Notices

Cabs and Credit Cards

Jul 13th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Cabs and Credit Cards

Hi All,

I will be traveling to Rome within the next few weeks and I have not been to Europe in close to 5 years. I know that not all taxis will have this, but do some within Rome have the ability to take credit card? We're looking to take a taxi from the airport to our hotel, and I'd like to avoid the hefty fees we will likely be charged to take out cash at the airport (I'd prefer to wait until we are at a bank ATM).

Thank you!
Jul 13th, 2015, 02:42 PM

I don't know how many taxis take credit cards. Some of the private transfer services do, and they cost about the same as a taxi. They usually are even willing to stop at an ATM and wait while you make a withdrawal. www.romeshuttlelimousine.com and www.romecabs.com are both reliable services.

However, when visiting a country that doesn't use the euro (which is my currency) I always get a small amount of the foreign currency from my bank before departure, at least enough to get me to my hotel. The exchange rate isn't really brilliant, but we're talking about small change, and the convenience is worth it.

I don't like using airport ATMs, but the fees have nothing to do with it. I prefer to use a bank ATM in case my card gets swallowed, or I have some other problem. The airport ATMs have no support services on location. And I don't like withdrawing money in a crowded place while trying also to keep an eye on my luggage.
Jul 13th, 2015, 03:48 PM

Why don't you pre-book/pre-pay for an airport transfer online from a place like Rome Shuttle or some other recommended outfit? You can usually find reviews on Tripadvisor.

Search this Thread