Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone say anything BAD about IRELAND?

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Erin

I really hope not!! I just started reading and posting on this forum a few days ago because I was curious. I am planning a trip to Ireland and so far, everything I have read is so positive and it's great!! But if there is anything anyone wants to say that isn't so great, that's OK too, and it won't offend me, it might be helpful. But it is reassuring that everyone here is so in love with Ireland--I'm sure I will be, too.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 09:53 PM
Lisa

Erin - I sure hope I don't look back here and find that anyone posted something bad... My husband and I had the trip of a lifetime to Ireland last May - not one bad thing (except the day I had a migraine - but that had nothing to do with Ireland). There were minor inconveniences to be sure, but the place, culture, sites, people, aura, majestic nature, B&B's, driving... absolutely everything was truly wonderful. You will have such a lovely time. Keep in mind that bad things do happen, but they happen everywhere. Keep an open mind, a sense of humor and just enjoy being in a truly magical place

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:07 PM
meg

Come now you must have hated all that rain!!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:08 PM
Gar

hi there,
sure there are a few "bad" things to tell about Irland. First is the timing of rain - it startet when You open the door to go out, it stops when You coming home again. The next is the food: hm, well, You need a lot of time to a real yummie... Then it is the lot of smoking in the pubs, You smell like aburned out cigarett when leaving. And it is the bad situation for women in some situations (device for ex.) caused by the katholic church.
Enough? I cant get any more - for Irland is a beautiful country.
Have fun
Gar

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:42 AM
irl1

I'm born and bred in Ireland.Most people are nice but there are some total psychos, eg those who think bombing solves problems.Also we haven't quite figured the whole concept of disposing of litter correctly.Other than that I wouldn't live anywhere else.
(I don't mind rain...I guess its a cultural thing)

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 01:37 AM
sylvia

Ireland is a wonderful country but we know a pair of Indian doctors who practice there as GPs. They say that racism seems to be increasing there to a distressing extent, possibly because Ireland has only recently had a lot of incomers.
There have been several reported cases of black or mixed race families meeting hostility. Of course, you get racist nutters everywhere, but it's sad to find it in Ireland.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 02:33 AM
xx

No Erin, everyone here doesn't love Ireland, including many Irish.
Its a priest ridden, racist, homophobic, misogenistic, alcoholic country.Until recently condoms were illegal.I prefer secular government.
There have been recent posts lamenting the amount of drug addiction, prostitution, abandoned kids etc in Dublin.
I shouldn't really post this as I suspect you may be a troll, but just in case you are as dumb as as you sound here's some advice: get the rose tinted glasses off.The countryside is nice, so is the Guinness but there is more to Ireland than that.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 02:42 AM
Bill

The only thing that comes to mind is the narrow roads, especially in smaller towns. Often the cars have to alternate pasing through a narrow section, as if crossing a one-lane bridge. If they mess up it's instant gridlock.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 03:05 AM
stranger to Ireland

She doesn't sound dumb and her question sounds genuine. I have always wondered whether drunk drivers on the road would be a problem in Ireland and wonder why no one ever mention this. Also wondered about where to eat lucnh if allergic to smoke and hate beer or ale. I also suspected that Ireland might have a more than average share of racial and ethnic and religious bigotry. I've never been there but would like to go even if these negatives do exist because no place is perfect and two weeks isn't a lifetime.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 04:00 AM
gincy

my husband and i spent our honeymoon driving around the irish countryside. it was a wonderful experience and adventure. the irish people are warm and friendly, and the guinness is exquisite.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 04:04 AM
Erin

Thank you, Stranger to Ireland. And xx, whoever you are to be so cowardly to not use a real name, I think this place needs more people with rose tinted glasses, to tell you the truth. Anyway, thank you to everyone that took my questions seriously. I really appreciate all of your comments and they will help me out a lot. I live in Tokyo right now and I wish that people had told me before I came certain things to look out for. I realize that there is no such place as utopia but I was just wondering what SPECIFIC things to look out for. Maybe I should have phrased my questions differently so everyone could understand but I just assumed everyone reading would, and everyone except one person did, so thank you to those people.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 04:08 AM
John

Ah, come on, lets be a bit fairer here. "Homophobic, rascist, bigoted, alcoholics". Surely you wrote this so that people like me would respond and write in. Normally I wouldn't reply, but just in case people actually believe that rubish I thought that I'd better speak up for Irish people. I won't deny that obvoiusly some people may be like this, but no more than in any other country. The alcohol thing is a complete and utter myth.

Sorry Erin, I should really tell you what would be bad about Ireland. Well as mentioned the main problem is the weather - we get a lot of rain and our summer unoffically usually lasts about 2 weeks.

Litter is also a problem, some people seems to forget that bins are where you throw your rubbish not the ground.

I agree with one poster that the smoke in pubs can be a bit of a nuisence, but you do get used to it. Some pubs have no smoking sections at lunchtime while they are serving food. Otherwise you can eat at coffee shops, lunch specials at restauants or take out a sandwich and eat at a park.

