provence trip suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have a wedding in Paris at the end of March, and we're thinking of flying into Marseilles early to spend about 5 days in Provence before we head up to Paris for four days (we've already been to Paris, and while we would never run out of things to do there, thought it might be nice to visit a new region). With five days, where would you recommend going (how would you divide your time), and is it easy to rent a car and drive between stops? Would we need to return the car to Marseilles or is it not too expensive to return it to another city and take the TGV from there?
Thanks!
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 08:25 PM

There are responses on your other thread; just click on your name to find them.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 04:04 AM

Srk:

Rather than flying into Marseilles, you might consider flying into Paris, and taking the TGV directly from CDG to Avignon. I visited Provence with 2 friends in Sept 2006 and here is how we proceeded: We took the TGV from Gare de Lyon (you could go directly from CDG rather than from Paris) to Avignon. We then picked up our rental car right at the train station. We spent 3 nights in Tavel, about 10 miles NW of Avignon. We took day trips to Arles, the Pont du Gard, and of course, spent a day and half strolling Avignon. From Avignon, you could drive to Aix en Provence or Marseilles if you chose to. Marseilles is a fine city with a lovely port and rich history, but I'd give the nod to Aix en Provence or Avignon as more manageable places to visit without the big city clamor of Marseilles.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

It's actually cheaper for us to just directly fly into Marseilles, since we can use miles for our flights. My sense is that it's only about 1-1.5 hours drive between Marseilles and Avignon - is that right?
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Pretty much. You can go to mappy.com to get details if you wish.