Reload this Page >

London-where else to go?

Search

London-where else to go?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2001, 07:10 PM
carol

London-where else to go?

We are planning our 3rd trip to London-have gone to British Mus, V and A, Nat'l. History, Any smaller museums we should see?Or any out of the way places?

Old May 25th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Jody

There are so many wonderul places in London , one of my greatest pleasures there is gettng lost and finding somethimg new around a corner I'd never turned before. On our last trip, I can;t even remember how many trips we've made ove rthe last 40 years, we finally went to the wallace collection, off Oxford st. My husband is still talking about it, charming, realistic size, marvelous collection. If you are at all interested in design or interiors,Geffrye Museum, a Georgian almshouse, with each room decorated in a differect century and a wonderfulmodern design studio and shop in basement, Also a good cafe. <BR>David especially loves the Imperial war Museum, went twice on our last trip. Wonderful pictures in addition to army Hardware, the 1940's house exhibit was fun and the Blitz experience is interesting, good lunch there too! You may have noticed I like lunch! <BR>The Nat'l army museum off the Kings Rd (BEN HELP ME HERE) was also interesting. I didn't thik I'd like it and just went as a sop to my husband but it was quite enjoyable. There are also several National Trust properties that can be visited if you like country houses . email me if you want more info, this thing cuts out if one gets too wordy

Old May 25th, 2001, 08:47 PM
RosemaryM

Dear Carol, <BR>Depending on what interests you, of course, but a couple of museums I enjoyed in London were the Theatre Museum in Covent Garden and also the London Transport Museum in the same area. I also enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes Museum in Baker Street. <BR>If you would like to rest the feet a while, the most peaceful place in London must be the Regent's Park Canal, where you can take a narrow boat from Little Venice (the London Waterbus Co. I think) to Camden Lock via London Zoo.There's lots to see at the markets at Camden Lock and you can pick up the tube at Camden Town back to Central London. Have fun. <BR>

Old May 26th, 2001, 01:17 AM
Kimerley

do a search of your Surname on www.streetmap.co.uk you will probably find a street in your surname, visit it and get someone to take your photo! <BR>Whitehead Grove in Chelsea is where I am heading for a photo shoot next week with my brother. <BR>Slightly pathetic but different!

Old May 26th, 2001, 03:17 AM
sylvia

There's the Gilbert Collection in Somerset House and the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green.

Old May 26th, 2001, 11:46 AM
linda

carol, Consider Sir John Soanes Museum near the Inns of Court. He was an incredible collector-of many things-and his home houses much of his collection. I loved it. I strongly second the Wallace Collection and the Imperail War Museum. <BR> <BR>linda

Old May 26th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Lori

We've been to London many times and still have not seen everything! Some of this may echo others remarks, but we've enjoyed these things a lot. There is a wonderful small museum called the Geffyre Museum - lots of furniture depicting life over the ages. Spend a day in Hampstead (and Hampstead Heath has a wonderful old house called Kenwood House to explore). Somerset House (on the Strand) currently has an exhibit of Catherine the Great's trinks from The Hermitage in Russia. Camden Market is great - take the "water bus" on the canal back through Regent's Park to Little Venice (beautiful area of London). Just get on a bus and ride to the last stop! Take a day trip to a place that most tourists don't go to (look on a map, pick a town -- not one of the famous -- and take a train ride there, it's lots of fun. You can take the Thameslink to ST. Albans, about 30 min. from Kings Cross, it's a lovely town with a nice High St. and really interesting clock tower. The Wallace Collection is fascinating as Jody says, we've been there twice. Take the Tube to Tower Hill and exit and walk left over to St. Katherine's Marina .. lots of beautiful boats, Dickens Pub, several small shops, etc.

Old May 26th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Lori

Make that Catherine the Great's trinkets from the Hermitage! Can't type today.

Old May 26th, 2001, 05:07 PM
lisa

Why don't you take a side trip to Oxford, Canterbury, etc.?

Old May 27th, 2001, 08:36 AM
lisa

hiya carol.. <BR>what about the national portrait gallery..located close to trafalgar square? or hever castle in kent?..take the train to seven oaks and then cab to the castle.beautiful grounds and country side. also tate modern musuem...i havent been there yet but have heard its quite nice. if you havent been to kennsington palace..there is a museum with wonderful dress collections and antique fabrics there. <BR>i dont know when your trip is planned, but i leave again for london on 5/29...will post when i return 6/25. <BR> <BR>enjoy your trip to london <BR>lisa

Old May 27th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Surlok

My favorite in London is the Tate Gallery, it's small, Turner, and also some other artists, mostly impressionists' paintings, are on display.