Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH MY TRIESTE< SLOVENIA & CROATIA ITINERARY SO I'M NOT BACKTRACKING?

Search

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH MY TRIESTE< SLOVENIA & CROATIA ITINERARY SO I'M NOT BACKTRACKING?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Trieste and want to see Piran, Rovinj, Motovun, and Lake Bled and Ljubljiana. After 5 days we need to be in Venice. Where should we go from Trieste, and how do we proceed so we don't do too much backtracking. We'll have a car in Cro &amp; Slo, but will have to take some form of public transportation to Venice. Any suggestions and where should our last stop be? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:40 AM

Hi Zwho - It might make sense to make Llubljiana your last stop if you plan to travel to Venice by train.

There's a direct train daily (dep. 10.28).
Journey time: 3hrs.40'
For details see:

www.trenitalia.com

Alternatively there's a bus service between Pula and Venice.

Dep. Pula. 05.30
Journey time: 5hrs. 15'

See:
http://www.fils.hr/home.php/-3-0-0-2-Lines

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. We will probably make our last stop Ljub. Do you know if the train is a better option then a bus? And that's assuming there is bus service from Ljub to Venice. I'm just trying to explore all my options, so we don't waste a minute of the small amount of time we've got to be there. Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 04:46 AM

I don't know of a bus service on this route - maybe someone else can help.

Given the choice, personally I'd go by train ...

Steve
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Most trains and buses from Slovenia and the Istrian peninsula to Italy will take you to Trieste. From Trieste, there are trains every hour to Venezia with a journey time of about two hours. These trains do not need seat reservations so you can just buy a ticket at the station and get on the next train; they all go to Venezia Santa Lucia station in the old city. Wherever you go in Slovenia or Croatia, you'll be able to get to Trieste. If you arrive in Trieste by bus, the bus station is next door to the railway station.