Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Calling Lausanne Experts: Hotel advice needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/calling-lausanne-experts-hotel-advice-needed-713322/)

kleeblatt Jun 15th, 2007 03:02 AM

Calling Lausanne Experts: Hotel advice needed

I need a double room for one night only: August 11. I'll be going to the Olympic stadium that night to watch the Rolling Stones concert. They still haven't announced the time of the concert: it could be afternoon or evening.

I found a very reasonable hotel called l'Union in Epalinges. Is that too far out of the way? Would I definitely need a car? Can I get to the stadium using public transportation from that hotel? Should I find another hotel?

I would like to go to Lausanne by train (from central Switzerland) but can go by car. I'm looking for a reasonable hotel not more than SFr. 175.-- per night per room. A quiet room would be desirable.

Merci!

car Jun 15th, 2007 03:11 AM

Hotel L'Union is nice and comfortable,
right near the motorway to Geneva.
So far out of the city center, it takes about 20minutes by bus, right outside the hotel.
If you have a car It is not a bad idea to leave at the hotel free parking and take the bus into town.

kleeblatt Jun 15th, 2007 03:38 AM

Thank you very much!

beaupeep Jun 19th, 2007 05:24 AM

Rats! I tried to get those tickets and didn't win! Lucky you. I am going to lurk outside the stadium though.

I wouldn't stay in Epalinges or near Geneva but right in Lausanne. Depending on the time of the concert and what time it is over, you could be waiting around for a while for a bus or train and there is parking near the stadium but this hotel but once it gets out you will be sitting in traffic for an hour at least trying to get out of that lot.

This hotel is in the center of town and within walking distance to the stadium. I stayed there the night before I got married and it is a nice place. The couple speaks English, husband is from California.
www.hotel-regina.ch

jmw44 Jun 19th, 2007 06:17 AM

Apologies all around for piggy-backing and downright interrupting, but perhaps you'll understand when I say that my first taste of Switzerland was during an accidental stay in Lausanne sometime in the early 70's.

My friends and I had not even intended to visit Switzerland, but it was our summer of "Europe on 5 dollars a Day," and armed with our Eurrail passes we sort of stumbled around Germany, Austria, Italy, France, and Holland. Stumbled meaning sans itinerary, choosing as we went along, finding places to stay by standing in lines at the tourist desks in railroad stations. What an adventure from three naive young ladies.

Anyway, for some reason, heading from Rome to Paris, we decided to spend a night or two in Switzerland, and Lausanne was on our route. The TO found us a room on rue des Fleurettes downhill from the station in a pensione called by the same name. We had a corner room that looked out over the lower city and across the lake to the mountains. Oh My God. Love at first sight.

So I can't help but wonder if the pensione is still there. It was a two- or three-story house, and I think we entered from the rear. We stayed there a second time a few years later, and then one summer I began restricting my homebases to villages,(Rivaz when in Vaud) which has remained the case since then.

beaupeep, perhaps one day you'll be in the mood to go for a stroll? I have no idea how long des fleurettes is, but we were downhill just a bit and off to the right of the station (as we walked). Is this audacious or what? Trusting that you'll forgive and credit it to our shared love of Switzerland. Hi, schuler. (and hello to swandav if she's looking in.) J.

suze Jun 19th, 2007 06:18 AM

There's that one called Lausanne Backpacker & Guest House (I think is correct) that looks nice on their website.

kleeblatt Jun 19th, 2007 06:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid Hotel L'Union would be too far away.

I've book a room at Hotel Port down at the lake. There aren't many rooms available on August 11 so I was lucky to get this one. It sounds beautiful even though it's a bit far from the stadium. I hope that won't matter too much. I would love to wake up Sunday morning and take a walk along the lake.

beaupeep Jun 19th, 2007 06:46 AM

The Hotel du Port is lovely and right down the street from my office. I looked up Chemin des Fleurettes on our on-line phone directory and there is no pension on that street anymore. I know where it is though because my husband and I take walks at night and it is one of the streets we would like to live on. Amazing views!

Enjoy the concert...

jmw44 Jun 20th, 2007 03:51 AM

Thank you, beaupeep. I suppose that means the house is private once more, or perhaps apartments? Our room had access to the flat roof over the glassed in porch/breakfast room below. I can recall standing out there in absolute awe of the vista before me. As I mentioned, that side of the house faced the street just below Fleurettes (a drop of another house level with steps down from the glass porch). Perhaps now its address is on that street, though I know that the pension entrance was Fleurettes. I wistfully imagined that the next generation of the family would carry on. On my next visit to Rivaz, I'll make a pilgrimage to see if I can recognize it. Thanks so much for your good humor and willingness to assist.

Another old memory, this one for you, schuler. Such a lovely walk along the lake! With two charming sculptures: One of horses heads, and farther along, one of the three monkeys of "See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil" fame. Now, beaupeep, I hope you don't tell me that they no longer exist. With great affection, J.

beaupeep Jun 20th, 2007 05:37 AM

The horse's head fountain is still by the lake but I don't think I've ever seen the monkeys! Maybe I just haven't spotted it yet.

jmw44 Jun 21st, 2007 05:35 AM

The monkeys were much farther along the promenade, I think. Maybe going East (or if my compass is in error, it would be as if you turned left and walked along the lake.) J.

beaupeep Jun 25th, 2007 03:42 AM

Yes, you will be happy to know that the monkeys still exist! I asked my husband and he said they are in a little park past the Olympic Museum.

jmw44 Jun 25th, 2007 03:59 AM

You made my day, beaupeep! You know, Lausanne is such a graceful, lovely city. I love walking up the wooden steps to the cathedral. And the train station, for some unkown reason, is one of my favorites. As a base for rail daytrips, it's hard to beat.

Hello to schuler (how are things in Rothenthurm?) and S!
J.

kleeblatt Jun 25th, 2007 10:20 AM

Hello jmw!

It's raining AGAIN with heavy thundershowers. It was beautiful yesterday though with wonderfully warm temperatures.

Hope all is fine with you. Still teaching? My classes end first week of July.

jmw44 Jun 25th, 2007 12:37 PM

Hello! I've been feeling guilty for riding your thread shamelessly. All the news of June weather has been surprising. I think I read somewhere that the Bellinzona stage of the Tour de Suisse had storms and hail? Incredible. Seems like I was watching that stage just the other day.

I can't recall when you said you'd be touring Zug. I'm really looking forward to reading about it. Later, J.