Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cal Pep (Barcelona) with kids/party of 5?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything I've read says that Cal Pep in Barcelona is not to be missed. We'll be in Barcelona with kids ages 16, 14 and 11.

I've heard that you're supposed to sit at the bar and eat what they bring. Do kids really do that, too? I've heard that it's always busy, so I can't imagine us finding 5 bar stools together...it sounds like more of a couples place. Should we just give up on this "not to be missed" experience?
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:27 AM

It is not a couples place; it is a busy restaurant with seating at a line of stools along a bar. Food is prepared behind the bar. If you absolutely must sit together, you will have to wait on line, arriving well before the place opens. Lunch would be easier as far as seating, I would guess.

This is one of my favorite restaurants. In the world.
But unless the food is of primary interest, you might choose to go someplace that will not be as difficult to navigate as far as seating and translation. No one is going to cater to you. You basically have to order what you see around you, or be able to converse in Spanish. You cannot linger as people will be waiting for your seat, sometimes literally at your elbows.

They also have a sit down restaurant which I believe is in the back of the bar area and for which you can reserve. I would think this would be a much better bet although I cannot say for sure as I did not eat there. It is more costly.

To sum up, Cal Pep is a food experience more than a place to go for the setting or the service, which is virtually non-existant except to place before you the food and wine you have ordered. It helps if you speak Spanish and are familiar with the food of the area, or are willing to just ask them to bring you a succession of dishes to sample without worrying about what they cost or thinking too much beforehand. If you do decide to go, all of the shellfish and the butifarra sausage are essential.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Here is the website for the sit-down restaurant; this would be a better bet but note there is no menu.

http://www.passadis.com/pag_eng/frameset_eng.htm
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

With respect to Passadis, how costly is "costly"?
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Missy I have no real idea, not having eaten there. But I remember we paid about 50 Euro for two for lunch with wine when we ate at Cal Pep itself which is less pricey than Passadis. I will ask around and see if I can find out more and post back if I do. I would guess at LEAST 45 Euro per person with wine.....
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:06 AM
BDM

We would have to endorse Cal Pep as well. We were there for dinner two summers ago with our 9 year old daughter and loved it. As long as your kids are willing to eat well you should have no problem.

It's worth the wait at the bar. try to get down near the end and maybe you'll get a 3 or 4 seats and someone can stand at the end of the bar. The clams (any prep) were the best we had in Barcelona. My daughter balked at the fried whitefish (whole with eyes, etc) but loved everything else.

It's not inexpensive but you get what you pay for!

Enjoy