Italian Almond Bakery Cookie with dried cherry in center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did post this in the lounge but still have not come up with the Italian name for this cookie although we did manage to come up with a couple recipes:

When I was in rome I bought these cookies at Roscoli Bakery and Il Fornaio Bakery near Campo de Fiori. I believe they were almond or nut based, small drop cookie with a dried cherry inside - completely inside, not visible. I have driven myself crazy searching for the recipe and thus am resorting to a tried and true method of getting my questions answered by asking here. Please please, does anyone know the name of these cookies or have a recipe? It was definitely a dried cherry inside and not a maraschino type cherry. I would love to make these cookies for our annual Bagna Caulda party next week. Thanks so much.

vjpblovesitaly did come up with a great picture : (second cookie on page)

http://therovinglocavore.com/tag/forno-roscioli/

So if you know the name of this cookie, I would appreciate knowing. We also came up with a couple of Recipes but if you have one would appreciate your posting it. Thanks so much.
Old Dec 19th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Looks pretty close!

http://www.kumquatblog.com/2012/10/c...n-cookies.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/holi...-cookie-recipe

http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.co...-amaretti.html
Old Dec 19th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Antico Forno Marco Roscioli makes heavenly sweets. If you are in the store for pizza, pick up some sweets you have never tasted before. On my last visit, I picked up a heavenly mini pie with chestnuts cream and ricotta cheese. I was eating this on the train to Orvieto while two loud American couples sitting across the aisle from me were eating from a pile of "value pack" snack packages brought from the US in their 26 inch luggage. Ok, so I know why many people cannot travel only with carry-on luggage.
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 06:53 AM

They are called, pretty unromantically, "bocconcini di mandorla con amarena" (almond bites with cherry).
PS: I have a picture of the label, too, but don't know how to post pictures here.
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

OH Thank you thank you!!!! Unbelievable. Now I will search on the name and see if I come up with any different recipes. I just love this site!
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

I searched on "bocconcini di mandorla con amarena" , vinoroma, but just came up with cookies with amarena Fabbri canned cherries. So, I made the first cookie listed above rolled in sliced almonds. It was very good but next time I will not put so many almonds on the cookie and I will chop the cherries, but very very good. Just not like the cookie I bought in Rome.

The second cookie was more work as you are supposed to beat the egg whites to form soft peaks. It contained lemon rind which gave the cookie a nice flavor but not like the cookie I bought in Rome. It was softer inside. Both cookies seemed to brown on the bottom before the top browned at all. I did use parchment paper. Maybe I will try a silpat.

The problem with testing recipes is that you have to taste the cookies!
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 11:50 PM

that is the worst, isn't it, who wants to eat cookies!
Ok, when I am next at roscioli I will try to ask a bit how they are made. Don't think they will give me a recipe, but I can at least get ingredients, I think.
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Right! So I took them to a Bagna Caulda party last night and they were a big hit! None left so now I can test another recipe!