Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Calling all Australians travelling to Italy in 2001...

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 04:34 AM
Kimerley

Hi all, this site is great but there does not seem to be many Australians using it!
I need advise on finding the cheapest flights from Sydney to London, London to Rome, Venice to Paris, London to Sydney.
I want to fly out to London on May 28 2001, returning to Sydney 13 July 2001.
I am a member of Star Alliance and ideally would like to fly with the appropriate carrier to accrue points.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 01:46 AM
kimerley

Are there any Australians out there....

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 03:30 AM
Sjoerd

I am not Australian, but why don't you contact one or two travel agents in the city where you live? These people are trained to answer questions like yours.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Diane

I bet it is the same story the whole world over (gosh that sounds like an old song). The airlines aren't ready to start offering any kind of deal for Spring flights just yet.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 01:47 PM
gayle

Hi Kimerley, I live in Melbourne and follow this board on a daily basis. I didnt answer your question, because there is an answer that you want to here. We went to UK/Europe for 7 weeks in March this year. We fluked onto a ticket in September last year (which I have watched for and did not reappear this year) flying with KLM. The ticket was an amazing $1090 and was ticketed as an Australia to UK ticket but because KLM (which is Dutch)are partners with Alitalia we were able to stop at Amsterdam on the way to London, a few days later fly to Heathrow (counted as arriving at destination) we spent 8 days in the UK then flew to Milan (which counted as on our way home as far as the plane ticket goes) We toured Italy for 16 days before taking off for Switzerland, Germany and Austria (Vienna only) using rail passes. The night before we were due to fly home (3 weeks later) we caught the overnight train back to Milan (Italy) and departed for Melb the next morning. (all of this for $1090!)The point is that there are different options. Youll never find cheap internal flights within Europe here in Australia but hope we will in the future with Virgin taking an interest in us re International flights soon. You might have more luck once you hit London. It depends how much you want to have definitely scheduled before you leave home. Good luck - Gayle

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 01:49 PM
gayle

Sorry Kimmerly, meant to say "isnt an answer you want to hear!)- Gayle

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 03:41 PM
kimerley

Many thanks, I am aware of when the fares come out for next year, travel agents are usually to be avoided as they only push what they get benefits for....
Just wanted other Aussie views on how they snatched a bargain from Australia.
There seems to be so many deals for other countries. Thanks Gayle, will contact KLM.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 04:41 PM
Kerry

Hi, Kimerley. Do a search on www.travel.com.au Cheapest at the moment for the dates you wish to travel is $1,185 on Garuda. KLM and Malaysian often have good specials. Flew Singapore Airlines during high season this year and paid $1,700 but this was an early-bird pay now fly later fare. Also see www.getaway.com.au and subscribe to the Travelshop. They will send you weekly emails with fare updates.