Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cable Cars in Bavaria (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cable-cars-in-bavaria-856565/)

frances_hawkins Aug 26th, 2010 02:53 PM

Cable Cars in Bavaria

We will be in southern Germany Sept. 8-12 in and around the Garmisch and Berchtesgaden areas and would like to take one or more cable cars up the mountains for the views. Any suggestions? I am afraid of heights but will just have to grit my teeth on the cable cars because I don't want to miss the views. We don't plan on going to the Eagle's Nest, but I know that the views are supposed to be spectacular. Is there anywhere we can go in that area to get similar views?

Thank you so much for taking your time to advise. I have gotten much good advice from you Fodorites!

J62 Aug 26th, 2010 03:10 PM

Right near Garmish there is the big mountain, the Zugspitze.

www.zugspitze.de

When the weather is clear you can see the alps in all directions (ex north, or course) if you go the summit. (chairlift, the final leg, IIRC)

Closer in to Garmish you can take a cable car up the Hausberg. The cable car doesn't take you all the way to the summit here either so you don't get views of other peaks unless you do a little hiking. I've not been to that summit so I can't comment on the views except down into the valley below.

Taking an afternoon hike down the mountain back into town is a great activity.

There are ski areas near Bertschesgaden as well. I don't know the names offhand.

pja1 Aug 26th, 2010 06:23 PM

Hi,
Near Garmisch is Mittenwald (extremely charming village) and the Karwendelbahn. Nice views at 50% the cost of the Zugspitze. While we thought he Zugspitze had the better scenery, the Karwendelbahn was very good also.

The Jennerbahn cable car (by the Konigsee) is 10 minutes from Berchtesgaden itself.

Paul

LSky Aug 26th, 2010 07:42 PM

I've been planning a trip to this area also frances_hawkins, seems there’s a cable car around every bend. Everything I want to see is accessible by cable car. My husband is ecstatic, I'm practicing gritting my teeth :D
Have fun.

pja1 Aug 26th, 2010 07:53 PM

I forgot:

www.karwendelbahn.de

www.jennerbahn.de

Paul

Cowboy1968 Aug 26th, 2010 08:15 PM

If cable cars aren't your favorite means of transportation, you can take the cogwheel train (almost all way) up Zugspitze And only a short cable car ride from almost the top to the summit.

Or the cogwheel train all way to the summit of Wendelstein. You will pass Wendelstein peak on your way from Garmisch to Berchtesgaden (if you go by car and follow the German Alpine Road). Costs considerably less than Zugspitze.

A totally "vertigo-free" way to get up a mountain is.. to hike to the summit.
Pendling peak near Kufstein requires only a relatively short hike (1 1/2 - 2 hrs) to the summit and no climbing skills. You can actually walk up on a service road. No cable cars or trains here, so hardly any tourists. There is a hut on the top with foods and refreshments. And a spectacular view of the Inn river valley, Kufstein, over the Grossglockner range to Italy (weather/haze permitting).

Ingo Aug 27th, 2010 01:14 AM

If you can get over your fear of heights I'd recommend the Wank gondola from Partenkirchen. Best views of the GaP valley, the Zugspitze and Karwendel massif.

frances_hawkins Aug 27th, 2010 05:23 PM

Thank you so much for your advice! I rode the cable car above Banff in Canada last summer and it wasn't too bad for someone who doesn't like heights. It looks from the photos of the Jennerbahn that it isn't too high above the ground, so I will be fine. However, I still think I will still grit my teeth and go up the Zugspitz also.