Notices

Calais to Albi

Jun 4th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Calais to Albi

My husband and I are planning on visiting my father-in-law in a few weeks who lives near Albi in Le Tarn. This year, for a change (instead of flying), we're going to drive there. We hope to spend 3-4 days driving down from Calais then 2 days driving back up after our visit. My father-in-law says drive east of Paris and then down as there's lits to see but I fancied driving west, to the Dordogne and maybe even the coast. We would love some advice/ideas on routes, places to stop etc. We'd like it to be pretty leisurely! Thanks
Jun 4th, 2015, 12:18 PM

You could easily go thru the Loire Valley for a little too or hit Normandy and the D-Day beaches area if interested in that too or Brittany - La Rochelle is a marvelous seaside town - *** Michelin stars on the coastal route going down.

The Dun de Pylat is western Europe's biggest sand dune - makes a fun stop and on way to Dordogne Brantome is exceptional IME.
Jun 4th, 2015, 12:32 PM

With only 3-4 days available - I don't know how it could be "leisurely". And 2 days to get back to Calais is something I would not want to undertake.

The eastern route through Reims, Troyes, Dijon/Beaune, Avignon/Arles, then to Albi would take about 16 hours. So that's about 5 1/2 hrs per day driving for a 3 day trip, and 4 hrs/day for a 4 day trip.

Perhaps:
-Calais to Reims/Champagne area. 3 hr drive. Overnight in Reims or Eperny. Visit some stuff in the Champagne area

- Eperny to Dijon/Beaune Burgundy. 3 1/2 hr drive. Visit some chateaux in Burgundy. Visit Beaune or Dijon (you won't have time for both)

- Dijon to Arles - 5 hours. Not much is scenic from the autoroute between Beaune & about northern Provence.

- Arles to Albi. 4 hr drive. Stop & visit Carcassonne along the way.

This would be the kind of pace I would do when I was younger and not "in the know" about traveling in Europe/France.

It's almost an "all autoroute" drive. If you got off the autoroute and took the scenic roads - no telling how long it would take. "Ballpark" 30 hours instead of 16.

Getting back to Calais is more problematic.

- Albi to Sarlat/Dordogne is 3 1/4 hrs

- Sarlat to Calais is a 9 hour drive.

You didn't indicate whether you lived in Calais or the UK and would therefore drive your own car. Is it possible to fly to Toulouse, rent a car, visit Albi, then take a 6 day leisurely trip by car back to Calais??

Stu Dudley

Search this Thread