Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay away from "Blue Jackets" in Naples train station

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a rather unfortunate incident in the Naples train station that I hope no one else has to experience. We we "train raped". When we got off the train from Rome and were going to be transferring to the Circumvesuviana to go to Sorrento we had several challenges. First, we did get up and get our luggage prior to the train coming into the station. We discovered that once there is a break in the people getting off, the people start getting on - rather forcefully. We had to push our way through to get off. Then immediately we were approached by a guy who offered to carry my husband's bags and show us where to get the next train. We figured we would give him a tip, but when we handed him a 10 euro (which we thought was more than enough) he demanded 10 euro per person (there were 5 of us). We were in such shock that none of us said, NO, like we should have. We didn't give him the full amount before saying "enough", but more than we really wanted to. When we talked with our driver later on in Sorrento, he said that he always warns people he is picking up at the train station to not get caught by the guys in the blue jackets who look official, but who aren't. Anyway - it made for a great story to tell and laugh about, and we certainly learned our lesson. We didn't let it spoil our trip, but I thought I would just post a warning here. If you want to have someone help you through the station in Naples - establish the price ahead of time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM

You're lucky you didn't get your luggage stolen. Thanks for sharing this with others.

I was approached by men in the train station in Naples offering various kinds of help -- portage, taxis, directions -- and I refused everybody and recommend others do likewise. The Naples train station area is riddled with thieves and, unfortunately, the Naples police are not known for being helpful.

Even so, I encourage people interested in seeing Naples to visit the city. It's fabulous.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:29 PM

Hi jcasale,
I'm sorry that your experience cost you 50€, but I must ask if you read any of the many threads on Fodors about the train stations in Naples? We went through the station several times last May and were approached a few times by these unauthorized porters. However, I'd read at least a dozen threads about refusing help or risk paying a high fee so we knew better. Most of the "porters" are not thieves in the sense that they will run off with your luggage... more like extortionists in that they won't give it back unless you pay their unreasonable fees. In any case, I am sorry to hear about your experience and thanks for posting so that others can avoid your same misfortune
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:02 PM

I read all those reports also and therefore, when we were taken, I couldn't believe I'd fallen for it. The little guy in the blue jacket didn't offer to take our luggage, if he had i would have been alerted. No, he asked us if we were headed to Pampeii. When we said yes, he told us the train leaves in 5 minutes & he could get us there quickly so we wouldn't miss it. Even though I'd read the trains leave every half hour, I panicked & all rational thoughts went right out the window. We arrived on the right track & found the train wouldn't be there for another 10 minutes! He then asked for a 10EU tip and I told him no way I'd only give him a few EUs. Wouldn't it figure, that we had nothing smaller than a 10. So we gave him the 10 & just hoped he'd go away & leave us to our embarrassment. This was the only time in 10 days visiting Rome & Sorrento that we were taken. Guess we actually got off lucky. Don't fall for this trick either.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Neopolitan

My experience in Rome was not that different from some of the other stories, but in my case it was a uniformed guy on the Eurostar train as it pulled up to the platform (the train was empty and loading to go to Venice). We were the first people at our first class car and as I started to lift my luggage up into the train, this guy grabbed it and asked me to see the tickets. I told him we were fine and didn't need any help, but assuming that he was an employee of the train I showed him the tickets (holding on to them firmly) and he moved our luggage to our seats. I'm convinced the only way to have prevented him from doing so would have been a swift kick to the groin, and I had no reason yet to suspect he was anything but an employee of Eurostar, especially since he was already on the train as it pulled into position. Once we were seated he pulled out a big cooler of drinks and sandwiches and told us there was no dining car on this train and we could purchase from him. We declined and he started getting rather nasty with us, but by then a regular conductor appeared (in an almost identical uniform) and chased him away. Of course, once the train got underway the dining car did indeed open. Even as a very experienced traveler I had no way of suspecting this guy until he pulled the sandwich/drinks scam.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM

A local friend explained about the men who "help" at the station. Alot of unemployed men find this their only means of income. Some of them in their way look upon it as a form of helping tourists with a little scam thrown in for good measure. People in the South have had to rely on their wits for ages.

Don't feel "train raped" or "unlucky" about it, just shrug it off to experience. It is good to be alerted that they are not employees beforehand.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:18 PM

I don't usually talk to strangers, and I especially wouldn't give out personal information to someone like that (such as where I was going).

