Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Calling Ira! Thanks and a question - restaurant suggestions near Hotel Bonaparte (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/calling-ira-thanks-and-a-question-restaurant-suggestions-near-hotel-bonaparte-679730/)

merrittm Feb 14th, 2007 08:42 AM

Calling Ira! Thanks and a question - restaurant suggestions near Hotel Bonaparte

Hi, Ira. Thanks for your Hotel Bonaparte suggestion. I'll be staying there on my last night in Paris. Do you have any recommendations for your favorite restaurants in the general vicinity? Also, my flight out of CDG is the next day at 10AM. I have wheeled luggage, but it is difficult for me to lift/carry it for long periods. Would the Metro/RER be too much for me? (What I mean is, are there many stairs for this journey?) Thanks in advance.

Margaretlb Feb 14th, 2007 10:28 AM

topping for Ira.

travginny Feb 14th, 2007 05:30 PM

ttt

realshalott Feb 14th, 2007 07:08 PM

I hope you don't mind someone else responding.
If you want a casual place, Le (Café) Bonaparte, is at Place Eglise Saint-Germain-de-Pres, corner of rue Bonaparte. It would be so easy for this place to be a tourist-trap but I don't think so at all. They have excellent, traditionally-cheesy onion soup, and a club (pronounced ‘cloob’) sandwich among many other items. It’s a very popular place to have just a drink, or a dessert. Their ice cream is from the famous Berthillon.

frankdaddy Feb 14th, 2007 07:50 PM

I have asked a few times about a restaurant that the Hotel Bonaparte recommends right around the corner from the Hotel. It was fabulous for lunch. It was not a typical tourist restaurant and I want to go there this week. Do you know which one I am talking about. I believe they say it is one of the oldest restaurants in the same location. Please let me know. Thanks

frankdaddy Feb 14th, 2007 07:56 PM

About your question regarding the Metro. I wheeled my luggage to and from the Metro in May and it is a little hike. About 15-20 minutes if you take your time. You have to go up to the park and then walk around it to the other side. The walk down the steps to the metro is not bad, but after lugging the suitcase it is a little challenging. The metro is quite fast into the airport. I am in pretty good shape and if you are to, it would not be bad at all. Just give your self enough time

LoveItaly Feb 14th, 2007 08:03 PM

Ira is not at home so he probably doesn't have access to a computer as much as he normally does, but he has been posting somewhat while on vacation so no doubt he will see your thread merrittm.

Travelnut Feb 15th, 2007 03:50 AM

I have seen Ira recommend this restaurant in the past:

Restaurant Vagenende
142, bd St Germain 75006 Paris
Tel: 01 43 26 68 18
http://www.vagenende.fr/

starrsville Feb 15th, 2007 03:55 AM

My first meal in Paris was at the Cafe Bonaparte. We had stopped by Cafe de Flores and Deux Maggots that we had read so much about - and passed them on by and happily settled in at a table at this restaurant. It was wonderful - maybe because it was our first Croque Monsier and onion soup in Paris - but the location and food were both great. When I got back home and on Fodors, I learned that it was a place that ira liked near his favorite hotel.

ira Feb 15th, 2007 03:59 AM

Hi M,

Good suggestions above.

When we were somewhat younger, we took the metro. We no longer do.

> I have wheeled luggage, but it is difficult for me to lift/carry it for long periods.<

The hotel will arrange for a shuttle - about 18E.

For restaurants, look up 61 rue bonaparte at www.viamivhelin.com or www.mappy.com.

There are many restaurants on rue Guisarde and the streets connecting to it.

Here's a list of places we have been or have been recommended here:

**Amorino 4 Rue de Buci Gelato

Aux Charpentiers 10 rue Mabillon, 01 43 26 30 05 Noted for Duck breast with olives and also Lamb

**Bistrot Henri. 16 rue Princesse Go N to Rue du Four, Go right authentic bistrot serving traditional French food

Café de la Mairie 8 pl. St-Sulpice, 01 43 26 67 82 good rating on Fodors

Café Bonaparte 42 rue Bonaparte N of Boul St. Germaine

Chez Papa 3 r St Benoît 01 42 86 99 63 The portions are enormous and the entire meal is usually less than 20 € per person, including an excellent local winelist. get a "Boyarde" salade

La Boussole 12 rue Guisarde 01 56 24 82 20 Open every day for lunch and dinner, nonstop on weekends 20E menu

La Cigale Recamier 4, rue Recamier Phone 01 45 48 86 58 off Rue Du Four near the Sevres-Babylon Metro abt 25E pp Souffles recommended

Petit Saint Benoit 4 Rue Saint Benoit 01 42 60 27 92 near corner of Rue Jacob basic Bistro food

****Poilâne Bakery 8 rue du Cherche Midi Rue du Vieux Colombier to square Go left

**Pizza Vesuvio 1 Rue Gozlin

As noted, my Lady Wife loves Vagenende - more for the atmosphere than the food.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

grandmere Feb 15th, 2007 07:29 AM

I like both of these, which are probably a 10-12 min. walk from Bonaparte: Chez Fernand, on rue Christine, and Allard, corner of rue St. Andre des Arts and rue de l'Eperon.

ekscrunchy Feb 15th, 2007 08:04 AM

I would agree about Allard. If you want to scroll through a very long thread, you can read the details of 6 days of Paris eating at the end of the report; dinner at Allard is included. There is so much great eating around there; another poster with some great food information is JulieV..see if you can find her eating in Paris report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34894706

Michel_Paris Feb 15th, 2007 08:07 AM

I liked Chez Clement, on St Andre des Arts. I had seen it recommended, and went in November. Larger restaurant, nice interior, efficient service.

http://www.chezclement.com/anglais/index.php

For 41 Euros:

At beginning brought plate with two pieces of nice cured sausage, then
Terrine Maison (very good)
˝ Vittel
1/4 poulet fermier de Loué, red label with thyme, creamy potatoes (tasty)
No veggies, just potatoes
Glace et fruits for dessert
Espresso
Glass of Bordeaux wine

Hope this helps

merrittm Feb 15th, 2007 11:50 AM

Now THIS is why I love Fodor's. Thank you all for your kind responses and what a cornucopia of suggestions!

marcy_ Feb 15th, 2007 12:00 PM

A favorite of ours in that neighborhood is:

Fish
69, Rue du Seine
Tel : 01 43 54 34 69
It's cozy and casual, reasonably priced, and has a great wine selection.

beaupeep Feb 15th, 2007 12:09 PM

Deux Magots, not Maggots! Yikes. Who would want to go to a Café called Maggots....

merrittm Mar 6th, 2007 08:33 AM

You never know - there's a "Road Kill Cafe" in Maine.....

samsmom1127 Mar 7th, 2007 07:50 AM

bkm

Michel_Paris Mar 7th, 2007 08:42 AM

I believe the restaurant that frankdaddy is talking about is Le Procope. I have not read any good reviews on the food, just ones recommending going only for a drink. It is historical, the area around it is quite neat (covered passageway, cobblestone street) but I would consider other places...like Le Petit Zinc. Traditional bistrot, good seafood, classy.
Here's a web site:

http://www.petit-zinc.com/en/index.html

Also had a quite good croque monsieur and cafe creme at Cafe Bonaparte

ekscrunchy Mar 7th, 2007 08:58 AM

If indeed you mean Le Procope, they do claim to be the oldest cafe in the city. I had an oyster lunch there recently and it was excellent but then again, lunch was only oysters and Sancerre. I would not choose to eat a full meal there since there are so many places with better food in the area.

FISH looks really cute and is moderate in price. American owners, I believe.