Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cafe Constant: what did you think? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cafe-constant-what-did-you-think-182561/)

elaine Jan 3rd, 2005 07:26 PM

Cafe Constant: what did you think?

Hi
I'm a big fan of le Violon d'Ingres in Paris but looking to spend less for dinner. Have you tried Cafe Constant, and what did you think? Am I correct that they don't accept reservations?

Scarlett Jan 3rd, 2005 07:42 PM

http://www.leviolondingres.com/eng_home.htm

From another fan:)
Friends have been there and liked it but nothing specific to tell you. We will probably go there in March.

elaine Jan 3rd, 2005 07:47 PM

Scarlett, I've tried googling the Cafe but can't come up with much.
Do you know if they accept reservations?
thanks

Scarlett Jan 3rd, 2005 07:49 PM

Go to that site, click on Cafe Constant and then click on reservations.
I have no idea. ((F))

elaine Jan 3rd, 2005 07:54 PM

sorry, but I don't see any click on that website for the Cafe, just info on
Le Violon. But, another google try gave me the info that the cafe doesn't take reservations.
thanks though

Scarlett Jan 3rd, 2005 07:56 PM

elaine, I am sorry, as muffin would say, my eyes are falling out from scouring the computer all night for apartments!
This is all I could find, a review from the Times, but no hours :

CAFE CONSTANT

This might just be the best bistro in town. Really. It's owned by Christian Constant, a Michelin-starred chef, whose restaurant, the Violon d'Ingres, is a few steps away.

It's difficult to do justice to the subtle taste of the free-range pork roast with caramelized garden vegetables, and the fresh brown bread that melts in the mouth. So go - try them yourself.

A main course with a glass of wine costs $20 (139 rue Saint-Dominique; Metro: Ecole Militaire).

shellio Jan 3rd, 2005 08:01 PM

Elaine, they don't take reservations at Café Constant. Have you tried Les Fables de Fontaine, his fish restaurant on the same block, just across the fountain from Le Fontaine de Mars? It's tiny and has two seatings to allow them to make enough to actually survive, but it serves great fish and seafood and the desserts come from Le Violon.

M. Constant is in and out all the time, overseeing the kitchen, and even called our cab and waited on the street with us until it came. It took a long time and we had an interesting conversation about the restaurant business.

elaine Jan 4th, 2005 02:05 AM

thanks, I didn't know until last night that he'd opened up yet another place on the same block.
Have you been to the Cafe and to Les Fables? Other than one is seafood, any other comparisons? I'm taking a first-timer to Paris, and I'm feeling a lot of responsibility for meals.
=:)

jody Jan 4th, 2005 02:46 AM

Haven't been to Les Fables yet, but have it on my list for next month. All I've been able to find out is they have 2 seatings..which suggests they take reservations to me..and the average price is 30-50 €. Phone
01 44 18 37 55

elaine Jan 4th, 2005 03:11 AM

thanks jody, I just made a reservation for 7:30 on the 15th

for one review see
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=40155

they are closed Sun and Mon

ira Jan 4th, 2005 03:52 AM

>...the subtle taste of the free-range pork roast with caramelized garden vegetables, and the fresh brown bread ..<

When did roast pork, caramelized vegetables and brown bread become subtle?

Down heah, we call that home cookin'.

((I))

jody Jan 4th, 2005 05:56 AM

Elaine!

Please report back! We will be in Paris in Feb and I'd like to hear your comments. We took your suggestion a year or so ago for Chez Julien and enjoyed both the food and the "feel and look" of the place and the seervice was very pleasing!

Scarlett Jan 4th, 2005 06:12 AM

elaine,
thanks to you I have a whole new list of restaurants for this trip and will look forward to your reviews of Cafe Constant!
Thanks to Jody too!

elaine Jan 4th, 2005 07:23 AM

HI
It's the Fables de La Fontaine where I was able to make the reservation.

Laidback Jan 4th, 2005 09:30 AM

I stay in an apt. less than a block from the Café Constant and frequent it often as well as the 2 sister restaurants in the same block. The food is good, bistro type fare at a great price. They do not take reservations and it is small. Downstairs it is elbow to elbow but there is slightly more room upstairs. We have found that the trick is to come early or late to avoid a wait. It is the most reasonable café in the neighborhood, especially for a glass of wine, coffee, etc. at the bar during non meal times. You will often see M. Constant there with some of his cronies a/o family. On the other corner of the block is Les Fables de la Fontaine, his small excellent seafood restaurant, and in between the 2 is his flagship, starred restaurant, Le Violon d'Ingres.

elaine Jan 4th, 2005 09:35 AM

Yes, one of the many things that made me enjoy my visits to Le Violon... in the past was M. Constant's presence, his chatting with the guests after dinner, etc.
He is not one of those absentee star chefs.

Intrepid1 Jan 4th, 2005 09:46 AM

"Free-range" pork?? What is that...from a pig that had a whole acre to root around in?