Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Calling OPALDOG... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/calling-opaldog-692297/)

tarajane Mar 29th, 2007 03:39 PM

Calling OPALDOG...

Hi opaldog,

I read one of your posts that mentioned that you stayed at an apartment on rue d'Ormesson from vacationinparis.com #115. Would you mind sharing some more info about it with me? Photos? Area?

I am considering it for my trip in March 2008.

THANKS!

Tara

tarajane Mar 30th, 2007 01:40 PM

ttt

Canada_V Apr 29th, 2007 12:11 PM

Hey tarajane - did you ever get any feedback from opaldog? We are also getting close to booking it for June 2008. I am particularly interested in talking to someone who has slept on the sofa bed :-)

pmuzzy17 Apr 29th, 2007 12:18 PM

What is the story behind the name "opaldog"?

opaldog Apr 29th, 2007 03:37 PM

I just saw this post and never knew I was being called. The apartment on rue d'Ormesson was great. I'll have to see if I can post some pictures. The area couldn't have been better. It was on a small street parallel to rue Ste. Antoine off of rue de sevigne on the closer end and rue de turenne at the other. Across the street is place du marche ste. catherine, a small, very pretty square surrounded by small restaurants with apartments above. On the other side of place du marche ste catherine is rue de jarente. The St. Paul metro stop was right around the corner, as was Place des Vosges. Up rue ste. antoine is the Bastille. There is a monoprix not far on ste. antoine and numerous patisseries, wine shops, etc. The apartment itself was on the 2nd (I think) floor, with one apartment on each floor. The windows looked out onto the street and square. It was a very comfortable, nicely furnished apartment. The kitchen was a good size, set apart from the living room; it had a small window overlooking the courtyard. The separate bedroom was a decent size with window on the street and the good sized bathroom leading off of it, with a high window on the courtyard. The bathroom had a nice deep tub/shower combo. The floors of the apartment were wood. It was light and airy. There is cable/satellite tv and a telephone. We were very pleased. We are going to be using vacationinparis next week; unfortunately we could not book it again and are staying up in the 3rd near square du temple. We did not sleep on the sofa bed. Sorry, I can't give you any feedback on that. The name opaldog comes from my departed greyhound, opal. She was a sweet dog with a good racing name, Gull's Fire Opal. Now I have a Boston Terrier, Dotty, so maybe someday I will be posting as bostondot. Hope the apartment info helps. Vacationinparis is a good company to deal with; paying in dollars is a bonus.

Canada_V May 1st, 2007 06:59 AM

Thanks opaldog (butting into tarajane's post!)

Canada_V May 2nd, 2007 05:48 PM

opaldog - if you are still monitoring this post, I found your name searching for posts about 38 rue Ste Croix de la Bretonnerie. I'm thinking that we might want more 'bed' than in the rue d'Ormesson. How would you 'rank' this apartment vs the rue Ste Croix de la Bretonnerie? Have you stayed in any other of the rentparis apartments?

opaldog May 2nd, 2007 06:07 PM

The rue ste croix de la bretonnerie apartment was equally great. That trip we took with our grown children. My husband and I slept on the sofa bed in the living room/dining room. It was comfortable enough. My daughter and son-in-law slept in the bedroom on the queen bed and my son slept in the same room in on a trundle (which he didn't open). Ste Croix apartment definitely slept more people than the rue d'Ormesson. The location was also very good. Also with nice big windows looking out onto a street scene worth watching. The kitchen was modern and opened on to the dining area and living room. The bathroom had a door into the living room area and also into the bedroom. There was cable tv and telephone, microwave, washer dryer/combo (which we did not use; too complicated). There was a laundromat directly across the street. The rambuteau metro was around the corner and the hotel de ville metro was a few blocks away. BHV was an easy walk. Rue rambuteau, one street up, has lots of food stores, etc. I would recommend this apartment for 4-6 people. Rentparis was fine to deal with. You do pay in euros. We did rent another apartment from them, but it was a studio on rue de braque. That was the first apartment we rented and we were hooked after that.

Fibonacci2358 May 2nd, 2007 06:13 PM

bookmarking

Canada_V May 3rd, 2007 03:36 AM

Thanks opaldog! I have almost finished this first phase of my apartment research so will be "meeting with" the rest of the family (ok so it is only the husband and the kids) and will be posting my 'true short list' for opinions soon - hope you will jump on with your feedback when it shows up!

opaldog May 3rd, 2007 05:20 AM

I am actually heading to the airport in 4 hours. We will be going to Rome and Paris. We are renting an apartment in Rome through sleepinitaly and in Paris the apartment is with vacationinparis. I am packed after four months of obsessive planning and research. This is a first for us to Rome, but it is our 9th visit to Paris. We will be heading to Chantilly for an afternoon to visit the chateau and go to the races. We try to hit the horse track whenever we travel, if possible. It's pretty classy racing in France. Good luck with the apartment searches.

Canada_V May 3rd, 2007 08:24 AM

opaldog - you're probably already gone... if not - have a great trip!!!

opaldog May 3rd, 2007 09:01 AM

Thanks so much. I'm heading out the door.
I might post from Paris where we will have a computer and internet connection.

opaldog May 14th, 2007 01:10 AM

We're back from a great trip. We are tired and have to jump right back into our regular routine. I do have some more apartment reports on different apartments than those above. I'll get back when I have sorted everything out.