Search

Cameras in Touristy sites in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cameras in Touristy sites in Italy

Hi All,
I will be traveling to Italy this summer for 2 weeks and was wondering if buying an SLR camera is worth it, or would my point & shoot be sufficient? I was wonderinf if most touristy places in Italy allow cameras because I just read they do not allow it near the statue of david.

I will be traveling to the following places:
Venice
Florence
Sorrento
Isle of Capri
Pompeii
Rome
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 06:38 AM

Yes, cameras are allowed in Italy. To be sure, some museums and churches don't allow photography. For instance, it is allowed in the Vatican Museum but not in the Uffizi. You really need to check the individual websites for the specific "touristy places" you are interested in. There are myriad opportunities for interesting photography in all of the places you mention, I think only you can decide if you want to invest in an SLR.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 06:42 AM

Some places allow photography but not flash, and they mean it. I think a point and shoot is fine, but be sure you know how to turn off flash for real.

Sadly, the same places that won't let you use a flash (Duomo in Florence, for example) won't let you use the tripod you would need for a long exposure.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 06:44 AM

I have an upcoming trip to France and Italy in June and I have just recently purchased a DSLR camera. I got tired of my point and shoot keep giving bad shots, especially in low light or just in general screwing shots and i wanted good pictures. They are expensive but so far its been great. Pictures come out awesome plus can take video in HD. I am still playing with the camera and learning all the functions in it so hopefully when i get to my trip i will get awesome pictures. I ended up buying the Nikon D5100.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 06:50 AM

AllyG3,
For the specific problem that Ackislander pointed out about not being able to flash in the Duomo, you can probably get a good shot if you had a SLR. You can use exposure compensation to get more light or bump up the ISO to increase the light sensitivity of your camera.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 06:58 AM

If you do get a SLR (and I highly recommend them) be sure to take a photography course to learn how to actually use the settings. If you dont you will likely just keep using it as a point and shoot - which is what I did for 3 years before learning about all the settings.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 08:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>For instance, it is allowed in the Vatican Museum<<<

Except in the Sistine Chapel.

Some cities used to require a permit if you are using a tripod.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

wow thanks for all of your suggestions! I think I will get an SLR. I have been wanting one anyway and this will give me a good excuse to buy one!

pinglee - I was actually looking at the Nikon D3100. My friend has the D5100 and it takes awesome pics! I just can't afford it right now with this Italy trip expense.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:29 AM

"I just read they do not allow it near the statue of david." and "Except in the Sistine Chapel." - yes but everyone is doing it anyway. Hide behind some people, don't use flash, and do it quickly.

So I've heard....
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:35 AM

Ally, you might want to consider the older Canon T2i,also called the 550D. In many ways it is a better camera than the newer T3. One advantage of these cameras is that they have a far wider range of usable lenses. In addition, there is something called a "firmware hack" that essentially turns a $700 T2i into a $3,000 5D MkII. This is a free software product from Magic Lantern. Google Magic Lantern to learn more on this. But yes, before you do any of those things, learn how to use the basic manual settings.

dave
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM

jomagpie -

My camera has a setting so that you can silence the shutter sound. Just saying.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:45 AM

BTW, no photography is allowed inside the Basilica or the Doge's Palace in Venice.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

daveesl - thanks I will definitely research that!

azzure - what kind of camera do u have? Thanks for the heads up about the Venice sites! See, I am reading more and more places do not allow cameras. But, I think it'd be worth it for the shots I do get!
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
ekc

Although I am not always happy with the shots my point-and-shoot camera takes (but thank goodness for being able to see, delete and re-take), I would not want to carry an SLR around all day.

And it is unbelievable to me that someone would think that it is fine to take a picture so long as their camera is silent in a No Camera area. Rules are there for a reason. Further evidence of the "ugly tourist" ...
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

ekc - thanks, I did think about lugging the camera around all day, but I may take a small backpack with me to hold all my stuff. In my experience, most places that "don't allow" picture taking is for the sole purpose of having tourist pay for their rediculously priced souvenir pictures. If one is already paying a fee to "tour" the place, I don't find anything wrong with taking a picture as long as that person does not sell it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:37 AM

Or, it could be a case where the museum is trying to make the experience better for those who actually want to view the statue. If they allowed everyone to take a picture in front of David with total freedom, the crowds would be even crazier than they are. Do you want to stand to the side as some Dad is yelling "say cheese" as the kids pose in front of David?
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:42 AM

If you aren't enough of a photography nut to have an SLR now I wouldn't buy one just for the trip. Get a decent point and shoot
camera... I have a Lumix I like because it has a great lens with up to 10x zoom (newer models have more) yet it fits my pocket.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

mama_mia - haha, that's a good point too! but, nowadays, places are always looking to make an extra buck and sadly the well-being of people comes in second.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, one might also consider that the "extra buck" is needed to help pay for the incredibly expensive preservation of the sight to insure that your children's children will be able to enjoy it too. And I presume the "well-being" of people would include the safety of a sight achieved through constant and expensive maintenance (see recent news reports about chunks of the Colosseum falling off). Entry fees don't begin to pay for either.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 12:10 PM

Read the current thread on pickpockets.

If you want a Nikon and a couple of lenses, particularly long ones, you ought to be able to get one out of someone's camera bag that he has left open to the world over his shoulder while he adjusts f-stops on another camera.

Seriously, expensive cameras are good targets for thieves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -