Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cadiz to Seville from the port and The Alhambra from Malaga (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cadiz-to-seville-from-the-port-and-the-alhambra-from-malaga-823539/)

teach905 Jan 26th, 2010 06:02 AM

Cadiz to Seville from the port and The Alhambra from Malaga

We've followed advice from here to do things in the ports we visit, but we've never encountered a travel time. We will be taking a cruise. We arrive in Cadiz on May 31. Can we get to Seville on our own by train? We have 12 hours in port. I understand it's about 2 hours each way. That gives us a few hours to spend in Seville. I'm just deciding on whether it's worth it to spend 142 dollars a person to do it with the cruise ship.

Similarly, we will be arriving in Malaga and I want to go the Alhambra in Granada. What's the best way to do that?

Thanks for your help in advance. (there will be 4 of us traveling together.

bardo1 Jan 26th, 2010 06:35 AM

It's <b>NOT</b> worth it to spend 142 dollars a person to do it with the cruise ship!! The train is less than $30 USD RT per person from Cadiz and Seville is easy to see on your own.

Once you arrive in Seville, the 4 of you can get a taxi (about 10E) to the Cathedral.

From there you can do a simple self-guided tour like this:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...065010008.html (it says 4 hours - that's a minimum - it can take as much free time as you have).

When it's time to head back, you can easily find a taxi (again about 10E)to return you to the train station. Plan to arrive at train station 15 minutes early if you already have return ticket.

bardo1 Jan 26th, 2010 06:49 AM

For Granada, it is similar except you will go by BUS instead of train (there is no direct train). A round trip bus ticket will be a little less than $30 USD per person. Again, take a taxi from the Granada bus station to the Alhambra. It's possible to spend 4 hours there. <b>Get your Alhambra tickets from home before your cruise from the internet and avoid the horrendeous lines!!</b>

If you have extra time, take a city bus or a taxi from the Alhambra to the Albaicin area and walk around. In fact, don't miss it.

annhig Jan 26th, 2010 07:14 AM

I don't know if this is allowed, but to get more time on shore, you could play hookey from the boat and go direct [train I think] from Seville to Granada, then pickup the boat again in Malaga.

you'll gather from this i'm not a fan of cruises!

CathyM Jan 26th, 2010 07:57 AM

You can also take the bus from Cadiz to Seville. It takes the same amount of time as the train and the bus station is centrally located - no need to take a taxi to the Cathedral area you can easily walk (or take the fairly new tram). $142 per person is a ridiculous rate - but for sure there will be some takers.

So sad the ship only stops for less than a day in both Cadiz and Malaga. Understandably, most everyone wants to visit Sevilla and Granada when Cadiz and Malaga and incredible places to visit on their own.

Aduchamp1 Jan 26th, 2010 08:08 AM

Do you know the train schedule and how long you will wait for a train and calculate that into the time?

teach905 Jan 29th, 2010 06:46 AM

Thanks so much for your help. I knew I would get great info. I'm not the world's greatest fan of cruises, but it's a transatlantic and I am a fan of slowing down. It happens to do Spain and Portugal on the other end...places I have not been and places I do plan to go back to see at another time. Being in the area, I do want to see the Alhambra.

I'm also thinking about just staying in Cadiz and Malaga myself and visiting Seville and Granada on a future trip. This gives us options and the ability to decide on our own instead of feeling the pressure to sign up for the cruise package which may sell out.

Thanks again

annhig Jan 29th, 2010 11:22 AM

I'm also thinking about just staying in Cadiz and Malaga myself and visiting Seville and Granada on a future trip. This gives us options and the ability to decide on our own instead of feeling the pressure to sign up for the cruise package which may sell out.>>

teach - that's the way I would go. have a walk, a drink, a meal, in Malaga go and see the Cathedral and the picasso museum, and enjoy being in Spain, rather than seeing the insdie of a car or a bus. in Malaga, also try to see the central market - wonderful fresh produce plus bits of animals you're never likely to see at home.

have a great trip,

regards, ann

abram Jan 29th, 2010 12:09 PM

We had a two day cruise stop in Cadiz. One day we took the train to Jerez, which was great, and the second, we self-toured Cadiz.

teach905 Jan 31st, 2010 02:55 PM

I think we have decided to just stay put. Cadiz and Malaga both are places to see. We will do the Alhambra and Seville on another trip.

Thanks for all of your help.

bardo1 Feb 1st, 2010 06:45 AM

teach905,

Good plan.

May I humbly suggest you go in early/mid Nov.?

The weather in Seville/Granada will be in the low 70's in Nov. (as opposed to hovering around 100F in high summer). An added bonus is that flight prices will be at their lowest. It's not often that low fares to Europe coincide with perfect weather - Southern Spain is the splendid exception.