Reload this Page >

Calling the train experts: Milan to Paris via Geneve

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:00 AM
Wendy

We are travelling from Milano Centrale to Paris Lyon via Geneve on the Tuesday after Easter, leaving at 13.10 to allow time to get to Milano from Bellagio, Lake Como where we will have been staying. We thought it might be nice to catch some of the Swiss scenery. <BR>My problem is- the quote for the trip is a pricey A$634 for two,reserved seats, one way, 2nd class,(US$343 total). The train from Milan to Geneve is just an IC stopping all stations, then we change to the TGV from Geneve to Paris. <BR>I found the train timetable info on the Swiss rail site (SBB CFF FFS)but my travel agent got the fare details from some Eurail (or whatever)agent here in Australia. I've tried accessing fare details myself on the Swiss site but couldn't get anywhere. <BR>Is this expensive? OK if that's the real fare but I don't want to be 'taken for a ride' like Phil in an earlier posting either!! I'm not interested in catching planes etc, we'll have had enough flying. We have to be in Paris that night of the 17 April. Should we just book and pay for the whole thing when we get to Italy? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance. The Fodor site is excellent and has helped our planning tremendously. Wendy <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:08 AM
Tony

Wendy.. <BR> <BR>From my experience the eurail agencies in Australia are usually pretty fair with their pricing, albeit dearer than buying direct in Italy. I have'nt used point to point prices recently but your quote does sound a bit pricey - I guess our lousy dollar is to blame in part. <BR>Are'nt you using a rail pass at all? If so you could do your Milan/Paris trip using 1 day of the pass. <BR>Incidentally Milan to Paris via Lausanne instead of Geneva would be quicker and probably cheaper, and you would still see all the good scenery in Switzerland, except the last bit along Lake Geneva from Lausanne to Geneva - the best scenery is between Stresa and Lausanne anyway. There are two or three TGVs a day from Lausanne to Paris, and your IC train from Milan may well connect with one of them. <BR>Actually I've just checked on the internet, Your 1310 ex Milan arrives Lausanne 1700, and there is a TGV from there at 1752, arriving Paris 2151. <BR>Let me know if I can help further.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:30 AM
Paulo

If bought in Italy, I doubt that a 2nd class Milan-Paris ticket including reservations reaches US$ 100. Even the Raileurope site, which is known to keep a big chunk of ticket expenses, lists it at $116! <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 10:02 AM
Wendy

Thanks Tony and Paulo- I was hoping you'd be out there somewhere! <BR> <BR>We're only travelling twice by train so passes aren't an option. I like your Lausanne suggestion Tony. <BR> <BR>Would buying the tickets two weeks ahead in Italy likely be enough time to get reserved seats on those trains? Internet bookings?? <BR> <BR>I'm not a scrooge but I don't like throwing away money unecessarily! Wendy

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 10:07 AM
clo

It's definitely expensive, but keep in mind that in Easter period you might need to book in advance, and one way ticket are often much more expensive than rountrip ones. Moreover, I understand your desire to view some Suisse landscape, but the best train to get to Paris is definitely TGV at 4pm from Milano arriving to Paris at 10.54PM. The price is less than 90$ per person, 2nd class seat reservation and all supplements included. Even less if you're younger than 26 or senior over 60. You can even book online http://www.raileurope.it/italiano/prenota.html, unfortunately, since the trip is Italy to France, the site is only in Italian...

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 10:09 AM
clo

Me again try to Email Britrail in Milan <BR>[email protected], I am sure they are able to give you infos in English

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 10:40 AM
Wendy

Might be the best way to go,Clo. We could then have a look around Milano for a few hours. Suisse scenery - next time! <BR>Wendy.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:35 PM
Joanna

I second the Lausanne suggestion! We did it, but the other way around coming from Paris, spending a few days in Dijon, thence to Milan via Lausanne. Gorgeous scenery around Lake Geneva - so many places I would have loved to have got off the train at, especially Montreux, Brig, Stresa. We had 1.5 hours between trains at Lausanne so had a good stretch of the legs.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 11:53 PM
Wendy

Wow! I'm convinced we'll have to travel this route both ways somehow! <BR>Thanks everyone - Wendy

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 06:14 PM

to the top... for giovanna... <BR> <BR>I don't have to agree with your plan to do this (train from Italy, rather than fly) - - to help you find messages of those who have done it. <BR> <BR>Sometimes, I am just a librarian... <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>me...