Search

calabria: airports and airfares?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:45 AM
pdx
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
calabria: airports and airfares?

Hi there. I'm looking for suggestions. Early planning stages of a southern Italy trip for mid-October. I'm keeping an eye out for Bari airfares thinking we would drive from there to wherever we end up but I'm wondering if someone has a suggestion for better airfare options. I'm even considering Rome because my boyfriend has never been to Italy and I will never pass up another opportunity to see the Sistine Chapel one last time. My visions of this vacation are beautiful rocky coastline, restaurants with sea views, farming communities and olive oil everywhere, hanging out one day and driving somewhere another day. Haven't decided whether to park ourselves in one spot and day trip or just keep the bags packed and skip around. I forgot, one of my questions is is there a way to determine October airfare at this time? I'm getting expensive summer fares now and want my usual $600 airfare out of Portland, Oregon. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:08 AM

The Calabrian airports are Reggio di Calabria and Lamezia. Neither will be cheap from the US and you will have to to connect in Milan, Rome or another large European city. While Calabria has farming communities and produces some olive oil, that's not what the region is known for. If you want that, I'd suggest Tuscany or Umbria or Puglia (where Bari is). In mid-October, many restaurants in resort communities along the coast will be closed for the season, whichever region of Italy you are visiting. Sicily might be a good choice as it has all the things you are looking for and tourist areas along the coast tend to stay open later in the season.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:30 AM

I am in the early stages myself of plannig an early november trip to southern italy with my wife. I live down the road from you in Salem. Perhaps we can help each other plan. e-mail me direct at [email protected]
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:35 AM

Calabria has some nice seaside towns (like Tropea), but they will most likely be closed down in Oct. If you can get a cheap fare into Rome, you can book a separate budget flight on an airline like airone from Rome to Lamezia. I would rent a car at Lamezia & check out Tropea, Pizzo, Serra San Bruno, Gerace, Stilo. The food is wonderful in Calabria, it is popular for pork products and peperoncini (spicy peppers).
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
pdx
Original Poster

I'm figuring in lots of closed hotels and restaurants and that's okay because the towns will be less crowded and busy. I was looking at Puglia before I was swayed into Calabria by pictures and tales of food. I'll check out Reggio di Calabria and Lamezia for airfares. Sometimes the airlines tack those last legs on pretty cheap. Once I got into Lyon for the same price as Paris even though it included a train ride between the cities. I've been to Sicily and for some reason I'm dragging my feet about going there again. I think I just want to go where I haven't been. Know what I mean?
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:29 AM
rex

Bringing this thread back up to the top, for "pdx" - - anticipating a new posting with questions about Rieti and Orvinio.

Until then, take a look at http://www.paesisabini.altervista.org/orvinio.htm

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:47 PM
rex

ttt...
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:49 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Thank you Rex. Southern Italy has been nixed in favor of the usual route, Venice to Rome. Via Urbino. But no Florence this time, it's too crowded. All the more reason to check out Orvinio and Rieti. Three nights in Venice and three nights in Rome, and a week to get from one to the other. I'm looking forward to reading about Rieti. There isn't much out there on the web, which is great, of course. It looks like a wonderful walk-around town. A place to lay low for 2 or 3 days.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:50 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Rex, maybe you can move this out of the calabria header thread.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:54 PM
rex

I'm not sure how you mean... move this out of the Calabria message header thread?

May I suggest that you post this follow-up question under a new message header? - - and I will do my best to elaborate...