Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Camino de Santiago -- has anyone walked it?

Nov 6th, 1998, 06:20 PM
Perry

I have wanted to walk the Camino de Santiago across northern Spain for years. Has anyone done it recently? Any advice for a 50 year old woman in good physical shape -- am I crazy to contemplate this? (I'm planning on walking no more than 20 miles in one day and taking a good 5 or 6 weeks to complete the walk).

Nov 7th, 1998, 11:03 AM
Maira

I have never done the Route but am planning on doing a portion next May '99. As I understand it, thousands of people of all ages embark on this Pilgrimage (Medieval Route) every year for many different reasons (challenge, tourism, historians, religious, educational etc...). Your pace and time frame sound reasonable. My best advice is check on the Net the different sites. There are plenty of sites with people's accounts of their pilgrimage (you'll noticed the variety of people and motivations!) Specifically, check http://www.galinor.es/c-santiago/
This site is in Spanish, but it contains amazing maps of the Route, great pictures, lodging ("albergue") ideas, and there are portions that are translated into English . Feel free to e-mail me if you need to bounced ideas back and forth. Also, if you need some translating; Spanish is my first language. Best of luck!

Nov 14th, 1998, 02:17 AM
Maira

Perry: This information was passed on to me by a very kind traveller who was on her way to begin the Pilgrimage. I hope you find it useful as well:

Friends of the Road to Santiago
Attn: Maryjane Dunn
1708 N 54th Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68104
[email protected]

Linda Davidson
2501 Kingstown Road
Kingstown, RI 02881
[email protected]
(She publishes the annual newsletter of the Friends; talks about routes, guidebooks, etc, and I think back issues are available).

"For comfortable hotels, Birnbaum's Guide to Spain is pretty reliable.
The Blue Guide will tell you whether or not a place has a hotel. It's worth
blowing the budget to stay at the Hotel Los Reyes Catholicas in
Compostela."

Nov 14th, 1998, 07:54 AM
Kathy

A second to the suggestion of a stay at the Reyes Catolicos!! An incredible place with lots to explore in itself. When we stayed there, we found the most amazing view of the plaza and the cathedral--the second floor of the hotel has a dining room in the front part which is used for group (like convention groups) dining. When not in use, the doors are not locked and you can walk across it to a small balcony that overlooks the cathedral. My husband and I were fortunate enough to be there during a full moon, and I'll never forget the view of that ancient cathedral in the moonlight! (come to think of it, I should have posted it in the "Most Unforgettable Sights" thread!)

Dec 10th, 1998, 02:48 PM
mark

I walked the final 200 miles (approx)in 11 days from Leon to Santiago in early October. I am older than you, in good shape and had no problem. I met many people of all ages. The highlight of the trip are the other peregrinos that you meet on the Camino. Without any question, I would stay at the refugios along the way... no privacy, nothing fancy, but a great spirit of camaraderie with your fellow walkers. There is a fair amount of road walking and if you just wanted to walk beautiful county paths and gorgeous scenery I would go to Ireland or Britain.

But if you stay with other peregrinos it becomes a total shared experience. From others I have talked with I would go in April or October..fewer crowds and good weather. Most peregrinos either solo or couples. I would recommend solo.

Contact and join the Copnfraternity of Saint James in London for excellent information in english