Search

Honeymoon Itinerary Needs Your Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Itinerary Needs Your Feedback

Hi everyone!

We have a tentative honeymoon schedule (in September) in Greece that could really use your input. I tried to read as much as I possibly could on this forum and other websites, and have come up with this "bone structure." However, having never been to Greece, it would still be most wonderful to have feedback and suggestions. Thank you for your help in advance.

1. Athens to Santorini (Fly; stay at Katikies for 3 nights)
2. Santorini to Crete (Sea by Hellenic Seaways or Hellas Flying Dolphins)
3. Stay in Crete for 4 nights (At first, we were thinking Blue Palace in Elounda but now, we are leaning towards staying in Casa Delfino after reading all the comments on Crete).
4. Fly from Crete to Athens
5. Stay in Athens for 2 nights

Questions:
1. Since it is our honeymoon, we do want to relax but it would be even better to be close enough to explore a few places on the island. Elounda just seems too far away. Is that correct?
2. Other than Casa Delfino, any other suggestion? Another lux hotel that is close to the area?
3. From the port of Heraklio, what do you suggest our transportation should be? Rental car? How far is the drive? Should we book it in advance?
4. On Flying Dolphin, there are economy and business class. What are the differences?
5. Lastly, what hotel do you recommend in Athens?

Thank you SO MUCH for any feedback and suggestion.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:20 PM

As far as the Cat to Crete, the difference between Economy and Business is negligible. For a 2-hour hop why worry? Save your money and spend it on an extra bottle of wine.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, brotherleelove2004.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Is it necessary to book the ferry in advance?
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 11:57 AM

On Crete, I would definitely recommend renting a car. As you know it is a large island, and very lovely, and I very much enjoy getting off the main roads and seeing the sights from a more rural perspective. If you have a car, it matters less where your hotel is located.

You ask what hotel in Athens. Part of this is price, but judging from where you are staying in Santorini and Crete, it looks like you are making a truly wonderful and memorable honeymoon, and are willing to pay for it. If that is the case, you should definitely stay at the Grande Bretagne in Athens. Not cheap, but very very nice, and definitely worth it for a special occasion. If you can, get a room with a balcony looking out on the street. I still remember the crisp sheets, the fabulous service, and sitting on the balcony eating an incredible breakfast and watching the world go by.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM

It's not necessary to book the ferry in advance of your arrival on Santorini, but once you're there I suggest you book ahead just to be on the safe side. In Oia, go to Karvounis Tours. Markos can make the booking for you. His office is next to the main square by the big church. Be aware that after September 18 the Cat only goes to Crete 5 days a week.

http://www.greekislands.gr/hfd/
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM

PS: My in-laws just got back from Crete and they stayed at a place that they loved in Chania called Palazzo di Pietro. They are generally pretty picky, and they just have been raving about it. I just looked up the reviews on tripadvisor.com for this hotel, and others seem to like it as well. Plus its price may help you make the decision to stay at the Grande Bretagne in Athens!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:29 PM

the grecotel group has many properties in crete and a throughout Greece, and a few in Athens, one is next door to the
grand bretagne in athens. also the st george lycabitos hotel is nice.

You could split your days in crete,
and stay near/in Hania for 2 days and
then wind your way to Elounda for the
other 2. Casa Delfino is very nice
and is located in Hania (Chaina)near the harbor.
blue palace is more of a resort.

Good Luck and congratuations
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:51 AM

As for Crete,split you stay. I would suggest 2 nights in Elounda and 2 nights in Chania at the Casa Delphino.
You will have a taste of extreme east and west Crete experience.
You will fly to Athens from
Chania airport.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

We will definitely rent a car in Crete. Can we rent one after we disembark from the sea ride?

We will look for Markos when we are in Santorini.

We are unable to book the Grande Bretagne as it is completely booked. We reserved at Divani Caravel instead. Any comments on this hotel?

Thanks for all your feedback, Eleni, brotherleelove2004, wowjojo, and mzani. We really appreciate it.