Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone suggest a ski option for a 4 day trip to Europe in Jan or Feb from NYC

Can anyone suggest a ski option for a 4 day trip to Europe in Jan or Feb from NYC

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Sarah

I am coming in from New York City and will only have four days. Where is the best place to fly in to be near a ski resort area. I am new to skiing so I need slope with a number of beginner slopes.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 04:22 PM
s

Sarah,
Because you only have four days, you should find a resort within two hours of your arrival airport. These are some you should consider/research:

From Geneva, Verbier is 2.30 or 3.0 hours by train, Chamonix is 2.3 or 3.0 hours by train, and Zermatt is 2.3 or 3.0 hours by train.

From Zurich, Flims is 2.07 or 2.25 hours by train.

From Munich, Garmisch is 2.3 hours by train, Berchtesgaden is 2.50 hours by train, and in Austria you might try Kitzbuehel or Innsbruck, which are about 3.0 hours by train or bus.

Of these, my choice would be Garmisch. In fact, I learned to ski in Garmisch myself. I haven't been to Kitzbuehel or Innsbruck yet, so I can't give you any personal recommendation. Try doing a text search here to get some better ideas of these places.

Great luck!

s

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Sarah

thanks S I will keep this in my files and consider in future this is a big help

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Pedro

I would also suggest you Granada/Sierra Nevada via Madrid. The weather in February is generally great and there are several slopes for beginners as well as much fun.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 02:59 AM
Clif

Innsbruck is very reasonable and convenient. It's not far from Munich and there's plenty of public transportation to the slopes once you get. I went last year and am returning this year.