Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

can anyone speak to the realiabilty of orbitz, etc.

Nov 17th, 2001, 03:47 AM
ann

Have you ever booked airline tickets through orbitz or aesu.com? Their sites and prices are good but am still a little worried about booking this way. Can someone who has done it put my mind at ease. Once you have the ticket does it matter where you got it - in other words does the airline care? Thanks.

Nov 17th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Melissa

I just booked a trip on Orbitz. The price was good.....using Delta Airlines. Since Delta is a United Airlines partner, I had to call Delta to make sure my mileage points were appropriately posted to my account. But outside of that one extra step, I found it to be reliable and just as good as booking it the old fashioned way!

Nov 17th, 2001, 02:58 PM
John H

Hi, Ann,

AESU appears to be a reputable travel agency -- operating since 1977. If you are not comfortable booking online, why not just call their toll-free number: 1-800-638-7640? Though I have not purchased from Orbitz, it is highly reliable (it is owned by a group of major airlines). If you are uncomfortable booking online with them, go to the airline's own web site and see if you can match the fare. (I actually have found that sometimes going to the airline's own web site, I can even save money over the Orbitz fare).

The airline doesn't care where you bought the ticket. But, you will want to understand the "fare basis" of the ticket or the type of ticket (e.g., consolidator) and any restrictions (in terms of change or cancellation fees, upgrades, or frequent flyer mileage credit) that may apply to that ticket as a result. (I would guess, for example, that AESU might be offering "consolidator" tickets, which would have greater limitations than normal tickets. Just ask, however).

Good luck.

John H

Nov 17th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Julie

I purchased two tickets form them recently for trips that I planned on taking in October. On both occassions, I called the airline directly afterwards to order special meals and to make sure that my ff miles were being credited. The first trip went fine, I had to do the E-ticket check-in at this small computor, and there was someone there to help passengers who needed help.

The second trip however had a problem. The flight had a connection and due to 9-11, the first flight segment was cancelled. Orbitz contacted me by email with options. I phoned them back and discussed the options. Because there were no new flights for me to choose within a 2 or 3 hour window, I was given the option of cancelling. I choose to cancel that flight and my credit card was fully refunded.

I think they handled my flights very well. I was especially pleased with the way they handled the problem with the second flight. I will use them again. In fact, next week as soon as I confirm my vacation dates, I am going to book a flight with them to Germany.

Nov 17th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Sonney

I had arranged tickets on Orbitz that actually started on 9-11 with a return on 9-19. Two weeks before the flight Orbitz sent me an email to call them and they said that my 9-19 flight was eliminated and I needed to pick another flight or cancel for a full refund. I rebooked (no cost) and about 5 days later my carrier called saying the same thing. Thus, I think Orbitz did good. I obtained an eticket for both flights. One had one stop & plane change the return had two stops and plane changes. Not a problem. Orginating point gave me boarding passes for all connections. I see no problem for you ann go for it.

Nov 19th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Ann

I recently started booking tickets through orbitz.com, as they have great prices. No problems, and several friends also use the service.

Nov 19th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Brenda

The only problem I've had with Orbitz is their policy that paper tickets will be FedEx'ed ONLY to the buyer's billing address. They won't, for example, let you choose to receive the tickets at work -- a solution that would be much easier for me, since I'm never home during the day to sign for packages and don't like the thought of tickets sitting on my front porch all day.

They say the policy is "for security." I don't quite understand that rationale. Seems that these days, with airline bankruptcies and travel cancellations making paper tickets more important than ever, they'd come up with a way to make delivery easier on the customers.

Nov 19th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Thyra

Well, I've used Orbitz in the past and found them pretty helpful and great prices. HOWEVER, the last time I bought tickets RT to NYC from Los Angeles, I ended up having to cancel at the last moment due to my job. The first person I contacted could not have been nicer, said I could hold on to my tickets for a year and re-use them for a small fee. She said a supervisor would call me to reschedule.
Well two days later the "supervisor" still had not called. So I called back. Got a different operator this time.
Now it was going to be an extra $300.00 per ticket to reschedule.
So which is it to be?
I decided to wait until closer to the time I wanted to reschedule and see that the result would be.
I was a little confused by the seeming lack of consistant policy.

Nov 19th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Christina

Unless you're getting a cheaper fare on Orbitz, there are other services that will deliver tickets to your office address, like Travelocity. I use them and I would not like such a policy, either, as no one is usually at home during weekdays. Reasoning makes no sense to me, the security thing -- lots of other companies that sell products will deliver to your office address also, even if they accept credit cards. travelocity will allow them to be delivered by US regular mail, also, for no fee, which I use when booking way ahead, from them and directly from airlines, also. I do like Travelocity as their price quotes are final, they include all taxes so there are no games, and I've had good service from them and no problems.

Nov 19th, 2001, 10:47 AM
L

I've used Orbitz three times, and they have been terrific. One time I had to cancel, and they actually sent my credit card company a full refund credit notice. They respond a few minutes after you purchase, which I like. And you can use your printout at the airport. Ciao