Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   California family to London in January (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/california-family-to-london-in-january-215466/)

Monica Dec 14th, 2001 07:28 PM

California family to London in January

I just got a great opportunity to go to London on business and my husband and one-year-old daughter are coming along. We have booked her own seat on the plane, but are debating on bringing her carseat because we plan to take public transport once we're there. Anyone had a child that young in their own seat without a carseat and did it work at all? The deal is that the carseat is just soooo hard to lug around the airport (although I think we should bring it anyway but that's probably because I'm not the one who winds up carrying it!). Also, how should we dress our daughter? I honestly don't know, she doesn't even have a winter coat yet!

JOdy Dec 15th, 2001 03:04 AM

On our last flight to London,there was a couple with a young child in a stroller, when they boarded the man undid a latch or 2 and the seat ,which was a car seat, popped out, the wheel portion folded and went in overhead,and baby and carseat were plopped in the seat and strapped in. clever gadget, don't know what you call themm but would be worth investing in. Don't waorry about public transportation, except buses may be a hassle, though they do have an open space for strollers , but on the tube , even with the long flights ofstairs or escalators < I have never seen anyone go unassisted in getting up them. Strangers just automatically grab the front or back of stroller and help! Wonderful people , Londoners!

Monica Dec 15th, 2001 12:07 PM

Jody--that is a great system, unfortunately it's for smaller children (under 20 lbs, 23 inches, about six months or younger). We had it but it's outgrown now!

Surlok Dec 15th, 2001 03:09 PM

A back pack ( as far as you wear it as a front pack) will make it. We were in London with my (then) one year old grand son. My daughter toolk the Pliko, the Peg Perego sturdy, light and foldable stroller, and a back pack. Both were quite used during our trip.<BR><BR>If you want to buy your daughter some clothes and a coat in London, I recommend you to go to "El Corte Ingles". It's Spanish department store, it's in High St. Kensington, if I'm not wrong. The merchandise are all imported from Spain, and although much cheaper than the British products, as the ones you'd find in Harrods or Selfridge's. The Spanish clothes and shoes ( the kids' boots are lovely) are of a very good quality , and have a great design/style<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Monica Dec 15th, 2001 03:38 PM

We loved El Corte Ingles in Spain, so we'll be sure to check it out in London. I think we've decided to take the carseat, mostly because it's safer. I think we're leaving the backpack at home, just because it's kinda large so it's either a stroller or a carseat, not both, and the stroller will probably see more use. Keep those tips coming!!

Leslie Dec 15th, 2001 07:22 PM

Are you bringing a stroller? If you need to buy one, buy one that the car seat fits into. Also, on the plane, the flight attendant will give you a bassinet type item for your daughter to sleep in if you can get bulkhead seats (you should request them). The bassinet attaches to the wall in front of the bulkhead seats. However, during takeoff and landing you will have to harness your daughter to yourself. The flight attendant will give you the appropriate seatbelt for both of you. Hope this helps.

JOdy Dec 15th, 2001 07:41 PM

You may need to check , the stroller/car seat thing I saw held a child about 18 months or more, or at least he was a biggy!They may have been English and have been carrying ths thing with them.As more people walk there they may have different items than we have, in fact, I would almost guarantee it!<BR><BR>I would go for a full body snowsuit thing, hands , feet and hood. if they are not available in CA , try internet or wait tillyou get there. everyone has their babies in them so I'm sure you'll find all price ranges.

Leslie Dec 15th, 2001 07:50 PM

Check with your airline or hotel, you might be able to rent a stroller while you are in London. Of course the price might be prohibitive, and it might just be worthwhile to bring your own.<BR><BR>Also, you might check weather.com to get an accurate picture of what the temperature will be like. You might want to get a fleece snow suit.

Monica Dec 16th, 2001 07:23 PM

Jody: I had no idea they made carseat stroller combos for older babies. Probably doesn't make much of a difference--our carseat was 200.00 and the stroller the same so I doubt we'll be replacing them!

Mel Dec 16th, 2001 08:09 PM

Monica: Look into the plastic cover-all for the stroller. Everyone in London seems to have them and you'll need it if a shower begins when you're out and about. They slip over the entire front of the carriage so you can keep going and your daughter stays dry. I have a friend who has taken her son to London several times--his first trip being at 7 months and his last in October at 19 months. She got her plastic cover through a catalog, I believe. I'll check with her tomorrow about where but, if you don't find one here, you'll surely have no trouble getting one in London!<BR><BR>By the way, she and her husband swear by the backpack!<BR><BR>Have a great time!

Surlok Dec 16th, 2001 08:19 PM

Monica,<BR><BR>If you're not renting a car, and using mostly the tube in London, I wonder when and where would your daughter use that car seat... Even if you use taxies or busses as transportation, did you think that you'll have to take the seat wherever you go, plus your daughter and probably the stroller, too? It doesn't make sense to me. <BR><BR>If you mean your daughter using it while you're in the plane, still, I don't think she will during landing and taking off. Your daughter will be seating on your( or your husband's) lap, wearing an extra belt attaching hers to your body, as Leslie said. The bassinet will likely be more comfortable while she's asleep ( probably, and hopefully most of the time you'll be flying). So, please, do as Leslie wisely advises, requesting bulkhead seats ( try to get the seats assigned beforehand), and give the car seat issue a second thought.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S<BR><BR>

Barbara Dec 17th, 2001 07:56 AM

Monica, take the car seat. Your daughter is used to sitting in it and probably has taken many naps in it. She will be comfortable and much safer in her familiar seat. She will be much safer during take off and landing sitting in her car seat than on your lap. Yes, it will be a pain to lug around the airport, but during the flight (10hrs?)you will have a much easier time.

Monica Dec 18th, 2001 08:15 PM

Barbara: Yes, we are going to take the carseat for the reasons you mentioned. I'm hoping she sleeps on the plane! Then it will stay safely tucked in the hotel room until we need it for the return flight. David: We do have a quick fold umbrella stroller with a full rain hood. It's a Maclaren, I actually bought it thinking of trips on and off European buses and my foresight has paid off! It's a british stroller anyhow, so it should feel right at home!