So, you had a guy try to get a few euro off you because you used his services -- I don't think this exactly qualifies as being a metaphor to rape which is a violent, criminal, dehumanizing act against women. I suggest you find a different term to use for your minor problems, as this one is extremely offensive to me when used in this manner.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:19 PM

Only a crime against women?
A very narrow view is yours!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:36 PM

Lighten-up Christina!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM

Glad that you did not let this spoil your trip, and that nothing happened (i.e. stolen luggage etc) so you were able to laugh about it later; you have a good attitude for traveling! Thanks for sharing your experience as it is a good reminder to remain alert and that these situations do happen.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. It will help more people than you will ever realize.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:24 AM
bellastarr

jacasale-
thanks for sharing your story-I know this topic has been discussed before on this board.
It illustrates the importance of doing good pre trip research when traveling.

Seaurchin is correct in pointing out some of the facts of Neopolitan life. The bluecoats are from a culture where survival can depend on living by one's wits. And they are experts at spotting tourists who appear vulnerable.

Since no violent physical harm was done, consider yourselves better educated! Good for you that you didn't let it spoil your trip..and can laugh about it later.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:18 AM

Your experience was not as bad as ours...a BIG warning to anyone planning on transferring from Naples central train station to Sorrento..if you get on the train and all of a sudden find that you cannot move because it is so crowded YOU ARE BEING TARGETTED!!!!This happened to my husband who at 6 foot 2 is not small but too polite to tell the 15 or so guys surrounding him that he needed to move where I was in the carriage. He thought the carriage had just got crowded very suddenly and "thank goodness we got on the train in time".Just as the train begins to take off this burly guy holds the door open and the 15 guys get off...oh! s...my wallet! Yes you guessed it - one of them had put their hand inside his jacket undid a button and took the wallet without him feeling a thing. Furious phoning of credit card company but because we were on the train going into tunnels etc half an hour and 1500 euro later before we get through..still seeing if we are liable..
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to offend anyone with the term we came up with the laugh off what was a "learning experience" more than a trip ruining experience. We all decided that since none of us had been hurt in any way and the amount of money "lost" was fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, we would just laugh about it. I read numerous postings about travel from Rome to Sorrento prior to leaving, but I guess I missed the one about the "porters" in Naples. Glad to help renew the theme and help others avoid any potential problems. Nessumdorma, I'll consider returning to see Naples. From the train it didn't look like a place I might want to spend time in, but then again train stations are often not in the best parts of town. I certainly want to go back to Sorrento, so maybe I'll tack on a day or two in Naples.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:18 AM

The train station is the worst possible introduction to Naples. That said, it's not Positano either. It's a quite chaotic place, jammed with fantastic artistic and a fantastic history, and a distinct urban culture. Marvelous food.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

I think the food must be marvelous all over Italy ! I now need to lose the 5 pounds that I gained with all of the pasta, plizza, gelatto, wine, and limoncello! It was all worth it, though.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Hi jcasale,
I suggest a return visit to Naples too. It is a totally different world away from the train station and the pizza is to die for!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Ditto for the guys in blue vests outside Termini who "help" you load your bags into the cabs at the taxi stand. At first glance they look like they're official, but they're NOT. I figured it out right when the guy took hold of my bag; I grabbed it back and loaded it into the trunk myself. He then proceeded to yell at me and call me (I assume) nasty things as I got into the cab without giving him any money. Cab driver yelled back at him and they traded obscene gestures.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:48 AM

deja vu, that is exactly the Naples train station! It is not for everyone.

One time I was stranded at the station alone because of a landslide between there and Sorrento so I had the amusement of sitting at the McDonalds and watching life happen in front of me for a few hours!

I watched the men in the blue jackets for so long they practically included me in their jokes between themselves. It is a gritty life and like I said before they are living by their wits.

They can spot the wildebeest tourist across the room!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM

I stood with our two bags while my husband went downstairs to check out the situation. A young guy came along and said something to me in Italian, I think. I didn't answer him so he said it again. I just played dumb and after looking at me for about 10 seconds, he went on his way. Since I let my hair go gray I've had lots of young men offer to carry my suitcase up the stairs [I do struggle with the 22" rollaboard]. It's sad, but I really can't trust any of them!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -