Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trying to Decide: Portugal? Sicily? Croatia? Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I hate these "help me decide" posts more than anything because I keep wondering if the posters have done ANY research at all!

But, were looking seriously at all three, have done plenty of research, and yet are still in doubt.

We've never been to any of them. We can spend a week. Budget is pretty much wide open.

We like: beaches, great views, ruins, museums, churches. We are not "foodies."

We usually use public transport but would probably rent a car in either Sicily or Portugal; not sure about Croatia (have wondered about doing some sort of small boat cruise to the islands there..perhaps renting the whole "small" boat!)

We loved Greece and we loved Spain every time we visited.

Probably be in the Summer despite the heat and possible crowds and we will go on from whichever one to Munich and beyond.

Croatia is also appealing because we think we could stop off in Venice for a couple of days on the way north.

If anyone has any insights or links to trip reports they think would be particularly helpful that would be appreciated. Thanks very much for any help.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 05:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have not been to Sicily or Croatia, and they both sound like great destinations. But I have been to Portugal twice now and would like to go again. This is a link to my trip report from last summer, when my husband and I went to Lisbon and the Alentejo. We didn't go to any beach destinations, although there are plenty in Portugal. We did see lots of great views and ruins and some museums.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35062668
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 06:17 AM

>>We like: beaches, great views, ruins, museums, churches. We are not "foodies."<<

Sicily has all the things you like, and even if you are not "foodies", the food is wonderful.

But Sicily can get very hot in the summer...
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 06:56 AM

I have not been to Portugal (plan to go there this year) but have been to Sicily and Croatia and absolutely am smitten with both. My favourite would have to be Croatia but many of their beaches are concrete. However, if you look you can find some isolated beaches that are pebbly. Both have churches, views, museums, etc. Although you are not a foodie, hopefully this trip will win you over! They both have excellent food.

As far as ruins go, the winner would definitely be Sicily. Sicily has some of the best ruins on the planet (even better than Greece!).

If beaches and ruins are most important I would choose Sicily.

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Sicily is beautiful. If you're going for about a week I would fly into Palermo and focus on the western/southern side of the island. Sicily's most famous ruins are at Agrigento, but I almost prefer the sites of Selinunte and Segesta. The beaches near San Capo Lo Vito and in the Zingaro Nature Reserve have beautiful turqruoise water. Erice is a great medeival town and in Marsala I would visit the Florio Vineyard for the English speaking tour which is really interesting. The food is great- always really fresh.

It does get VERY hot in Sicily. If you are travelling during the summer I recommend travelling in June when it is still bearable. July and August are almost too hot to do anything comfortably outside. Not to mention, that in August most Sicilians go on vacation themselves so many places are closed.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Have been to Sicily and Portugal.Sicily is an absolute winner.We travelled to Taormina from Malta and were bowled over by the beauty.It was a record for heat though(95+ everyday from early morning to very late at night) The food was out of this world(definitely preferable to what we were exposed to in Portugal in terms of variety and freshness) Portugal is good also although we much preferred Lisbon to any of the beach areas like the Algarve.Both places offer views although Etna definitely impresses in Sicily.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 02:36 AM

I con't help you with Croatia, but I spent a few days in Sicily (most Palermo area) and I loved the experience.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Done all 3.

I know they look small on the map but if we measure in terms of "Wales" the international standard country then portugal is x2 while the others are close to x1 so all a bit big to generalise.

All three get hot, all three have great views, all three have good food though I might rate them Portugal, Sicily, Croatia.

From an ethical point of view the second two have some concerns (yeh I know that fodorites feel they can rise above this).

I think Portugal is the nicest. Have a bit of time in the North and heat will be better
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM

Dukey, which did you decide if any? I am having trouble choosing between Croatia and Portugal for an end of August/beginning of September trip. Thoughts?