Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cameras (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cameras-289718/)

margievill Feb 17th, 2003 07:57 AM

Cameras

I've heard that it's not wise to 'advertise' your tourist profile by keeping your camera around your neck, but I also don't want to keep it in my backpack. In addition, I'm thinking about getting a digital camera so I don't have to carry a ton of film with me - I'm big on packing light. My question is - do you have any suggestions for reliable, small, good quality, reasonable priced digital cameras? I would also be looking for one with the option of large memory chips - or whatever they're called - so I can hold more pictures. Thanks!

richardsonsnm Feb 17th, 2003 08:11 AM

sony cyber-shot, DSC-P5, 3.2 MEGAPIXEL. get the 128 megabite memory sticks, i find they'll hold about 140 pictures each. i carry a couple with me an have never run out of memory, i bring them home and download to my imac, super easy. if you buy a euro style plug you can just pull off the US end and attach the euro end and bingo, no converter necessary.

Quinty Feb 17th, 2003 12:11 PM

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC70 and I love it but would not buy it again because the memory sticks are proprietary and the memory cards for other brands of cameras now can hold so much more than the 128mb memory stick. We had to buy a digital wallet (10gb) for our trip. We used only about 1GB in 12 days and took over 100 pics a day. <BR>Digital cameras are quite nice that way.<BR>I wouldn't worry too much about looking like a tourist in the &quot;tourist&quot; areas, but I would put away my camera while on subways, etc.

scubatv Feb 17th, 2003 02:30 PM

Memory Cards<BR><BR>One suggestion if you plan to take many many many photos, you might eventually fill up all your memory cards. Rather than stop taking pictures or carrying along a laptop, you could do the following. <BR><BR>If you buy a memory card reader, you will be able to attach the memory card reader to the USB port on the computer at an Internet caf&eacute;. <BR><BR>This will allow you to upload your picture to the free email addresses you can set up at yahoo.com<BR><BR>Before you leave, set up many free yahoo.com email address. Each yahoo email account will have a size limit, so to be safe set up several. <BR><BR>At night, after dinner, upload your pictures to the email address you have set up and then reuse the memory cards. <BR><BR>Find the fastest Internet caf&eacute; available.<BR>

margievill Feb 17th, 2003 03:36 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll look into these.

bellairegirl Feb 17th, 2003 03:48 PM

I LOVE my Canon Digital Elph. It's tiny and fits into a pocket, but takes great photos. I carried it all over Europe last summer and it never failed me once.<BR><BR>Digital is definately the way to go. You can check the shot you got before you leave the scene, so you can reshoot it if you're not satisfied.

margievill Feb 18th, 2003 03:22 PM

Thanks for the info - I've read about digital wallets and extra memory cards. Which would you suggest as the more practical solution for a 1-piece of luggage type college student for 1mo in Europe?

caf Feb 18th, 2003 04:54 PM

I would strongly second the suggestion to stay away from Sony and their proprietary memory sticks. They are coming out with &quot;Memory stick II&quot; which will offer more than 128 MB, but will NOT be backward compatible. A good source for camera reviews:<BR>dpreview.com Very technical, but lots of good info. Personally, I like Canon--they always seem to rate highly in picture quality.<BR>

April Feb 18th, 2003 05:52 PM

Like bellairegirl, I too love our Canon Digital Elph.

Muddy_Paws Feb 18th, 2003 06:26 PM

I'll chime in with my vote for the Canon Digital Elph also - I love it!!!<BR><BR>Melissa

Garfield Feb 18th, 2003 07:47 PM

Think about getting a digital wallet if you plan to take many pictures. Price is now down to the same as a couple of cards. Wallets will hold 1000s of pictures. See dpreview.com for camera and wallet information.

margievill Feb 19th, 2003 01:05 PM

I know I've said it a million times, but thank you again - I just saw one of these cameras (up close, real life) and it looks like a great idea. I'll have to research prices and the wallets and whatnot, but I definitely appreciate your advice and suggestions.

emjoy Feb 19th, 2003 01:17 PM

although I own a Sony digital camera-which is fabulous, and several 35mm SLR cameras. I have often taken along disposable cameras (only from reputable companies like Kodak or Fuji) on European trips because I was worried about losing the camera and therefore the pictures. When we use up the camera (which you can buy in any tourity area), we put it in a box we're compiling with our luggage and we mail it home. Mailing souveniers and gifts home can be expensive in some countries, but it perfectly legal and the fact that you don't have to drag them throughout your trip and then home again is worth the money.

Lesli Feb 19th, 2003 01:21 PM

I'm currently doing research re digital cameras, and this site has been a great help: http://www.steves-digicams.com/<BR><BR>There's a &quot;Best of 2002&quot; list, which then has a &quot;Most Pocketable&quot; category. There are tons of really detailed reviews. There are also links to www.dealtime.com, a site which allows you to search for digital cameras by price, megapixels, zoom, etc. and see which on-line retailer has the best price for each model.

