Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cambridge or Oxford? Which is the better destination for day trip from London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cambridge-or-oxford-which-is-the-better-destination-for-day-trip-from-london-283889/)

David Jan 31st, 2003 09:49 AM

Cambridge or Oxford? Which is the better destination for day trip from London?

My wife and I are planning to visit either Cambridge or Oxford on a day trip from London in late March 2003. Which of the two cities is the more historically interesting, aesthetically pleasing, easiest to get to and from, and, once there, easiest to get around in? Please advise.

janis Jan 31st, 2003 10:08 AM

David - this is probably not going to help you much -- but there is really not a whit of difference. Cambridge and Oxford are both easily accessible from London by train, architecturally are VERY similar, are both on rivers, and are equally pedestrian friendly.<BR><BR>Some folks prefer Cambridge because of the Backs (the college grounds that go right down to the river bank), and some prefer Oxford for the Ashmolean Museum, Covered Market, etc. But the colleges themselves are very similar both in ages and designs.<BR><BR>You can't go wrong with either one - anyone's suggestion one is better than the other is probably based on the weather the day they visited or some other subjective reason. Go to which ever one most interests you.

DixieChick Jan 31st, 2003 10:19 AM

I agree with Janis. You can't go wrong with either - easy to get to, historically significant, etc. However, I did think Cambridge was more beautiful. I think most people would agree with me if they are honest about it.<BR>

vcl Jan 31st, 2003 10:43 AM

I admit prejudice; I studied at Cambridge. I find the city more easily accessible and considerably more compact. And the Hop-on/Hop-off tour includes the American cemetery at Maddingly, one of the most moving places I've ever seen and a must for American visitors.

David Jan 31st, 2003 03:32 PM

Thank you all for the prompt replies. I believe Cambridge wins. Since we'll be there a week and have previously seen most of the London (and neighboring) sites, we'll jump on the first nice day! Thanks again for the advice and tips. David.

rickmav Jan 31st, 2003 05:16 PM

Sounds like you've made up your mind but can I put in a vote for Oxford. I agree that Cambridge and Oxford are similar but the Ashmolean (and the wonderful Tradescant collection), the sites that you can visit that are all in the Inspector Morse/Colin Dexter mysteries (I have a list if you are interested), the Botanic Garden, the Bridge of Sighs - make a wonderful day trip. And late March is perfect because you'll not have all the summer crowds. Wherever you go have fun.

klphoto7 Jan 31st, 2003 06:44 PM

I just returned from Cambridge 2 weeks ago. The &quot;Backs&quot; were spectacular to photograph.<BR>We were extremely lucky with the weather and got a lot of great shots in the late afternoon sun.<BR>We were based out of Lavenham and spent only 1 day in Cambridge but it was a wonderful one.<BR>I am a Suffolk fan in general as I lived there 24 years ago. I also think you will find a better selection of pubs in Cambridge too.