Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone suggest a souvenir for grandaughter who loves Moliere and Descartes?

Feb 20th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Our GD is nearly 21, and is a theater arts major. She used a M/C gift card this past Christmas to buy a playbook of Moliere and Descartes! Is there anything we could bring her from Paris, such as a poster, book, or anything that relates to these dramatists? And where would be the best place to go hunting? I must admit, I haven't a clue, it's way above me.
Help, please!
Feb 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM

The Comedie Francaise (the theatre were French classics are usually staged) has a shop, they sell DVD from their productions, CDs and all kinds of gifts. They have a internet shop but then there's the real one in Paris Take a look if you like it :
http://tinyurl.com/yrx552

Feb 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM

I'm curious to know what a playbook of Descartes would be since he was not a dramatist but a philosopher.
Feb 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Beware of the DVD region code! French DVDs will not play in an American DVD player unless they are "Region Free" or "Region 0", or if you have a region-free DVD player (which you should, because the best DVDs are never released in the USA).

I wouldn't know where to find such an item, but I wonder if a small bust of Molière or Descartes might not fit the bill. I know that busts of Shakespeare and Beethoven are common in the US; might there be something similar, perhaps in a museum gift shop or art shop?

A poster would be nice except that getting it home uncrushed might be a problem. Any bookstore in Paris will have a selection of Molière and Descartes books in French, which might be a great or terrible gift depending on whether she reads it or not.
Feb 20th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Here's an example of a Moliere bust ("buste" in french): http://tinyurl.com/39g5zl
Feb 20th, 2007, 05:21 PM

I second the idea of going to the Comedie Francaise; I visited their shop several years ago and bought some little souvenirs. As I remember, it's right behind the Palais Royal, off rue de Rivoli?

I've brought posters home from travels by taking a tube (or buying one) and rolling the poster up and popping it inside. Just take the tube of an already used roll of wrapping paper, eg.

Have fun!
Feb 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Duh. I'm stupid. The place to look for the bust is on that very website. Here are two, in plaster or terra-cotta: http://tinyurl.com/2zqoek.
Feb 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Wow, terrific suggestions, just what I was looking for! Thanks so much to all.
Feb 20th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Hagan,

Could you possibly be thinking of Racine rather than Descartes. His plays would more likely have been compiled in a book along with Moliere's.
Feb 20th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

I had this conversation with her on the phone about a month ago, and I know the first part was "Moliere", and now I'm not sure what the second name was! I think I was somewhat taken back by the Moliere, as this wasn't what I'd thought she'd buy with a MasterCard! I'll have to call her and ask again, but at least I know the first part is correct. I checked out the Comedie Francaise website, and their boutique has several items that would I think she'd like, so we'll make a stop there.
Feb 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM

A movie on an episode in Molière's life has been out for two weeks now (simply called "Molière"). The reviews are average, but the poster is nice and energetic, featuring French heartthrob Romain Duris, who is playing the title role. The poster could make a fun, more modern gift. Available in any of the movie stores in Paris (addresses available on the net, or pagesjaunes.fr, or possibly through a search on this forum)