Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend the Dolphin or Shakespere B & B's in London?

Jun 7th, 2000, 02:55 PM
vicki

I'm looking for a quad room for myself and 3 teenage sons in London. The Shakespere and Dolphin are located in Paddington with a price of 80 pounds without facilities in room. Price is right...any suggestions or experiences with these hotels?
Thanks! Vicki

Jun 7th, 2000, 05:37 PM
Brent

I stayed in the Dolphin last August and was satisfied. The rooms were small (probably like most in London) but clean. The staff was friendly, the breakfast was good, and the neighborhood was decent. Compared to other hotel prices, I think it was a good value.

Jun 7th, 2000, 09:37 PM
Diane

We stayed at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel directly opposite the Dolphin and the Shakespeare. It was a little more money than you quote, but we much enjoyed the generous buffet breakfast. We paid L100 for a triple WITH bath, lower than their listed price. If you deal directly with the hotel, you can probably get a lower rate, especially for a multi-night stay. Just email and ask what rate they can give you for a four (or whatever) night stay.

My main point in responding to your question is to say how pleasant Norfolk Square is--and QUIET! We stayed several nights near the Marble Arch at a hotel that I wouldn't recommend because it was on an intersection and so noisy all night (except maybe between 2 and 5 a.m.), The Square is lined with B&B's and small hotels on both sides, and it is a five-minute stroll to Paddington station, which is where the Heathrow Express comes in, the quickest way to get into London. It costs L12 (about $20) and runs every 15 minutes.

Jun 8th, 2000, 05:04 AM
vicki

Thanks for your responses. Do you have an E-mail or web site for the Norfolk?Vicki

Jun 8th, 2000, 09:48 AM
Matt

Hey Vicki, I stayed at the Dolphin in March and found it acceptable. The front desk agents were courteous (especially an older gent with glasses, dry and funny) and the room was basic and comfortable. Beware though, all rooms there are very small and somewhat worn. Don't expect much and you'll be fine.

On the brighter side, the breakfast rocked my world each day. Stayed in many places throughout Europe with good breakfasts, but the Dolphin's was extra good and inviting. The ladies who serve it are nice and will cook you up an excellent American breakfast for some spare change. My girlfriend still mentions without prodding how good that breakfast tasted each day.

Good location (a hundred yards to Paddington tube entrance) with lots of restaurants and shops, great breakfast, nice folks, and humble room. You could do a lot worse for such a low price. Good luck.

Jun 9th, 2000, 10:21 PM
Diane

Hi, Vicki. Norfolk Plaza Hotel: [email protected] - website: norfolkplazahotel.co.uk

Prior to our trip beginning June 21, I emailed six small hotels I had chosen off the smoothhound.co.uk site and asked them what price they could give me for five nights in London. Five answered my email, two to say they were full on my dates, but the other three all offered a 10-20% discount off their advertised rates. I did this only about 10 days before our arrival. Perhaps they knew by this time that they weren't going to be full on those dates.

We got approximately a 25% discount on one night at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel by walking in 4 days prior to our departure. We were going to York and then returning for one night before leaving for the U.S. the next morning; we were looking for a quiet hotel near Paddington Station.