Reload this Page >

Cafe Adler near Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 1999, 08:47 PM
Joe

I ate dinner at the Cafe Adler in Berlin, just across from site of Checkpoint Charlie, and it brought back fuzzy memories of spies meeting there in cold war novels, or maybe movies. Does anyone know of novels or movies that mention this place?

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 01:14 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Mr Anders, <BR> <BR>An interesting question. Do you know, I've read much Len Deighton, and recall no mention there of the cafe. Perhaps he thought it too obvious a reference. I do agree that it has resonance: I was there ten days ago. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, of London, in Cluj <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 08:15 AM
Maira

I read "The Winds of War" by Herman Wouk years ago, but I still recalled been impressed by the author's decriptions of Berlin social life just before WWII. The author included names of stores, streets and cafes in Berlin to the point that some of his descriptions read like maps. It is a great book and made a great miniseries years later... The second part was titled "War and Remembrance" also a miniseries (1986?).