Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can American Airlines heat up a hot pack in the microwave? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-american-airlines-heat-up-a-hot-pack-in-the-microwave-525132/)

aggiemom Apr 28th, 2005 02:03 PM

Can American Airlines heat up a hot pack in the microwave?

I've been hoping my back would feel better, but only 4 days to my trip and I've got a spasm that won't quit. If I bring my heat-in-the-microwave pack will AA heat it for me?? If they cannot, are those paper/one use heating back pads okay to bring on board? No security issues (not that I can imagine what they'd be!)?

Underhill Apr 28th, 2005 02:08 PM

I think it's not a question of "can" but of "will" they--and the best way to get a definitive answer would be to call the airline. I hope the answer is yes, as I've wondered about that myself.

aggiemom Apr 28th, 2005 02:18 PM

Underhill, you are exactly right. Of course I should call the airline! My mind is not working correctly. Guess I'm a little stressed about making this a great trip for my Mom's first visit to Europe. I'm in charge of everything and I feel pretty confident but the closer it gets I'm getting nervous. I'll call AA right now and post the results. Thanks.

TexasAggie Apr 28th, 2005 02:21 PM

please do - we fly AA all the time. I'm curious too!

seetheworld Apr 28th, 2005 02:23 PM

aggiemom: I don't know if you have ever used those air-activated heat wraps (I use ThermaCare) but they are fabulous and long lasting. I would tuck one in your carryon and the rest in your luggage. I hope you can get the answer you are looking for. Be sure to get some rest with a heat pack now so that perhaps your spasm can subside. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

suze Apr 28th, 2005 02:27 PM

I'm guessing the answer might be no, with the reasoning "if we do it for you we will have to do it for everyone".

Plenty of people have health issues, back problems, and no one is comfortable in coach on a long flight.

If the answer is yes, I'd love to hear about it though.

aggiemom Apr 28th, 2005 02:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I just called American Airlines and they said "I can't tell you for sure if there are microwaves on board a particular aircraft. It says there are ovens, but it does not state what type." So, they can't guarantee that a microwave would be available and therefore can't guarantee they actually would heat it up for me. But, thanks, seetheworld - I couldn't remember the name of those things! I checked with AA and on the TSA website and so far it seems these are safe to bring on board and use although the woman at AA could not confirm this. I'll go for it. I dread the thought of 9 hours in coach with a spasm!! Might have to visit the doc and get some muscle relaxants. Probably help me sleep....Thanks everyone.

Intrepid1 Apr 28th, 2005 02:38 PM

If you could bring a heat pack that is charged in a microwave on board then why wouldn't you be able to bring a paper/one use one?

I suspect the answer is going to be "no" since the airplane doesn't have a microwave but rather a high-speed convection oven. Furthermore, there are probably liability issues, whether you agree with them or not, a la the infamous MacDonald's hot coffee scalded me case.

I'm surprised the well-known troll police haven't pounced on this one by now.

jody Apr 28th, 2005 02:42 PM

I think Intrepid is correct ..they use high speed convection or speed cook ovens...You should have no problems bringing the air release heat packs. I had 24 of the small ones ( i have what they call "white finger") in my carry-on luggage a few months ago with no problems.

aggiemom Apr 28th, 2005 03:16 PM

Intrepid1 - I'm just curious. Do you think I'M a troll? Or do you think this is just a stupid question that only a troll could ask it? I'm new to this board - March '05 - so I don't "get" this troll thing. And, curiouser, would a troll ask a question like this? It doesn't seem to be controversial.

LoveItaly Apr 28th, 2005 03:18 PM

Hi aggiemom, I would like to suggest that you get to your doctor right away. And muscles relaxators is probably exactly what he will prescribe. Please do this, you do not want to be incapacitated on the flight or on your trip.

Best wishes to you.

FainaAgain Apr 28th, 2005 03:22 PM

Aggie, most likely he meant other "frequent visitors" on this board, not you.

TexasAggie Apr 28th, 2005 03:27 PM

Yes, I am sure he/she did not mean you personally. I have read many of your posts and they are all very legitimate.

Out of curiousity, may I ask about your screen name? Do you have a child at Texas A&M? I am Class of 2002, though I have since moved from TX to Colorado.

aggiemom Apr 28th, 2005 03:37 PM

Love, Faina, TAggie - thanks for calming troll fears. The closer this trip gets, though, I have to admit my mind is not working at its best! Thanks, LoveItaly, it probably is wise to see the doc. I just hate doing it....

TexasAggie: I am the mother of the proudest member of the Fighting Aggies class of 2008 (forgive me for not knowing the exact wording for that speech that my daughter taught me!) We are not native Texans - here only three years - but we love A&M. Trying to convince the other two to go there, too (then we'd buy a condo and save some money on housing!)

kp Apr 28th, 2005 03:37 PM

I agree--a trip to the Dr. is what you need.
Last month after the first meds. prescribed for a back spasm didn't work I ended up on Valium, Oxycodone, and Nabumetone!
Get to the Dr. ASAP!

Intrepid1 Apr 28th, 2005 03:50 PM

No, I did not mean to imply that this is a troll post. The "troll police" consists of a couple of people who have become self-appointed monitors of all that is fair and decent on this board. They have yet to define the criteria they use so we can only guess.

Anyway, I hope your back feels better but IMO you probably need to have it assessed by a professional..perhaps some medication might help.

TexasAggie Apr 28th, 2005 03:51 PM

Oh my, the Class of 2008 is already at A&M? My younger sister is a member of the "Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2005" and will finish up her graduate degree in about a year.

I LOVED my years at A&M. I started in the fall of 1998 and graduated with an undergrad and grad degree in August of 2002. I sometimes wish I hadn't rushed through so fast now that I've had a career for a couple of years and realize there is nothing but more work in my future! In any case, I am sure your daughter will have no problem convincing at least one of the others to become an Aggie.

I hope your back feels better and have a wonderful trip!

P.S. There are some new little houses(built 3-4 years ago) out Hwy. 2818 that many parents have been buying for their college students to live in. After the kids graduate, the parents often sell the house. You might have your daughter check them out!

wren Apr 28th, 2005 04:09 PM

I have a niece graduating this spring from grad school at A&M, and her sister has another year. Of course, I am a Longhorn from the 70's and even though UT has undoubtedly changed, I am still a Longhorn at heart!

aggiemom Apr 28th, 2005 04:30 PM

TAggie - our middle daughter is leaning towards A&M, but the youngest seems to prefer being a Longhorn - that'll make wren happy! Austin is great, too. As far as condos, our daughter already has looked as some but I told her this year all the "extra" money is booked for travel! My Mom and I to Germany next week and then husband and I to Ireland?? Italy?? for our 20th anniversary. There is so much great stuff on Italy recently, I'm getting really interested.

Intrepid1 - thanks for clarifying. I tend to be a little naive and take most things posted as truths. However, when they are pointed out as trolls, I can usually see it.

Again, thank you all for your well wishes. I guess I'll have to visit the doctor and get some meds. It'd probably only get worse on the flight if I had nothing.

suze Apr 28th, 2005 04:36 PM

<it probably is wise to see the doc. I just hate doing it...>

What's so bad about going to the doctor? And please ask for a muscle relaxant or a prescription pain killer. Plus, yes, they will help you sleep on the plane and make the entire experience more pleasant!