Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Calais to Zurich w/o Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/calais-to-zurich-w-o-paris-1272000/)

dpgeology Apr 8th, 2017 12:17 PM

Calais to Zurich w/o Paris

Hi ALL-- I cant seam to figure out how to get to Zurich to get the Bernina Express to Italy with out going through Paris. I have just two or three days for the Calais to Zurich trip-- so over nights are expected!!
Nothing against Paris just going there a different time
Thanks so much!!!

WoinParis Apr 8th, 2017 01:20 PM

French have developed their country around Paris. It is like a web. So avoiding it would be difficult - you can try via Bruxelles. Calais Bxl is probably shorter than going to Paris. From there, flights, trains, highways ... and beer.

janisj Apr 8th, 2017 01:29 PM

Per your other thread http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-to-italy.cfm

you are traveling from London -- so the obvious question is why not fly to Zurich? Especially since you want to avoid Paris.

flanneruk Apr 8th, 2017 02:13 PM

Go to bahn.de

There are a number of routings via Lille. They all seem to take longer than the routing via Paris

dpgeology Apr 8th, 2017 05:43 PM

Thanks.. I will check out the web sites. I am looking at trains instead of flying so I can see the country and continue to wish USA had more trains ��

michelhuebeli Apr 8th, 2017 07:39 PM

Well, considering how much it costs and how long it takes, the "seeing the country" from those highspeed trains on those routes might disappoint you mightily. There eally is not much to see.

I suggest insted taking a low-cost flight to Basel (BSL) or Zürich (ZRH instea an spendingnthose extra days and pounds on sight-seeing in Switzerland before taking the Bernina Express.

Lots of cheap flights!

kerouac Apr 8th, 2017 08:43 PM

The fastest route is through Paris. Connecting from Gare du Nord to a train to Zurich from Gare de Lyon won't contaminate your trip more than about 2 hours.

janisj Apr 8th, 2017 10:21 PM

On the high speed trains you really don't see all that much. Most people read or use their tablets/lap tops. Many don't even look out the windows because the high speed can make focusing a bit difficult.

WoinParis Apr 9th, 2017 12:42 AM

Hum. I have a friend who came by fast train this week via TGV's and he LOVED it. First time on fast trains, he pent his time looking through the window.

neckervd Apr 9th, 2017 01:03 PM

London dp 12.58 - Lille Europe 15.30/15.58 - Strasbourg 19.01/19.21 - Basel 20.39/21.07 - Zurich 22.00/22.12 - Chur ar 23.45

kerouac Apr 9th, 2017 01:25 PM

Proves my point about going through Paris!

PalenQ Apr 9th, 2017 02:18 PM

going thru Paris ain't bad- Gare de l'Est adjoins practically Gare du Nord - and I too always can savor the scenery from fast trains, many of which are double-deckers -be sure to sit on the top deck for best views. For lots about trains check www.seat61.com -great info on discounted fares Calais-Paris and Paris-Zurich - and www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

If you want to go Calais-Brussels-Cologne you can hook up with a night train to Zurich I believe. Spend a night in Brussels.

PalenQ Apr 10th, 2017 08:00 AM

If you want to go Calais-Brussels-Cologne you can hook up with a night train to Zurich I believe. Spend a night in Brussels.>

No no night train I could fine.

Yet Cologne is just about 5 hours from Zurich- stay the night see the fabulous famous cathedral or go to say the Rhine Gorge around Koblenz and stay the night. An option anyway.

kerouac Apr 10th, 2017 08:20 AM

<i>going thru Paris ain't bad- Gare de l'Est adjoins practically Gare du Nord </i>

Trains to Zurich and Basel <b>used</b> to leave from Gare de l'Est, which I thought was excellent. But now those trains leave from Gare de Lyon, just like the trains to Geneva and Lausanne. Too bad!

docdan Apr 10th, 2017 09:47 AM

Not sure if this is helpful, but if the goal is the Bernina Express, then your destination is Chur, Switzerland, not Zurich. There are direct Swiss Trains from Basil to Chur, so if you search for rail/bus transportation to Basil, then Basil to Chur, you may find some options that were not visible with a search to Zurich. You must change trains in Chur, which BTW, is a nice stroll if you have a few spare hours.

PalenQ Apr 10th, 2017 11:30 AM

I have just two or three days for the Calais to Zurich trip-- so over nights are expected!!

does not necessarily want to take most direct route perhaps. So can go via Brussels and Cologne and Germany or more direct Calais-Paris-Basel routing.

How are you getting to Calais- if by train from London why? why not just go to Paris by Eurostar?

neckervd Apr 11th, 2017 10:22 AM

"How are you getting to Calais?"

Good question, Palen.
There are still ferries from Folkestone/Dover,
there are even 3 daily Eurostar trains stopping at Calais Frethun (NOT Calais Ville),
or you can just go by Eurostar to Lille and backtrack all the way to Calais by local train.

PalenQ Apr 11th, 2017 11:48 AM

Good question, Palen.>

I rather meant why are you going to Calais? From where?

janisj Apr 11th, 2017 12:24 PM

The OP is starting from London . . .

PalenQ Apr 11th, 2017 01:27 PM

OK- why go to Calais to just go towards Zurich? Better to take Eurostar to Brussels- if time is a factor.