Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Camino de Santiago - St. Jean de Pied de Port - Santiago de Compostela (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/camino-de-santiago-st-jean-de-pied-de-port-santiago-de-compostela-1698479/)

lafarwell Jul 2nd, 2021 09:34 AM

Camino de Santiago - St. Jean de Pied de Port - Santiago de Compostela

We are interested in using a tour company for a self-guided Camino de Santiago walk that includes luggage transfers, accommodation bookings, breakfast and 24/7 assistance if needed. We are considering two companies - Orbis Ways and Santiago Ways. Has anyone used either of these companies and if so, how were they? Or, can you recommend another company? Thanks for your help!

bilboburgler Jul 2nd, 2021 02:09 PM

Where do they start?

lafarwell Jul 3rd, 2021 01:19 PM

Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. The complete French way.

bilboburgler Jul 4th, 2021 03:17 AM

wow sound like a tough tour. I've not used a tour company to do this. That is a minimum of 730 km. I'm interested in the details, do they take you to the pilgrim's accomodation or to a nearby hotel? I know some fodorites have walked the whole thing so probably worth searching this site for "the camino" but fodors may have taken down earlier threads. "Buon Camino!"

kleeblatt Jul 4th, 2021 10:16 AM

Facebook has a fantastic group for those thinking of doing the Camino. I'd do some research there and try to become a member of an active group.

kerouac Jul 4th, 2021 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by lafarwell (Post 17258448)
Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. The complete French way.

That's not the "complete French way." That is the last point in France before entering Spain.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...2118638095.gif
Basically, the most popular routes in France start from either Le Puy-en-Velay or Vézelay.

kleeblatt Jul 4th, 2021 10:53 AM

I've walked four days on the Le Puy Camino and loved it! The food at the gites was fantastic and the scenery simply stunning. Highly recommended!

bilboburgler Jul 4th, 2021 11:18 AM

You can start in Canterbury or Copenhagen if you want.

annw Jul 8th, 2021 05:39 PM

I used Camino Ways and will use them again next spring. They were really helpful when I took acutely ill and needed extra help getting from place to place, communicating with the lodging, etc.

Consider also looking at caminodesantiago dot me/community/

michael_cain_77398 Jul 8th, 2021 08:23 PM

How exciting - it's an incredible adventure.

Please do join the online community that annw mentioned. It's very supportive.

Please do not join a guided tour until you've read through the discussions on 'guided walks vs independent walks' on that forum.

I walked independently, but met the leaders of Camino Ways, and was impressed by their dedication and professionalism. We've stayed in touch. And yet: I would only recommend using any guide for those who are walking shorter sections of a week or so. On a longer walk you will want the freedom to make your own decisions.

What seems daunting now (luggage transfer, finding lodging, arranging meals, getting transport if needed) is actually surprisingly easy once you are on the Camino. Pilgrims really do watch out for each other and support each other. There is a huge infrastructure support network to assist pilgrims on the Camino Francés. One of the many joys of the Camino is meeting folks from all over the world, walking with them for a few hours or days, eating meals together, planning days together, etc. It would be a shame for you to be separated from all that because you have a schedule imposed from the outside.

Originally Posted by kerouac (Post 17258754)
That's not the "complete French way." That is the last point in France before entering Spain. Basically, the most popular routes in France start from either Le Puy-en-Velay or Vézelay.

Lafarwell used the right term. The Camino Francés / French Way is the proper name of the section from St Jean to Santiago. It's the route the French people walked in Spain, not the routes in France itself.The four main routes in France are named after their starting points: Chemin de Puy (which is also wonderful), Chemin d'Arles (which is on my wish list), Chemin de Vezelay, and Chemin de Tours (or Chemin de Paris, though when I walked I didn't meet anyone who started in Paris).

annw Jul 8th, 2021 08:33 PM

American Friends on the Camino is a good Facebook group if you are on FB but really, Ivar's group mentioned above just about has it all.

I had also understood that SJPDP is the Camino Frances starting point. I'm doing just eight days next spring but will be doing another with a friend who has better knees and starting in SJPDP, to Burgos or Leon on that trip.

Buen Camino!