Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone critique the Lowndes Hotel in London?

Mar 17th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

I bought a air/hotel package from BA and we are staying at the Lowndes Hotel in Belgravia.
I cannot seem to find any reviews of this hotel.
Can anyone help?
Thanks. Sherry
Mar 17th, 2003, 03:14 PM

Here is a thread with a positive review from late last year:

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1301664

(Which I found by typing "lowndes AND london" in the text search box.) By typing the same thing with "review" added in Google, I found some other good feedback here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_10341158532
Mar 17th, 2003, 03:21 PM

Is this the Hyatt Lowndes Hotel? If so then it is opposite Lowndes Square, a private park, about one block from the Knightsbridge tube station. Harvey Nichols department store is close by, its a short walk to Harrods and Hyde Park is two or so blocks away.

The property was 4 or 5 stories, probably a converted townhouse, with small but comfortable rooms. There was a nice brasserie (sp) off the lobby, good coffee and toast in the morning (but had lunch and supper elsewhere). Hope this helps.
Mar 17th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Funny you should ask. Just returned last night from a week in London and the countryside. Stayed at the Lowndes for the first 3 nights (also booked through BA). Of the several hotels we've stayed at in London over the years, in different price ranges, we like the Lowndes the best. It's small (73 rooms), staff are friendly and extremely accommodating. The lobby and rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable. The standard rooms are small, but that's typical of European hotels. Great neighborhood -- close to shopping, good restaurants, nice pubs, easy transportation (bus and tube). Good buffet breakfasts (cereal, fruit, cold cuts, smoked salmon, croissants, 3 kinds of juice -- all you would want) come with the price of the room. One of the hottest restaurants in London is right next door (called Zeffarelli, I think -- didn't eat there, but it's highly recommended by the hotel staff). I can personally recommend a wonderful restaurant a block away -- One-oh-One -- on Knightsbridge. Terrific for fish, and a wonderful wait staff that couldn't do enough for us. (Not cheap, though.) Also check out the Star Pub on Belgravia Mews, for a quiet drink in a nice neighborhood pub. After a few days in the country we came back to London and stayed at the Colonnade Town House in Little Venice, which was also nice, but next time we're in London we'll definitely book again at the Lowndes.
Have fun!
Mar 17th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lesli. I guess my search powers are deserting me. The only reference I could come up with is that they have a restaurant that participated in the Mayor's pre dinner theater program.

Curiousgeo. It sounds like the address, but I do not think Hyatt owns it now. I can buy something for a picnic at Harrod's or Harvey Nichol's and have a picnic at the park.

Aprillilacs. This is wonderful news. After hearing about the cost of nice hotels in London, I was very surprised at the total cost of this trip which included this hotel.
And thank you for the restaurants nearby.
This is my first trip to London, so wish me luck.