Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Calling Steve James - Malcesine to airports by public transport

Calling Steve James - Malcesine to airports by public transport

Nov 7th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Calling Steve James - Malcesine to airports by public transport

Hi Steve, hope you are out there with your wealth of knowledge ! I'm considering how to get back to Edinburgh from Malcesine - assuming we start with a tortuous bus ride then train. Unfortunately the jet2 flights from Bergamo seem to have disappeared. Would Linate be a lot easier to get to than Malpensa ? There are currently quite cheap BA flights from Linate available but I'm wondering whether to hang on for easyjet flights from Malpensa. Or might Venice be just as easy/easier ? Our hotel offers cheap connections to Verona but unfortunately all flights from there are expensive. Thanks very much, Caroline.
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Hi Caroline - Venice would be just as easy - if not easier (- it's only a 20 mins bus ride from Mestre to the airport). Quicker than Linate or Malpensa ...

Have you got budget flights from Venice? If yes, I might choose that option.

Either way you've got a fairly long commute from Malcesine, unfortunately.

Unless you want to fly from Brescia (- Ryanair) - but that would mean connecting at Stansted (- Easyjet?).
Not ideal ... but might be just as quick.

How much are your BA flights from Linate?

Steve

Nov 8th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Steve. Brilliant - I knew you'd know ! One of my problems has been getting a sufficiently detailed map with all the options on.

BA flights from Linate are currently €137.77pp so pretty good - the downside is flying via London. (We got direct flights back to Edinburgh from Pisa with jet2 this year and it made such a difference, not having 2 flights with a 3 hour wait in between.)

BA from Verona (Valerio Catullo) via London - €221.60.

BA from Venice via London - now €104 !

Easyjet are currently flying direct from Malpensa to Edinburgh but booking is only until the end of March, so there's no guarantee they will renew that route... And Malpensa looks quite far away ?

(I had been hanging on until now hoping jet2 would renew their direct route from Bergamo, but it really seems to have gone. So now it looks like the only jet2 direct route to Edinburgh next year will be Pisa.)

I wouldn't fly with Ryanair.

Sounds like Venice-London-Edinburgh is the best bet, then, even before the fact it's currently the cheapest ?

Presumably all options involve a slow bus to somewhere we can get a train from - Peschiera ? - then train ? Or maybe we could get a boat to Peschiera & that would be more pleasant ?

Thanks very much indeed.
Nov 8th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Bus to Peschiera or Verona station from Malcesine would be straightforward, Caroline.

http://www.apt.vr.it/pdf/62-64.pdf

Fastest trains to Venice Mestre take just over an hour from Verona.
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Then there's a fairly frequent ATVO airport shuttle bus (€ 2.50) from Mestre station.
http://www.atvo.it/orari/pdf_airport/mpmestrefs.pdf

Have you had problems with Ryanair? They're my 2nd favourite airline

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Nov 8th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Steve, you are an absolute star !

Decided to go ahead & book the Venice flights - only to find that BA doesn't take debit card payment for flights originating abroad ! So it will have to wait until I have some credit on my CC, hopefully Tuesday

This info will be doubly useful as we'll be going to Malcesine from Venice.

Thanks very much indeed, again.

Caroline

P.S. Re Ryanair : I wouldn't use them - especially for connecting flights - due to...

1) all the horror stories I see in the papers here about people being stranded abroad, with the option of a) just being refunded their original fare, which won't cover an alternative way home or b) having to wait for days at their own expense for the next Ryanair flight with availability

2) the general lack of customer service and unpleasant attitude of their chief executive.

Nov 12th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks agin for your help, Steve - I've now booked the Venice flight for a bargain €104 pp !
Nov 12th, 2007, 03:27 AM

Glad you got, Caroline. Another trip to look forward to

Have a good week.

Steve
Nov 12th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

You too !

Search this Thread