Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cabaret shows in Paris without nudity? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cabaret-shows-in-paris-without-nudity-681467/)

PonyUp Feb 20th, 2007 08:17 AM

Cabaret shows in Paris without nudity?

We'll be in Paris April 10-14 with out 16 year old daughter and would love to see a quality cabaret type show minus the nudity. Recommendations? Merci

Padraig Feb 20th, 2007 08:25 AM

Sorry, even though I also lose control of my fingers from time to time, I have to take advantage of a great typo: would you prefer a nude show if she was with you?

PonyUp Feb 20th, 2007 08:32 AM

Okay, so I'm not so bright. We will definitly be in Paris WITH our daughter! Pardon

PonyUp Feb 20th, 2007 08:33 AM

And we would ALL prefer a great cabaret show WITHOUT nudity. Is there such a thing in Paris?

Christina Feb 20th, 2007 08:44 AM

That is sort of what these shows are, by definition. The term "cabaret" has just become used for that. I think they are all like that.

A 16 yr old isn't too young that this should be that alarming, I suppose, although I am with you actually in the idea that going to a show with women parading around topless as entertainment is sort of creepy with your parent(s). I really would not pose this as a father-daughter outing alone, which I think some folks on Fodors have asked about doing. Way too headed-for-therapy in my book.

I would think there are so many other forms of entertainment that one shouldn't perceive such a cabaret/LV revue type show as the only thing one can do when going out at night. Why not do something else, I could make a suggestion for something that has nothing to do with this type tourist topless variety/revue show. If I were going to do that, I've read the Moulin Rouge at least has some good dancing and lots of pretty costumes. I could have sworn I read about one that had children's shows in the afternoon without the nudity, but I think that would be more little kids and way too young a crowd for your daughter.

I went to a show in a small cellar theatre in St Germain, for example, by a wonderful singer who did songs done by Piaf, Vian, etc., and also did some poetry (probably vian or apollinaire). It was a one-woman show about that period of St Germain. She had a superb accordionist accompanist who was worth the ticket alone and I never used to like accordion music that well. Even if you don't know French, you'd enjoy the songs and the show, I think. This is more authentic as there aren't a lot of tourists there, more locals.

grandmere Feb 20th, 2007 08:46 AM

Au Lapin Agile, in Montmartre, bills itself as a cabaret and is probably more of what an old time cabaret was than the Moulin Rouge, Lido are.

Some say it's touristy, and it is, but does provide a slice of life experience, even if of a by-gone time.

Art_Vandelay Feb 20th, 2007 02:16 PM

A Paris "cabaret" without nudity? Like Disneyworld without tack? Or maybe Paris without the Eiffel tower? There is no "nudity" in the Lido or Moulin Rouge, just topless (stunning) dancers, ie the same kind of "nudity" all Europeans, whatever their age, are faced with when they go to the beach on the continent. Nothing to write home about. 16 years old, please...

Having said that, all these Paris "cabarets" are mere tacky tourist traps, that's the REAL reason why you should avoid them. I would feel more bothered by the company of dodgy French arms dealers entertaining their Middle Eastern clients than by the glorious boobs of some young Ukrainian dancer on stage.

Christina Feb 20th, 2007 02:32 PM

really, Art, and why do you think that should be perceived as entertainment for a family? By definition, one is on display and a source of entertainment in these shows, and although some people really are trying to be that on the beach, it is supposed to be a different purpose there (like being on the beach and swimming as you wish, but not to entertain others). I think some folks do refer to "partial nudity", although maybe the OP doesn't realize they aren't really "nude". It's like one of those Vegas shows if you've ever been to one.

I actually did find some (called "cabarets") that are not like that, but they aren't the big glitsy tourist shows, that's the difference. I think they call the Lapin Agile thing a cabaret, for one. I found some that are more the variety type shows, a little music, a little magic, etc. I know those glitsy shows do that two, but the small bistro-type venues that do this don't advertise lines of showgirls, that's the difference. They don't have any.

Like Chez Ma Cousine in the 18th arr. You can see it mentioned on www.pariscabaret.fr and I think you can tell from that website which kinds of cabaret are which (the photos advertising them are a pretty big hint). Most of these wouldn't work for most tourists, but I think the Chez ma Cousine would. I read a review on a French website from several people who said the food was average to good, but it was a pleasant evening.

Art_Vandelay Feb 20th, 2007 02:44 PM

Christina, the OP wasn't asking about the entertainment factor, the only thing she was worried about was the "nudity" factor. And, IMHO, the Paris cabarets she refers to don't score high on either department. End of story. Other considerations are just drifing towards parochial Fly Over State bigotry.

PonyUp Feb 20th, 2007 08:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Perhaps we'll skip the Cabaret and go for an evening in the celler at St. Germain. Any specific recommendations there?

NorthShore Feb 20th, 2007 09:09 PM

"Other considerations are just drifing towards parochial Fly Over State bigotry'

I'm always amazed at how flippant some people are about moral values. As if it were bigotry NOT to want to attend a nude show with your 16 child.

beaupeep Feb 20th, 2007 09:22 PM

Forget the moral issue, that I don't care about because I see nothing wrong with the topless women in these cabaret shows. However, I do feel it is a total waste of good money because these shows are TACKY! Not to mention tasteless and just insipid. I went to the Moulin Rouge once and once was enough. What a waste of money and time. I would take my 15 year old niece to the Paris Opera Ballet, at Opera Garnier so that you get to see that magnificent building while at the same time enjoy a ballet.

beaupeep Feb 20th, 2007 09:27 PM

Actually I just checked your dates on the Opera de Paris site and you could see Cinderella (Cendrillon) on Sunday the 10th at 19h30. When my niece comes, this is what we will be doing.

WillTravel Feb 20th, 2007 09:47 PM

You could see the musical "Cabaret" at the Folies Bergere. It does have adult themes (no nudity), but it's a good show. The dialogue and songs are in French, but a direct translation from the Broadway show.

http://www.foliesbergere.com/

Dukey Feb 21st, 2007 12:57 AM

North Shore, it is even more amazing that some people think their own definition of "morality" is the only one that matters.

alanRow Feb 21st, 2007 01:02 AM

<<< It does have adult themes (no nudity) >>>

Anti-semitism, homosexuality, sex outside marriage, abortion.

Guess that's preferable to a naked body

lawchick Feb 21st, 2007 01:08 AM

Bring the teenager to a concert or the opera or a play rather than some trashy vegas style razzle dazzle.

kerouac Feb 21st, 2007 01:18 AM

Perhaps it is time again to recommend a visit to the Cirque d'Hiver, which dazzled several Fodorites?

Carrybean Feb 21st, 2007 01:27 AM

Naturally, most of the men here are all for the topless reviews. /:)

lobo_mau Feb 21st, 2007 01:42 AM

Paris shows without nudity? What's the fun?
More or less the same as drinking hot chocolate, but without chocolate.