Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Calling home (US) from Europe. Any money saving ideas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/calling-home-us-from-europe-any-money-saving-ideas-234191/)

Pamela Jun 25th, 2002 05:28 AM

Calling home (US) from Europe. Any money saving ideas?

I will be in Ireland next week. Parents are worried about their adult daughter (me) driving all over Ireland. Is there any reasonably inexpensive way to call home a couple of times just for a minute each time to let them know I'm ok?<BR>Thanks!

trying Jun 25th, 2002 05:44 AM

Maybe this is a remedial answer, but plan on buying a phone card after arriving in Ireland. Indeed, you may need a card just to use a phone (not sure about Ireland, but in some cities/countries, the phones don't use change). For an almost nominal cost, you will probably have enough minutes to call them several times. My experience (in other countries) is that there are different types of cards (with more or fewer minutes).

Pamela Jun 25th, 2002 07:06 AM

Thank you "trying to help".<BR>Anyone else have any other ideas?

Kay Jun 25th, 2002 07:37 AM

You already have the best answer -- a 5-Euro phone card should take care of all your needs for a week or two.

ray Jun 25th, 2002 07:39 AM

How about a simple fax from your hotel or from a business center to let them know that everything is fine.<BR><BR>The cost would be minimal and you could check in regularly without having to explain every detail of your trip.<BR><BR>

Gerry Jun 25th, 2002 07:42 AM

My son is in Ireland at the moment - backpacking for the last 6 weeks. He has been keeping in touch via email or phone (bought a phone card in Ireland).<BR>You shouldn't have any problems.

Diane Jun 25th, 2002 08:00 AM

Do NOT under any circumstances fall for the ads that tell you how easy it is to call from any phone and charge it to any credit card. Yes, it is easy...but the cost is HORRENDOUS! (Think $35 phone calls!) We had a malfunctioning phone card and the need to make a call to the US, so it was about our only option at the time...however be warned!<BR>(Happily, we worked out the phone card problem. They are fantastic for making local OR internatinoal calls.)

Rex Jun 25th, 2002 06:56 PM

I don't want to swap my value systems for yours - - but you might find it is worth a modest investment to just buy a mobile phone. With many providers, you can buy a pre-paid phone for under 80 euro, and it will include 25 euro worth of phone time. Incoming calls are free and don't delepte your pre-paid time.<BR><BR>and then sell it forward to somebody going to ireland here on this forum. I predict you will have no trouble finding someone who will give you 50 or 60 dollars for it.<BR><BR>I have done exactly this, and it worked super - - for me, my family and the buyer who loved getting it from me (she sold it onward too!)<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>