Madison Feb 19th, 2003 01:50 PM

First of all this isn't a prank question. I have a digital camera that I haven't used yet. Here's my question. If I take pictures with this camera can I take the card into a camera store and have regular pictures made from the card? I love having pictures to put in albums, not just on the computer.<BR><BR>Thanks

margievill Feb 19th, 2003 01:58 PM

Hi - <BR>First, those are also good suggestions.<BR>Second, about printing off pictures - I think you can send them via email to some places. Or, one that I know you can do is go to those Kodak print machines that they have in the grocery store and Target and whantnot, and they have a place where you can put your disk and print them out there - if I remember correctly - it's been awhile since I tried to print something off there, and I've never owned a digital camera - but you could try those.

bellairegirl Feb 19th, 2003 02:26 PM

Madison: that's not a stupid question; it's a whole different concept than a regular camera. Some people purchase good quality printers and photo paper, but I prefer using one of the services like ofoto.com where I can &quot;upload&quot; the images to them and choose which ones I want to print.<BR><BR>What's nice about this is I can create a &quot;photo album&quot; of the photos I upload and then I can e-mail the album to relatives and friends. (You can edit the photos, such as cropping them or making them lighter. You can also add captions for the &quot;photo album.&quot;) If there are photos that I want to have printed so I can put it in a real photo album, I just select the ones I want printed, pay per print, and they send them to me. The great thing about sending a virtual photo album to others is that if they want a copy of a photo, they can order it directly. <BR><BR>I understand that you can also take your compact flash cards to a kiosk at a photo developing store and do the same thing.

Madison Feb 19th, 2003 02:46 PM

Thank you for your help.

djkbooks Feb 19th, 2003 04:31 PM

When shopping for a camera, I would recommend purchasing from a place where you can try it out and return it if it's not exactly what you want or can easily learn to use. <BR><BR>Top concern should be ease of use. Best is one that's auto-everything and doesn't need any adjustments - just takes good photos with simple to select &quot;conditions&quot; that are obvious to you. Those manuals are often difficult to interpret, and you don't want to have to haul it along or refer to it anyway.<BR><BR>Then, I recommend a camera with a rechargeable battery. These days, many come with a charger (and they're all dual voltage too). With an extra battery (which you have charging while you're out and about), you just don't have to worry about going through batteries.<BR><BR>While you get more memory for the dollar the larger the card/stick, I prefer to take several smaller cards. For one thing, it takes much longer to upload your photos to your PC from a huge card. And, it may be better to carry your cards in your pocket when going through airport security (whereupon you can toss them in the tray and they aren't subject to x-rays) than leave them in the camera, no matter where you've packed it. And, should your camera be lost or stolen, you haven't lost ALL your photos.<BR><BR>To me, a digital photo wallet is just not advantageous. It's something else to buy/learn to use, haul over and back. I haven't price-shopped lately, but I'm guessing extra memory cards are more economical.<BR><BR>And, this is not the time, really, to skimp on investing in a really good camera. Depending upon where you're going, it's best to get a camera with sufficient zoom. Forget digital zoom, optical is what counts. Those that come with every accessory you really need (case, extra battery, battery charger, etc...) are often a much better buy than getting just the camera, then purchasing accessories for it.<BR><BR>You needn't be concerned about wearing your camera around your neck. That's the best place for it, I think, while out and about. Obviously, you keep it secure, such as not leaving it on the table in an outdoor cafe. What you don't want to do is carry it in a &quot;camera bag&quot; with a logo on it. There are fabulous small models which can be carried in your pocket (zippered pocket is best). If you'll be carrying a backpack, that's not a problem either, so long as you keep your camera in an inside zippered pocket. If someone is going to &quot;grab&quot; anything out of a backpack, it will be whatever is on top under the top zipper, or will fall out the bottom, should you encounter a sleazy thief with a pocketknife (not likely, but you never know).<BR><BR>It's a good idea to figure out in advance what you plan to do with all your photos and try out your camera ahead of time. Lower resolutions are just fine for screen-savers and e-mailing copies to others. Slightly higher is better for printing 4x6. The only time you really need the higher resolution is for printing enlargements. With all that in mind, during your travels, you can select the lowest resolution for &quot;typical&quot; use and switch to higher resolution (which takes lots more memory per photo) for shots you think you might want to enlarge and print when you get home. <BR><BR>Again, buy your camera where you can exchange it for another if it's not right for you after you've tried it out at home...And, pay a few dollars more for one with the zoom you need and &quot;ease of use&quot;.

drsawyers Feb 19th, 2003 06:26 PM

Dear dlkbooks,<BR><BR>No offense, but about the only thing we agree on is that digital zoom is worthless:)