Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Caledonian, Sheraton, Balmoral or Crown Plaza Hotels Edinburgh

Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Which of the above hotels would you recommend to a couple on a birthday celebration few days. I have booked the Witchery for celebration dinner and would like to try a ghost walk. We want somewhere pretty cosy with robes,room service etc. and easy walking distance to Royal Mile & Princes St (as it will be December). I have looked on rants and raves as well as travel talk, but am very confused as they all get good and bad revues. We don't want stuffy or too starchy, but wouldn't mind a bit of plush!! Anyone got any advise to help me come to a decision?? Thank you.
Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:39 AM

In order of "top notchness", it's Balmoral, Cally, Scotsman then Crowne Plaza. But the Balmoral and Cally are a fair bit dearer. The cally is the longest walk from the top of the High Street, and the Scotsman and Crown plaza are about equi distant. The Scotsman has better views, tho' I doubt if you can see the castle which you can from both the Cally and the Balmoral
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

I have managed to get good rates on all the hotels so I am favouring the Caledonian at the moment. Just a bit worried the rooms may be 'tired'. What do you think?? (thanks so much for your help).
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:44 AM

It won't be tired. It's a lovely hotel. Go for it. Ask for a castle view.
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks Sheila - will go for the Caledonian. I can relax now and look forward to it.
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:25 AM

I've stayed at the Caledonian and loved it. I did get upgraded to a suite with a great view of the castle from 3 HUGE windows. It was my birthday, so about 1/2 hour later there was a knock on my door. I received a multi-fruit basket with 2 bottles of wine(red and white) with the compliments of the manager.

I was visiting friends in Edinburgh, but unfortunately it was only for 1 night. Never got to sleep in the 4 poster bed as we were enjoying ourselves at different establishments that night and I ended having breakfast at my friends house, but I did have a little party in the suite before we all went out and the locals were impressed. The public areas are beautiful as well.

The rooms and hallways do have history behind them, so you may notice some imperfections, but the property is very well run and I would stay there again without any hesitation. Once I came home, I wrote to the manager to thank him for a wonderful birthday stay and his wonderful staff, including the doorman. Can't remember his name now but he is a legend at the Caledonian. The girls at the front desk were wonderful. I received a reply from him few weeks later with an invitation to come back for a longer stay at the same rate for the same suite. He emphasized that as great as his staff and hotel were to me, I should come back to enjoy the beautiful and historic and wonderful and exciting Edinburgh.

There is a small gallery in the lobby where many of the local artists have their work for sale. I did purchase a birthday gift for myself . Check it out, it has some amazing pieces.

Have a wonderful stay, I know I did even though I never slept in the bed .
Nov 4th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Wow, sounds great - how did you get the room upgrade - it is my husbands birthday and a complete surprise for him. Would be lovely to have a 4 poster!! We would certainly use it.
Nov 4th, 2003, 08:42 AM

AngieM,

I believe the upgrade was a combination of having Gold status with Hilton, and the fact that my friend who picked me up at the airport and came in with me during check-in, talked to me about her plans on how I was going to celebrate my birthday that evening. The wonderful front desk clerk overheard our conversation and changed my room assignment without me knowing about it. She smiled and said to enjoy my birthday in this wonderful room, as she was handing the key card to me. I came back to the front desk to thank her and that's when she informed me with a big smile and a wink that there is MORE!!!
The knock on the door came 30 minutes later

I travel a great deal. I do expect certain perks because of my status with airlines and hotels, BUT, I never demand or try to con my way in into anything that I do not pay for. This was one of these GREAT experiences that when it happens, I enjoy and boast about it to anybody that will listen. It was never planned, I did not ask for it, but I really appreciated the extra attention and the fact that a front line employee of a big hotel recognized a possibility to make a loyal customer very happy.

I hope your experience will be just as wonderful. Regardless if you do get the suite or not, I'm sure you will love the hotel and Edinburgh. It's a great destination. I know I'm going back soon and the Caledonian will be my choice for lodging.
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:31 PM

I have to admit, the only time I stayed at the Cally, the same thing happened to me. I had booked a single room, the firm was paying, I had a training seminar at the hotel to go to.

I went and told them there was an error when they let me into the first floor suite overlooking the end of Princes Street Gradens with a view to teh floodlit castle.

I did nothing to deserve or create that, but it was nice.
Nov 5th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys - I'm looking forward to our stay very much now. AngieM