camping in france

Search

camping in france

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camping in france

My friend and I are hiking in the Burgundy area and would like to rent a tent instead of hauling one over from the U.S. Does anyone know of a rental shop in Lyon or nearby. We are hiking for one week. Thank you!
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 10:53 AM

Try Dijon, the closest large city to the classic Burgundy. There are loads of chain sporting goods stores in malls now so buying a cheap tent and just giving it away may be your best option - been in France a lot and never recall any tent rentals - but the Beaune Tourist Office - largish regional town at center of classic Burgundy may know - email them.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 10:55 AM

http://www.go-sport.com/

Go Sports is one large low-price outdoors gear company - check their catalog - gotta have a store in any large city IME.

http://www.beaune-tourism.com/Genera...ort-beaune.asp
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 12:12 PM

Have a look at Quechua tents. Cheap, throw up tents.
Of course that doesn't solve the bedding, cooking and eating problems.
There are plenty of "festival" tents, for little money on the market. I happen to know the Quechua tents as my son has travelled Europe with one, and survived rainstorms and gales unscathed.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 01:37 PM

Most of the campgrounds in France have rental tents which are most convenient for you. Often they have funny names like "pagan" or "bengali". These tents are complete with bedding, sheets and pantry.

Tell me where you want to stay so that I can give you more detailed information.

I am a seasoned camper in France and I love staying in tents.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

We are hiking from Beaune-Pommard-Meursault-Puligny Montrachet-Chassagne-Montrachet-Santenay-Nolay-Beaune route, gone 5 days. Thank you for your info. How much are the tents nightly? And any other info. would be appreciated!
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:29 AM

Camping Libre is free camping and tolerated in many rural areas - you must be discrete - don't trample crops, etc and be out of sight of the road. I've done this before.

In organized camps tents may cost several euros for a camping spot in the cheapest municipal run camps - which virtually every town seems to have.

I have camped in zillions of French camps and I would never say most of them rent out tents - relatively few IME do and those are in big cities - I would not count on that.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

I wrote back but I don't see it, are there rental tents in campgrounds in: (our route): Beaune-Pommard-Meursault-Puligny Montrachet-Chassagne-Montrachet-Santenay-Nolay and back to Beaune. Thank you
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 09:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Camping is still the preferred way for the French to spend a vacation when they stay in one place. Most French campgrounds have tents for rent, sometimes bungalows.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 10:47 AM

Most French campgrounds have tents for rent, sometimes bungalows.>

this must be a recent phenomenon because in all the zillions of camps I used up to several years ago few had any rental tents - are you positive of that - I would not count on it in the tiny places the OP says they will be hiking.

Beaune-Pommard-Meursault-Puligny Montrachet-Chassagne-Montrachet-Santenay-Nolay and back to Beaune - contact the campings in those towns by email and see if they have tents - tents are so cheap if you buy a cheap one you may come out ahead over renting.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 11:56 AM

Every single campsite I've ever see in the Dordogne has bungalows for rent as well as well as tent pitches and tent rentals and campervan lots. And it's not a new thing at all. Municipal campgrounds, no, but private ones, yes, all of them. I can't imagine it's all that different in Burgundy, especially as there are countless private campsite networks all over the country.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 10:43 AM

I can imagine that it is quite different in Burgundy than in Dordogne - the south of France is a destination for French and Germans and others on holidays who just want to go and sit in a place for a few weeks - a nice equipped campground - holiday destinations.

Burgundian camps are more transit places - a whole different clientele and thus I would not expect and in fact have rarely seen in camping in many Burgundy camps tents for rent - sometimes bungalows but can't ever remember tents for rent.

the Dordogne is way different than Burgundy St Cirq - so I would not extrapolate that and give false hopes to folks hiking from one small town to another.