Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cagnes-sur-mer - a good base for beach and French rRviera stay for 8 days?

Apr 6th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

We are considering returning to the French Riviera for 8 days next summer (we were in Cannes 2 years ago at Croisette Beach Hotel) and are debating on returning to Cannes for all 8 days, or staying for some or all of the 8 days at this wonderful sounding B&B in Cagnes sur mer (Hotel le Grimaldi - not the same hotel as in Nice).

We are looking to visit Nice, St. Tropez, St. Paul de Vence, Antibes, Juan les Pins, and Cap Ferrat - but not Monaco or Menton-
and definitely want a near-by beach (preferably sandy like the one in Cannes).

We were originally contemplating staying all of our time in Cannes, but I have just become familiar with Cagnes Sur Me and this lovely sounding small hotel.

I am seeking any suggestions as to whether one would be better than the other for the entire time, or whether a "split" would be preferable(and if so, how many days in each)?

As a side-bar, please note that we consider the trains along the Riviera to be much like a convenient subway system, and we do look forward to travelling between the various towns in the late afternoon and early evening for dinners and lovely walks, so distances really do not really matter.

Thanks for any help.
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Cagnes is a great base as it's centrally located better than Cannes - for bus rides to Vence, St Paul de Vence or Biot, nearby hilltowns or the Cote d'Azur metro train along the coast. The beach is sandy and vast though a few miles from the hilltown part of Cagnes.
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Cagnes might be in a good location, but I think it is quite lacking in the "charm" or "interesting" category. I would stick with Antibes, Nice, or Cannes.

Stu Dudley
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ - thanks for your response.

Stu - if the hotel that I'm contemplating in C.S.M. is located in the upper midievil portion of the town, supposedly at the base of the castle, and not in the lower beach area, wouldn't that environment be somewhat charming for a 4-day stay, allowing us a second base to visit places such as St. Paul, Villefranche, and St. Jean Cap Ferrat while still having walkable access to a beach, and a nice area in the evenings?

I guess that with 8 days in total, I am trying to prevent being bored by the same surroundings, and with the possibility of having 2 4-day sojourns in each place - one being a a lovely "Riviera" town, and one being a quaint quieter, albeit accessible village, I am trying to achieve this (while, at the same time, hopefully getting a fairly good "feel" of each place with a 4 day stay).

Apr 6th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Hi,
We stayed in Cagnes a couple of years ago in a B & B halfway up the hill to Haute Cagnes.
I agree with Stu that Cagnes itself definitely lacked charm and the town closed down very early in the evening. Haute Cagnes is very quaint, several restaurants etc. however be aware that the climb up the hill is EXTREMELY steep, not a pleasant walk in the heat of the day.
Hope this helps.
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM

>>Stu - if the hotel that I'm contemplating in C.S.M. is located in the upper midievil portion of the town, supposedly at the base of the castle, and not in the lower beach area, wouldn't that environment be somewhat charming for a 4-day stay,<<

Yes - that's a very nice section. It's actually called Haut de Cagnes. There are several nice restaurants close by & some pizza places at the Place du Chateau. We've dined at several restaurants in Haut de Cagnes. Just make sure that you have a place to park the car because parking in that area is extremely difficult.

>>allowing us a second base to visit places such as St. Paul, Villefranche, and St. Jean Cap Ferrat while still having walkable access to a beach, and a nice area in the evenings?<<

It's WAY too far away from the beach to walk there, and the uphill walk back would be a killer (at least for me it would be). It's called "haut" for a reason. As you drive through Cagnes sur Mer on the freeway, you'll see Haut de Cagnes way up on a hill. You wouldn't want to walk there.

Stu Dudley

Apr 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Stu and Patricia - points well taken...oh well, I guess that it's back to the drawing board...(and by the way, what car?)
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:59 PM

No Car???? That's fine, but definately don't stay anywhere near Haut de Cagnes. Like Patricia said, the streets are EXTREMLEY steep. If fact, many of the streets are actually stairs. It's even too far to walk to the train statin.

Stick with Antibes, Nice, or Cannes.

Stu Dudley
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Stu - what is a nice but reasonably priced hotel in Antibes, or even, if necessary, Nice (not my first choice, though, as I found it to be too much of a "city")?

Something that is not "Holiday Inn"ish, if possible, but does not cost an unreasonable amount.

We are hoping to find something that has charm (to use what has become a familiar, but I guess, an appropriate word word on this thread)and does not cost more than 150E if possible.

Again, thanks.
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM

We've always stayed in Nice, St Tropez, St Paul, or in a Gite (house), just outside of Vence.

In Nice we stay at the Windsor - perhaps 25 nights all total. Got reservatons for this July.

Stu Dudley
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Stu - as always, many thanks for your time and assistance.
Apr 7th, 2007, 06:49 AM

You're welcome

Stu Dudley
Apr 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM

I have booked a room at Grimaldi and will be there next week. I am concerned about parking and the hike up the hill as my wife is pregnant. Should I consider booking elsewhere? I've got a couple of emails on the way to the owner to get the scoop.
Apr 12th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

mrbiscuit - you may want to consider starting a completely new thread asking this question.

In any event, in case you do decide to stay at Grimaldi, would you please be kind enough to report back on this thread with your comments and advice as to difficulty in location, etc., as I would like to know your views.

Thanks in advance.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Just a further question - is there a bus which goes between Cagnes-sur-mer and Haute sur mer, which can also provide access to and from the beach?

Stu, Mrbiscuit, or anyone else?

As always, thanks for any advice.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
nbujic

When we were in the area a moths ago the main road through Cagnes -sur-mer was all dug up. The place looked a mess. It may
change by the time you go there. Of all the places on the coast C.sur M looked the least inviting.