Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Calling on the Fodorite Gods of Mount Olympus (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/calling-on-the-fodorite-gods-of-mount-olympus-735606/)

marginal_margiela Sep 10th, 2007 07:12 PM

Calling on the Fodorite Gods of Mount Olympus

If you could spend Christmas anywhere in Europe, where would it be? Why?

It can't be anywhere in England, and it can't be Paris.

I am driving myself crazy trying to find a 7-day getaway. The big problem is that I have been everywhere.

Thinking about Lyon, Berlin, and Strasbourg.

Thingorjus

thursdaysd Sep 10th, 2007 07:46 PM

How about Vienna? Lots of cafes and museums if it's cold out, and a big cathedral for a good spectacle on Christmas Eve. Budapest and Venice are both reasonable train trips if you don't want to spend all seven days in the same place.

mermaid_ Sep 10th, 2007 07:53 PM

Are you more interested in freezing your tootsies or warming the cockles of your heart? Snow or sun, which do want?

marginal_margiela Sep 10th, 2007 08:07 PM

I have been to Vienna; it is not one of my favourite places.

I don't care if warm or cold weather, but I don't want a beach vacation because I just returned from Greece.

Michael Sep 10th, 2007 08:31 PM

For seven days, definitely Berlin. The weather may be lousy, but at least it has enough indoor cultural activities to keep you busy for a week. I can't imagine Strasbourg or even Lyon offering as much.

Dukey Sep 11th, 2007 12:20 AM

Your problem is actually THINKING you've been everywhere (but I understand <G>).

Definitely Berlin including a sidetrip to Potsdam for the palaces.

Lots to see and do, easy to get around, plenty of "cultural" activities, shopping, and nightlife.

The latest in the year I have been was at the end of November one year...certainly not bone-chilling cold but mid-Atlantic US similar weather.

BTilke Sep 11th, 2007 12:30 AM

If I wanted to try someplace completely new for Christmas, I'd go to:
Helsinki
Dresden, side trip to Meissen and Gorlitz
Slovenia (capital plus a cool hotel in the mountains)
Bergamo or Turin
Mallorca (avoiding the ultra touristy spots...maybe a hip hotel in Palma for three days, then off to the countryside)

or, wild card:
Buenos Aires (not in Europe, but...)

Jay_G Sep 11th, 2007 01:23 AM

I'd say go to Lyon.

Plenty to do, visit and see including the second largest art gallery in France and Christmas markets.

I imagine a Christmas dinner in the gastronomic capital of France would be slightly better than those in Berlin and Strasbourg if you plan to eat out. The seasonal specialities (look out for pappillotes particularly) are truly delicious and probably worth the trip on their own.

Factor in a high likelihood of snowfall for that authentic Christmassy feeling, and you can't go wrong really.

caroline_edinburgh Sep 11th, 2007 02:25 AM

Another vote for Berlin, especially if you are interested in contemporary art. It's now our favourite place for a city break and we feel we need to go back every year.

Weadles Sep 11th, 2007 03:05 AM

I didn't like Lyon at all. We stayed in the Old Town, and were generally disappointed in the city and its (SORRY TO ALL FOODIES OUT THERE) mostly pretentious food. I haven't been to Berlin since I was about 4,( and of course I remember nothing from that trip), so that's where I'd recommend going.

Dukey Sep 11th, 2007 03:13 AM

You could easily combine a trip to Berlin with a sidetrip to Dresden, too.

Jay_G Sep 11th, 2007 03:17 AM

Sorry to highjack the thread, but Weadles, can I ask why you were disappointed in Lyon as a city?

As for the restaurants, you must have chosen very badly, as the best restaurants in Lyon avoid the pretensions of their Parisian counterparts in favour of better quality produce cooked simply.

caroline_edinburgh Sep 11th, 2007 03:43 AM

We stayed in Lyon especially to eat at Paul Bocuse & were disappointed - the food was quite good but not fantastic. Although it was a wonderfully camp experience ! We thought he must just keep his 3 stars due to being a national treasure.

Dukey Sep 11th, 2007 04:10 AM

Oh, please..let's not have a food fight!

And speaking of food, Thin, if you do go to Berlin over the holiday period be certain to take in the KaDeWe and its wonderful store decorations as well as the food hall.

kleeblatt Sep 11th, 2007 04:33 AM

I wasn't overly impressed by the food hall but found many of the sales clerks to be quite handsome and charming.

marginal_margiela Sep 11th, 2007 05:28 AM

I have been to Buenos Aires, so that is out.

I don't think there would be enough to see and do in Dresden for 7 days.

I have been to Lyon before, back in 1999. I was only there overnight. I had the most WONDERFUL quennelles at La Voute along the Rhone. Loved Vieux Lyon as it reminded me of Florence. I always thought I would go back for a longer visit.

I have been to Ibiza, but not Mallorca. Wouldn't that be kind of a beach vacation?? Don't want that.

Berlin is looking pretty good. :)

What hotel in Berlin? I think I would want to stay in Mitte.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus

marginal_margiela Sep 11th, 2007 05:31 AM

BTilke, isn't Bergamo on Lake Como? Guess what?? Keith and I are going to Lake Como next summer. We met this nice lady on Rhodes whose mother-in-law lives near Villa d'Este. She convinced us we should take our next summer holiday on the lake.

Thin

Dukey Sep 11th, 2007 06:02 AM

Yes, Mitte would probably be best for you...after all, you don't want to get too "edgy"...I suppose nothing short of the Adlon will do (sigh!)

Seamus Sep 11th, 2007 07:43 AM

Another vote for Berlin. It has a cool mix of tradition and edginess, and the restoration/development that has taken place over the last decade or so has been generally well done. There are a range of hotel options - see http://tinyurl.com/2hagzv
Lots of apartments as well but my guess is you would prefer a hotel.
The penumbra of Sally Bowles drives some tourist marketing but only to a small degree, and a less schlocky vibe prevails. If you do run into him, give Max my best.

marginal_margiela Sep 11th, 2007 11:17 AM

I can't afford the Adlon as I just spent about 10 thousand on my trip to Greece. I was thinking about the Melia on the Friedrichstrasse(?). I read on tripadvisor that it is centrally located and it is only a 15-minute walk to the Brandenburg Gate. Restaurants are across the street.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus