day trip from london?

I will be in London for 4 days before I head back home and would love to see Edinburgh before I leave. I dont mind leaving london at the frist train heading that way and coming back at the last train leaving to london from edinburgh. If I do go for a day trip it will be on dec 30. good time?

Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:37 AM
yola

There might be a night train you could take from London, it has to be at least an 8 hour train ride. Then you would want the full day there. If you really only have one day, you would have to fly or spare another full night to return. Plus British trains are notoriously plagued with delays, wouldn't want to bet my non-changeable airfare on that! Save it for another trip. If you want to see something special outside of London, try a day trip to Cambridge or Oxford though these will be very quiet at this time of year.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:57 AM
Sandy

You might check easyjet/bmi for airfares - very very cheap between london and edinburgh..if the timing works out you could easily do a day trip as the flight is short.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:13 AM
Sonia

Nick..

You can fly from Gatwick at 7 in the morning and arrice in Edinburgh at 08.30, then leave at 21:20 and get back to London at 22:50. A long day, a mad rush but possible! Booked on web it's £40 return, a bargain!

That's on a Saturday. I think in the week you can leave a little earlier..

Hope this helps you out a bit Nick

Good Luck

Sonia

Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:13 AM
Sonia

Nick..

You can fly from Gatwick at 7 in the morning and arrice in Edinburgh at 08.30, then leave at 21:20 and get back to London at 22:50. A long day, a mad rush but possible! Booked on web it's £40 return, a bargain!

That's on a Saturday. I think in the week you can leave a little earlier..

Hope this helps you out a bit Nick

Good Luck

Sonia

Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:20 AM
Geoff Hamer

Trains from London to Edinburgh are run by GNER and are the fastest in Britain. Most take between four and five hours, so it is possible in a long day. They go from King Cross station in London to Waverley station in Edinburgh which is right in the city centre. There is also an overnight sleeper train run by Scotrail. Check www.gner.co.uk and www.scotrail.co.uk for fares and schedules.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:26 AM
Sonia

Sorry Nick, in my rush I didn't read the last part of your message. As you're travelling so close to New Year I would think prices will be a lot higher. Edinburgh is one of the most popular places to celebrate New Year. Have a look on www.easyjet.co.uk and check out the December prices. You may get lucky...

Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:37 AM
Sheila

I rarely tell people not to; but this is nuts. Don't do it!!

Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:14 PM
Wayne

In a word-----NO.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:32 PM
janis

Could you - yes. Should you - NO.

Dec 30 is the monday squeezed between Christmas and the BIGGEST holiday in Scotland. Hogmanay brings thousands of travelers into Edinburgh city center and many will take that Monday to get an early start to the celebration.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:34 PM
Barbara

I totally agree with Sheila and Janis. Any other time of the year it's very possible - my brother takes my Mum from Edinburgh to London for the day a few weeks before Christmas. Right before New Year would be a completely different travel nightmare! Having said that, if you can get a flight to Edinburgh - I wouldn't even try the train - I don't think you'd have much difficulty getting back to London. Most people will be staying over in Edinburgh for New Year. If you decide to go, let us know how it worked out!