I've posted a couple of questions about a trip to Europe for next summer but I don't think I've been specific enough, so here goes hopefully a better attempt.
I want to do a challenging multi-day hike next year, preferably in the Alps, but am open to ideas. I have picked the Alps because I have fallen in love with the romance of Mont Blanc from images and stories of others. However, this year I did some hiking in the Dolomites - in the Val Gardena area - so I do know that height is not the only qualifier for awesome. I would definitely consider the Dolomites again but only if I was doing a via ferrata as I want more challenge than single day valley hikes next time.
I also would like to see Slovenia and Croatia but whatever I do I just want to find some water after the hiking week and also would like a city to explore at some stage.
My trip will be four weeks and I come from Australia.
1. do you have recommendations on week-long hiking routes in the Alps that include challenge (I would like to hike for more than 3-4 hours a day - up to 7 or more)
2. Have you heard of this route:
3. What are your thoughts on height of mountains? Does it matter for challenge, beauty etc?
4. I would like to do the Alps from the Italian side but am open to ideas. I would consider France, Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia or even Germany.
5. Does anyone have ideas for the itinerary before/after the hiking based on my priorities above?
6. Is it a silly idea to do the Alps and then get to Slovenia/Croatia? The reason I would like to do this is because this year I saw Spain, France and Italy and I guess I feel like I should expand my cultural horizons. When you come from Australia you're never sure when you'll be back!
7. My budget for this trip would be well under €6000 if possible, including flights which cost around €1300. Is this doable? (I spent a lot more than that in six weeks this year but I didn't hold back and shopped a lot too!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 GTG Paris December 2017
- 2 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 3 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 4 Christmas Markets 2017
- 5 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 6 Budget trip
- 7 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 8 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 9 Driving
- 10 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 11 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 12 Algarve Town Selection
- 13 Tips for first trip to UK
- 14 paris to london- day trip
- 15 Browsing Barcelona
- 16 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 17 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 18 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 19 Buying a motorcycle in Europe??
- 20 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 21 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 22 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 23 Portugal
- 24 Pisa Central to Hotel Kinzica at late night.
- 25 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia