Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone British tell me if this is a good recipe for Figgy Pudding?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Patrice

Figgy Pudding with Custard Sauce<BR><BR>A traditional English steamed pudding served during the Christmas holiday. This version calls for butter and shortening instead of suet, a solid white fat from the loin and kidney regions of meat animals.<BR><BR>1/2 cup butter <BR>1/2 cup shortening <BR>1 cup sugar <BR>3 egg yolks <BR>1 cup milk <BR>2 tablespoons rum extract <BR>1 apple, peeled and cored and finely chopped <BR>1 pound dried figs, ground or finely chopped <BR>Grated peel of 1 lemon and 1 orange <BR>1 cup chopped nuts <BR>1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon <BR>1/4 teaspoon ground cloves <BR>1/4 teaspoon ground ginger <BR>1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs <BR>2 teaspoons baking powder <BR>3 egg whites, stiffly beaten <BR>Custard Sauce (recipe follows) <BR>Sweetened whipped cream (optional) <BR>Preheat oven to 325*F (160*C). Generously grease an oven-proof 2-quart bowl or mold; set aside. <BR>Cream together butter and shortening. Gradually add sugar, egg yolks, milk, extract, apple, figs, lemon and orange peel. Add next 6 ingredients, mixing well. Fold stiffly beaten egg whites into mixture. <BR>Pour into prepared bowl or mold and place into large shallow pan and place on middle rack in oven. Fill the shallow pan half-full with boiling water and steam pudding in oven slowly for 4 hours, replacing water as needed. <BR>Custard Sauce:<BR><BR>2 cups milk<BR>1 egg<BR>3/4 cups sugar<BR>1 tablespoon water<BR>1 teaspoon vanilla extract<BR>1 tablespoon all-purpose flour<BR>1 tablespoon butter <BR>In saucepan, scald milk and allow to cool. <BR>Mix together remaining ingredients, except for butter. Add to cooled milk. Cook over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter, mixing well. <BR>Serve pudding warm with custard sauce or sweetened whipped cream. Store unused portions in refrigerator. <BR>Makes 12 servings.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:04 AM
elaine

wow, I want to try this<BR>anyone know where I can get a steamed pudding mold in the US?<BR>I already checked the Williams Sonoma website.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Richard

Elaine:I think you can put it in Cheese cloth but I am no expert just had this one xmas in Bristol England at someone's home. It is yummy served hot with the home made custard. The woman who made it told me it was boilded in cheese cloth and shaped into a ball, support the shape with string. Gee I hope not everyone in England has signed off for the evening this would be fun.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:14 AM
elaine

wow, I want to try this<BR>anyone know where I can get a 2-quart steamed pudding mold in the US?<BR>I already checked the Williams Sonoma website.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:16 AM
elaine

sorry for the repetition, I didn't see that it went through the first time<BR>Thanks for the info Richard, I'm going to check with Bridge Kitchenware in New York--they're supposed to carry everything in cookware<BR>I'll post if they have one

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Patrice

Elaine I found some steamed pudding molds by searching on the internet (google and Yahoo search engines) but tell me if you find in NYC because I live here also. I wonder if you can break this recipe down. I have heard people complain about this being and easy dish to foil.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Julie

Patrice, This recipe sounds absolutely decadent! Let us know how it turns out.<BR><BR>Elaine, Another option for a place to find a steamed pudding mold in NYC might be:<BR><BR>Cake Gallery<BR>56 W. 22nd Street<BR>212-675-2253

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Patrice

Elaine 6-7 cups do you think that makes it for 2 quarts oh well I never cook this should be an adventure. Found the mold at this website let me know if you find it in NYC. Would be nice to cook this on the weekend.<BR>http://www.happycookers.com/wc.dll/products/divulge/1-5575.html<BR><BR>Julie thanks for your support. I will remember it as I am plucking figging pudding from my ceiling no doubt!!!

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:50 AM
elaine

Hi Julie<BR>I've been to New York Cake Supplies many times at 44 West 22nd, bwtw 5th and 6th, just checked their website, they have pudding molds although not 2-quart. It's usually a wonderful source for this sort of thing, odd pans and wonderful baking ingredients and decorations. It's a bakers dream store.<BR>Sounds like the Cake Gallery might be on the very next block. They don't seem to have a website, maybe I'll get down there. Or I'll get a smaller mold and just cut down the recipe.<BR>thanks

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:54 AM
elaine

Patrice<BR>Forgot to give you the url for<BR>NY Cake supplies<BR>http://www.nycakesupplies.com<BR>One of the molds specifically says for Steamed Puddings, and it holds 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups)

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Patrice

called cake gallery they have metal cake molds but no steamed pudding molds. I will try Zabar next.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Julie

Patrice & Elaine, I'm beginning to get the nagging feeling that NY Cake Supplies and the Cake Gallery are one and the same...? Hope I didn't give out bad info. Keep us posted on the Pudding Saga.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Patrice

zabars would not tell me over the phone and vinegar factory also did not have. Cannot believe this is so hard to find.<BR>Looks like you can use a bowl also but I think presentation is everything with this dish.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Julie

Patrice, Have you thought of Martha Stewart's web site? I'm with you, I can't believe that it should that difficult (particularly in NYC) to find it.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 01:04 PM
janis

you can use any relatively deep vs width mixing bowl - ironstone type things. The pudding molds my neighbors used when I lived in England were just such bowls with fairly thick rims so you could tie the cheese cloth cover.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 01:08 PM
zorro

say this verse very fast im not the fig plucker im the fig pluckers son ill pluck figs till the fig plucker comes. espsecially when someone has had a few drinks. most never get thru the second part

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Patrice

Janis do I need a cover. Will try Martha Stewart but I was hoping to cook this weekend. Also I don't see anything in this recipe on cheese cloth think that makes this a bad recipe?

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Betsy

You can use a 2 lb. coffee can instead of a mold. Make a cover from foil. Grease can very generously. <BR><BR>Recipe looks yummy.<BR><BR>Bon appetit!

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Patrice

Betsy are you British? Have you tried the coffee can alternative? sounds right. Don't go to bed yet?

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 01:39 PM
BetsY

British by ancestry (maternal greatgrand parents). Have tried the coffee can alternative with other receipes that suggest using a mold; it works fine except the shape of the final product won't be as pretty. Actually, using a 1-lb. coffee can would probably work too--whichever is closest to eight cups.<BR><BR>I'm in CA where it's nowhere near bedtime!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -