Can anyone offer a review of Marriotts in Capri, Milan, Naples, and/or Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have roughly a half million Marriott Reward points that we are going to be using for hotels and airline miles. If anyone has stayed at any of the following Marriotts and has any comments to make, they would be appreciated. The one in Capri used to be the Tiberio Palace and is now under major reconcstruction. The one in Naples is itself just recently acquired by Marriott. Most welcome of all will be any review of the Marriott Hotel Flora in Rome. Thanks!

1 Capri Marriott Hotel >> Capri
Via Croce 11 - 15 Capri, 80073
2 Milan Marriott Hotel >> Milan
Via Washington, 66 Milan, 20146
3 Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo >>
Via Nuova Ponte di Tappia, 25Naples,80133
4 Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora >>
Via Vittorio Veneto, 191 Rome, 00187
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 04:43 PM

I would sure try the hotel in Rome. Although some don't agree, I love the Via Veneto and cannot imagine a hotel there not being good. Assume the hotels' original name was the "Grand Hotel Flora"? I am trying to remember if I recall a hotel with that name but at the moment I don't, but cannot imagine a hotel on the Via Veneto you would not be happy with.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 06:21 PM

I had friends stay at the Grand Hotel Flora and said it was a bit too far away but the hotel was wonderful. I would suggest calling early to use your points, we called a few weeks ago for that Marriott in Rome in planning for a trip in June of 2005 and they were not accepting any more Marriott rewards.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments on the Rome Marriott. And, especially the heads-up on points redemptions.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 04:59 AM

1. Capri. This just became a Marriott a few months. I don?t know anything about it.

2. Milan Marriott. NOT a nice hotel at all, in desperate need of a redo ( you will go back in time to the 1970s, and not in a convenient location for sightseeing. I would stay at another hotel here. Run a search for ideas.

3. Naples. This just became a Marriott a few months ago. It is a very nice hotel in a good location for Naples. I am just not crazy about Naples and prefer to stay in Amalfi or Positano.

4. Rome. I have stayed several times. It is a few blocks from the Westin and would disagree with the above poster that it is ?too far away?. Very nice hotel, well-maintained, the bar serves the best Bellini?s in Rome, IMO. I personally like the Spanish Steps area better, but for a free hotel in Rome, I would take the Marriott.

I second the recco above about making a reservation ASAP, the Rome and Capri hotels are going to be very popular with Marriott Rewards people, and there are blackout dates.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:38 AM

The Marriott Grand Flora on Via Veneto in Rome is a lovely hotel in a great location. It is elegant, the service is good and the rooms well appointed.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Hi there,

My wife and I just came back from Italy a month ago or so. I'm not familiar with the Marriott in Capri, but I can give you some reviews about the other two:

***Marriott in Rome - Like you, I used my Marriott points, we were upgraded to an executive room, received a choice of amenities, we were greeted by the concierge manager, and evenmore because of my status - platinum member (I'm pretty sure you are too, because of so many miles), we were able to have a complimentary breakfast buffet in the restaurant. We thought service was great, very consistent and the rooms are nicely appointed. The breakfast was bountiful for a great start of the day. The location is great, walking distance to the spanish steps, sites, shops and restaurants, and if you are up to it, you can even walk to the Roma Termini. We would definitely stay here.

***Milan Marriott - What an opposite experience from Rome. Lack of service, it took 15-20 minutes just to check in. Was never greeted with a smile. I was offer to get 500 Marriott Rewards points instead of receiving the amenity, and I still have not gotten it. The breakfast buffet is ok, but not the greatest. The hotel needs major renovations, the walls in the hallways are peeling, and the overnight room are lacking of design and "desire" to stay. Location is not convenient at all. Approx. 20 min. w/ taxi from the train station. It's in a residential area and there isn't much to do around it. My recommendation is to save your points and use them for a future stay somewhere else. You can find a nicer hotel close to the main sites.

Have fun!

Carlos
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Jackpot! Great information. Very thankful to all. Yes, Carlos. We are Platinum. We were recently notched up to Platinum Premier, a 4th level that Marriott recently added. Don't know we'll be able to keep that status for our stay in 2006--our status is due to expire in 2/2006, but hope we will be able to keep it as we have had phenomenal service at Marriotts since getting that designation.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 09:29 AM

yes, most definitely enjoy it. But like I said, don't expect much from the Marriott in Milan, you'll be very dissapointed. They must be a franchise, not corporate owned Marriott.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Capri -- You don't say when you are going to travel.

We stayed at Gran Flora and thoroughly enjoyed it. Breakfast was a suprise treat, however, if you prefer to start your day Italian style, the bar that the hotel employees use is at the opposite end of the block. Very interesting barista, he lived in the US and took good care of we tourists.

As far as booking the room, KEEP TRYING!!!! They apparently mete out the rooms, we booked one room in December for a May stay, and didn't get the other until late march. I was frustrated initally, but checked every few days and eventually was successful.

Buona fortuna !!!!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Glad your Grand Flora was a good experience. Our trip will start in mid-May, 2006.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:07 PM

I agree with the comments on the Milan Marriott. I just came back the other day and was quite disappointed with the hotel. It's in a random area and in desperate need of an update.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Capri -- I now see that you haad mentioned going in 2006. It generally is too far in advance to make reservations for most hotels, even for some in 2005.

Eighteen months is probably more anticipaton than I could take. Nine months was alot.

I guess you will be living on this site, like many of us. Welcome.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mmr! I'll definitely be searching the site from time to time for information of interest. We will be booking in June of 2005, our May of 2006 reservations. Last year we had actually checked with the Marriott Club and it seems that the earliest one can book reservations for a Rewards stay is 330 days in advance of the last date you would be in a location, if that makes sense. If all goes well, we'll have our rooms for free and our flights as well.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:44 AM

Stayed at Marriott Rome (Grand Flora) for 6 nights in March 2002 on Marriott Rewards points. Very nice hotel with generally good service. Concierge seemed indifferent, but both the front desk personnel and bartenders were excellent. Did not try the restaurant...seemed very expensive.

The hotel is at the top of Via Veneto and we thought it was a good location. The subway entrance is across the street, although you will actually walk a bit to get to the platform. Also, that entrance/exit closes around 8 or 9 PM so if you get back later you will have to exit in the park on the other side of the city wall. Still, it is only a short walk back to the hotel.

When using Marriott points, book early. This is one of the most popular Marriott hotels for using points and award rooms are very limited, particularly in peak summer season. Experience reported on FlyerTalk suggests booking as soon as award rooms become available which is 11 or 12 months in advance (I forget which).
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:27 AM

ARen't all marriots pretty much the same? I'd at least stay a night in Capri at a b&b or inn for a little more local flavor!
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:33 AM

Not all Marriots are the same with respects to decor, hotel rating, pricing, quality etc. However, when it comes to Marriott standards (i.e. service, s.o.ps, etc), yes they are all supposed to be consistent and that's why it's known about it, and all or most of them (corporate and francise) are supposed to comply with this standards.