We should really forget the good things - the people, the food, the culture, the senery. Just come here and experience it for yourself, you will enjoy it.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 04:09 AM
irish

Hi Erin:
Ireland like every other country enjoying ecomomic success is having growing pains. Rural Ireland is still beautiful but still poor. Urban Ireland has it's big city problems.
I love both aspects.
The Irish people on the whole are warm, friendly and witty. Like sylvia said there are nuts everywhere with all kinds of causes.
Go and enjoy yourself. See what you think. I think you'll fall in love with Ireland. You'll be enchanted, surprised, disappointed, and delighted all at the same time!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 04:23 AM
xx

Erin. Of course I don't use my real name - perhaps I should also post my address & wait for a petrol bomb through the window.I was right, you are dumb...!
Also, don't invite opinions & then hand out character descriptions based on the replies.I suspect you are too young to know what "coward" really means.
I like Irish people.You asked about the country.I gave you an honest reply.Nuts to you if you cant handle that.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 04:44 AM
ginny

Hi Erin!
I was in Ireland this past Sept for the first time and can honestly say that I would go back tomorrow if I could! We stayed in Co. Galway for 1 week and rented a beautiful house in Rossaveal which is an all Irish speaking area and they could not have been nicer. In fact, the whole time we were there we did not have ONE bad experience, unless you count taking a wrong turn somewhere! As for rain, yes it rained everyday we were there at some point or another, but usually only once a day and very briefly. There is always a black cloud somewhere and the sky in Ireland is never cloudless. We spent a day on Inishmore, which is one of the Aran Islands and it was drizzly going over and rough seas but turned into a beautiful day! Same for the others. It never stopped us from doing or going anywhere, we just kept our umbrellas with us at all times(we left them in the car mostly) and spent a day at Kylemore Abbey and walking around Clifden on the way back. Spent another day walking around Galway City, one enjoying Cong and Ashford Castle, Connemara area is breathtaking and even watched the sun go down on Galway Bay from a side street in Barna! The view driving along Galway Bay is spectacular and very ominous looking at times. Try to take in a Banquet at a Castle wherever you may be, we did the one at Bunratty. You are going to love Ireland. Oh and one more thing, the "we" on this trip was myself, my mother and my 90 yr. old grandmother(she just turned 91 this past Sunday) and has been going with us on these trips for the last 6 years!!!!! She loves to knit especially Irish Knit Sweaters and wound up buying so much wool that she had to buy another suitcase to put it all in!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 06:37 AM
Lisa

My husband is from Ireland, and we lived there for a few years, so here's my take on what's "bad" in Ireland.

The weather is absolutely horrible. I really got depressed because of the lack of sunshine and the amount of rain. However, when the weather IS nice, there really isn't anywhere more beautiful on earth.

There is a lot of racism. Ireland's great if you're white. While I've never actually witnessed racism in America (yes, I know it's there, I've just never seen anything myself), I've seen several incidents while in Ireland. But I do think that a lot of that has to do with the older generations. They simply had never met a black or Indian person before, and what they don't know or understand scares them. The younger people are much more accepting.

The Celtic Tiger is waning. Much of the money that boosted the economy in the south in recent years came from the European Union and American technology companies. With the EU admitting more and poorer countries than Ireland, those funds will be redirected. And as the tech market slows in the US, there will be less money making it's way into Ireland. But that said, the country has made great strides economically, and is light-yeard ahead of where it was even 10 years ago.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 07:33 AM
been burned

I find many Irish to be two faced - pleasent on the surface but highly critical and judgemental underneath. Many pride themselves on being proper so the slightest unintentional faux pas is seized upon as valid proof to look down on you. It is a beautiful country - but remember they also brought the world "Riverdance".

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Phyllis

Erin...I started a thread called "BEST OF THE BEST IN IRELAND". Check this forum out and read all the wonderful sites to see and things to do etc. while you are in such a beautiful country. My husband and I are going for the first time this coming June and cannot wait.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Susan

Mmmmmmm. Let's see. Something bad about Ireland. Well, the worst thing for us is that they drive on the "wrong" side of the road so we chickened out on driving & went with a tour when we'd prefer going on our own.
Then there was our visit to Kylemore Abbey with such horribly cold rainy windy weather that we didn't take advantage of all there was to see. (Have talked to 4 different people who were there at different times & all experienced the same bad weather.)
I'd expected the food to be pretty bad (as it was in England) but it was great! And so were the people.
The smoking wasn't as bad as we'd feared. In 1 (French) restaurant no one was smoking until 4 Frenchmen sat down behind us& lit up right away.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Danna

Erin,
We enjoyed Ireland, although loved Scotland more. The worst part for us was the presence of the Troubles in the North. Murals, graffiti, and other signs of one side or another was disconcerting. After our return I check the news and find stuff about many places we passed through that show it wasn't just our imagination. Liked the North, loved the folks but it was disconcerting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information