Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Only one week to spend, these are the options...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, we, a middle-aged couple, want a quiet, cultural holiday week with quaint villages, historic sites, nature, and lovely sea sites. Question is: Sisley, Malta or Corsica? The trip will be late October, so we'd prefer weather that allows a dip in the ocean or pool (unheated), as well as nightly alfresco dining.

Which of the aforementioned "Edens" is conceivable to "discover" within a week's travels with car?
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:18 PM

I've never been to the other two but spent a couple of months in Malta. I absolutely love that place. It's small enough that you could drive around and see a lot in a week.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I assume you mean Sicily

Any of them would give you a fine holiday. I haven't been to Corsica - but in general you should have decent weather. But it probably won't be swimming temps. And many hotel pools won't be open at the end of Oct.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:40 AM

Europe isn't in the tropics, so don't think any place is going to be beach weather or swimming in an unheated pool in late October. In Corsica, it will be in mid to upper 60s F (20 C) or so probably (outside and water). It is warmest water in August. Probably same for Malta.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM

Even if it's beach weather and warm enough to swim, do not expect any hotel pool to be open in October. To the locals this is already winter.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM

We loved Sicily--here are some reasons why !
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3828
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM

Can only speak to Malta, where you'll find plenty of history and culture to keep you busy if you only have a week. It's definitely at the crossroads of Africa, Europe and the Middle East.

If you decide on Malta, make a day trip (at the least) to Gozo - much quieter and more leisurely than Valletta.

Good luck with your decision!
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, I did mean Sicily!

Well, as far as swimming in a pool, we are planning to rent a farmhouse or small house, so hopefully we can arrange with the owner to keep the pool open, if we don't find a place on the beach.

Last year we rented a farmhouse in the Loire Valley in Oct., and had nice enough weather to swim in the pool. Same goes for the gite we rented in Provence the previous October. And, of course Tunisia and Mediterranean Morocco have been warm enough for us to swim in October, but I realize that they are considerably further south. Besides, my husband is from Sweden, and I am from northern US, currently residing in the NYC area, so we don't have to have bathtub warm water!

Looks like it's Malta hands down!