Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend another city other than Aix en Provence to visit that is within a 2 hour train ride from Nice?

Can anyone recommend another city other than Aix en Provence to visit that is within a 2 hour train ride from Nice?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:20 AM
Libby

I have priced Aix en Provence and the hotels are just a bit more than I want to pay. But is it worth it? Can anyone suggest other cities to visit within a two hour train ride from Nice?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Davidx

Not exactly a great city but Annot on the private railway to Digne is beautifully situated with a wonderful old town area.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:52 AM
xxx.xxx

I enjoyed Antibes. I bought a great print at a nice street market and the Picasso Musuem was great.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Surlok

I second xxx suggestion, Cap D' Antibes is a lovely town, and quite close to Nice. Also Saint Paul de Vence, and Vence, where the chapel with Chagall vitraux is, both also close to Nice, as are Village sur Eze and Eze itself, and Villefranche sur Mer.

I didn't particularly enjoyed Aix, besides, the villages and towns above are much closer to Nice than Aix is.

Regards,

Surlok

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Surlok

Sorry, no train ride to St. Paul or Vence, but there are buses, and they are about 30 to 50 minutes from Nice.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:30 AM
q

I agree with Surlok - on all of the villages!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Belinda

Antibes with Cap d'Antibes! It is great! Go see the Picasso Museum and walk around in vieille ( old) Antibes!
Also, Monaco & Cannes are located within a two hour train ride from Nice. I don't know if there are train rides to Grasse and Saint Paul. Both are great places. Grasse is known for making perfume.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:03 PM
xxx

You can't find a reasonably priced hotel in Aix, a university town filled with hotels? I can't imagine that you'll find anything cheaper in Antibes, probably the reverse.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Christina

Someone asked about train route from Aix just the other day -- towns are Menton, Antibes, Cannes, Cagnes-sur-Mer, Monaco, Frejus, closest to Nice, then I guess TOulon. There is no train to Grasse. The train runs along the coast, mostly. Aside from all this, I do wonder about what you are planning as there is a wide variety of hotels in Aix at all prices. It is cheaper than Paris. If you can't afford a 2-star hotel in Aix, you probably aren't going to in any Cote d'Azur town, unless it's just that you are trying for a period when they are already all booked up. Aix even has a handful of 2-star hotels, like Hotel Paul, with rates close to hostel-level.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Christina

Someone asked about train route from Aix just the other day -- towns are Menton, Antibes, Cannes, Cagnes-sur-Mer, Monaco, Frejus, closest to Nice, then I guess TOulon. There is no train to Grasse. The train runs along the coast, mostly. Aside from all this, I do wonder about what you are planning as there is a wide variety of hotels in Aix at all prices. It is cheaper than Paris. If you can't afford a 2-star hotel in Aix, you probably aren't going to in any Cote d'Azur town, unless it's just that you are trying for a period when they are already all booked up. Aix even has a handful of 1-star hotels, like Hotel Paul, with rates close to hostel-level.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:45 PM
ann

Where are you looking for hotels - as someone else just said, Aix is a university town filled with young people and I found it to be less expensive than Vence or St Paul. I did have a car and stayed on the edge of town - there are several chain type hotels out by the highway (but quite nice if you don't mind modern). Even if you don't have a car there were public buses running all the time and it was only ten minutes or less from our hotel to the main traffic circle (I think the train station was around there). Try France-hotel-online.com or placestostay.com or france-hotel-guide.com. I don't recall which one I used for Aix but there are plenty out there. We really enjoyed Aix.