Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me with the actual price of a capuccino at Cafe Florian

Oct 11th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

I have been discussing with a friend the actual price of 2 capuccinos plus the music charge at Cafe Florian in Venice.
Can any one help us to settle this accurately ?
Thank you.
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:02 AM

I can't tell you the actual price of a cappichino, but it sounds like you think you may have been charged unfairly? I can tell you what they like to do (not everyone) is what's called "The Slow Count" and that is 1/2-way through giving a tourist change, they kind'a go slow or stop, so the receiver thinks they're done, thereby justifying the balance of the change for themselves. It's happened to me twice, but luckily, both times, the Italian behind me told me to get the rest of my change. And what does 'music charge' mean?
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:10 AM

Virgi, "Music Charge" is for the live music they play in front of their cafe in warmer seasons and it costs like something like €10 or a bit less.

I had a hot chocolate there in November once inside and it costed like 8€, a few years ago I think. Sorry I cannot answer the exact question by OP.
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:17 AM
ira

Hi G,

In E or USD?

Oct 11th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira, in euros will be fine. Virgi : I do not think I had been unfairly charged. We have this discussion with a friend, actually is regarding the new fines in Venice for having picnics in the Piazza San Marcos. I happen to agree, because I understand the Venetians and also I wished to make a point to my friend, saying: If you are paying.............euros, for two capuccinos + a music fee, you are not expecting Goethe sitting next to you, but you would prefer not having people having a picnic on the floor next to you.
Thak you for your help. May not everybody agrees wih me like my friend and I respect that.
Oct 11th, 2007, 03:39 AM

"you are not expecting Goethe sitting next to you" - very funny, Graziella !
Oct 11th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi Caroline as you know Goethe was one of the patrons of Cafe Florian, I used it metaphorically to say that although I did not expect an XVIII century Cafe Florian I expect some charm, some relax feeling while sipping my 8 euro + capuccino listing to the orchestra.
Touristic ? Yes. But also very nice.
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:20 AM

I know what you mean, Graziella, and I agree with you.

We did hot chocolate in CF one Christmas and it was very nice, apart from emerging to Paul McCartney's 'Wonderful Christmas Time' being blasted round the square ! Last time in Venice (summer) we considered a drink sitting outside one of the other cafes one evening, but decided against it when we worked out that 2 G&Ts + service + music charge would cost £25 !!!
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

I also agree with you Caroline. Sometimes it might be worth it, sometimes it might not. Is like taking a taxi versus the metro, that is why is good to know the options and choose wisely. Have a great time in Venice next time.
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:33 AM

In May, an expresso was 5E plus a 9E "music charge." Well worth it as we sat for almost 2 hours listening to fabulous music and enjoying the evening.

I too would have been annoyed to pay those prices and have people parked on the ground next to us picnicking. As it was there were herds of people standing around the perimeter of the cafe seating but they moved on fairly quickly and we were seated closer to the orchestra so weren't really bothered.
Oct 11th, 2007, 07:01 AM

My son paid 7E (about $10USD) for a glass of diet coke.
Oct 11th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Good thing I don't throw away receipts. Unfortunately, I don't drink capuccino. I had the caffe americano for EUR7.80. Coke was EUR 7.80 and a club sandwich for EUR14.50. EUR11 for the music supplement. That meal, IMO, was the biggest waste of money in my entire European trip last year.
Oct 11th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Do we not know about the "decorum hostesses"? They went into service a few months ago, nice young Venetian volunteers who, how shall I put this? "indicate" to a tourist in the Piazza that their behavior does not meet the acceptable "decorum? standards of Venice. Of course, there are the fines as well, but the hostesses will let you know that you may not go without a shirt on hot days in the Piazza, nor spread your picnic materials around the steps of the Basilica and eat, etc. etc. But that doesn't really do much to solve the huge tourist overcrowding in Venice, and it makes a lot of people angry, particularly the powerful Venice hoteliers association, who thinks it absurd for tourists not to be able to eat sandwiches in the Piazza. Here's an article about the hostesses, and an overview of the everpresent tourist problem in San Marco:

Venice Sinks In a Sea of Tourists

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,2626174,00.html

Oct 11th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Thanks Graziella, you too !
Oct 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Makes the $8 cuppa java in Tuscany sound like a bargain!
Oct 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Not capuccino, but paid 12 Euro for a cup of tea for my family.
Oct 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM

I was at Cafe Florian in early July of this year and paid 5.80 Euro for the cover charge plus 10 Euro for a Limoncello.