Search

Paris transport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris transport

Hello,

I will be in Paris for roughly three weeks (late November to mid-December, 2015). Could you kindly suggest the best mode of transport (in terms of convenience, duration of travel and affordability) to take me from my hotel in Saint Denis to Parc des Expositions (exhibition centre) Paris Le Bourget? Transport options may include the bus, train, private taxi or even a shared shuttle. If possible, could you please provide the approx. cost or price(s) of each transport option.

Many thanks,
F.A
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 10:54 PM

RER B from Parc des Expositions to Le Bourget. It takes about 15 minutes and costs 2.50€.

You could purchase 10 tickets for 20€ or a pass, or a zone 3-4 weekly pass for 19€ (valid from any given Monday to the following Sunday).
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 11:19 PM

I think Sarastro means RER D from Saint Denis, change at Gare du Nord for RER B to Le Bourget. But the station's quite a walk from the Parc des Expositions. There is a bus 152 from near the RER station to the Parc des Expositions.

www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/
http://www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orie...s_banlieue/100

Is there no hotel nearer, or in central Paris on a more direct route?
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 12:13 AM

Actually PatrickLondon, I don´t know what I mean because the question doesn´t make much sense.

Samoan_muse_2015 - why don´t you clarify your post giving the address of your hotel and your specific destination. Is your destination Parc des Expositions or is it Le Bourget?
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 02:07 AM

I assumed OP means the Parc des Expositions on the edge of Le Bourget airport.
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the super fast responses. Unfortunately, the Novotel Suites Saint Denis has been booked in advance for me.

I see that there is a lengthy walk from the Le Bourget station to the Parc des Expositions. I may need to catch a taxi to the Parc des Expositions venue. Do you have any idea re: the Paris taxi rates/charges?

For (extra) clarity, I need to travel from the Novotel Suites in Saint Denis (31 Avenue Jules Rimet, 93210) to the Parc des Expositions (situated in Le Bourget).

Best Regards,
F.A
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 02:37 AM

I think Novotel saint Denis is the one in front of the stade de france - been sleeping there countless times.
You ll get bored in the evenings.
That means you are 5 min from Rer b la plains stase de france.
Then follow Sarastro advice.
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Again, thank you for the speedy advice.

I guess the bus option is best to Le Bourget - followed by the bus 152 or perhaps a taxi ride to the Parc des Expositions venue.

I will try not to get bored at the Novotel during the evening(s).

Best,
F.A
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 04:24 AM

RER B is the suburban train service, rather than a bus.
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for getting back to me re: the RER B train service. I was thinking "B" for bus, rather than it being a railway line of service. Thanks again. This forum has saved me so much time (i.e extra research; and in learning how to read the train/bus timetables).

Looking forward to using France's train and bus service(s).

Best,
F.A
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 12:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Samoan_muse

there are two main train systems in and around central Paris - the metro or RATP which is mainly underground, and the RER which is more suburban and overground. The RER has 4 lines [A, B, C, D] and the metro 10, numbered 1-10. on maps of the system, each line has a different colour which helps a bit, but when you are going round, it's useful to know what the terminus of the line you want is, so you make sure you're going in the right direction.

where the lines intersect they are called "correspondences" - some require long walks between platforms so it can be worth looking for alternatives when you know that will be the case.

There is a website which will tell you how to get from A to B using the Paris transport system:

http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ra...herche-avancee

Bon Chance!
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi Annhig,

Thank you for the comprehensive advice. Much appreciated In saying that, I prefer your advice over the practical information provided on a number of (travel) websites.

I will check the www.ratp.fr link that you kindly suggested.

On a happy note, you have now inspired me to practise my French.

Merci mille fois, Mille fois merci,
F.A
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 10:15 PM

Not that it makes any real difference but the RATP operates the buses, tramways, métro, funicular, and RERs within Paris.

There RER lines are A & B (operated by the RATP in Paris) and C, D & E operated by the SNCF.

There are actually 14 métro lines, 16 if you want to count 3bis and 7bis.

The system is growing all of the time.
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 01:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for that update, Sarastro. I think I knew that RATP were in overall control but I had a memory [possibly a false one] of locals referring to the metro as the RATP, pronounced RAT-P, and to the RER as a separate entity. As for the no of lines, as you say they are growing all the time.

Good luck with the french, Samoan_muse. people may say that you don't need to speak french in Paris, which is of course true, but IME it makes it a lot more fun and interesting, if you do.
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 02:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You will be here long enough to get a weekly Navigo pass, which is valid for all transportation anywhere in the Paris metropolitan area -- RER, commuter trains, metro, tramways, buses.

The next four metro lines (15, 16, 17, 18) have begun construction, but don't expect to see them before about 2025.

http://www.societedugrandparis.fr/#projet
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 04:52 AM

Further note: with your hotel being so close to the RER station, you could be in central Paris in 15-20 minutes or so, and there are trains back until about midnight. I can't say I've used them that late, though.
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 06:02 AM

They run later than midnight. Used to use those a lot.
No one white face left after I disambarked, and never felt unsafe.