By water-Venice to Trieste?

Jul 11th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

By water-Venice to Trieste?

Page 245 of the current Fodors Guide for Venice & the Veneto, shows a ferry type vessal running between Venice & Trieste. I can't find any reference to this service in the Guide. Do any of you know about this service, or who to contact about riding it?
WJPowers
Jul 11th, 2003, 08:57 AM
jmv

I hope someone knows more about this. Sounds like a perfect way to travel between these two cities. Hope this exists.
Jul 11th, 2003, 09:30 AM

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=tra

"From early March to late October the Prince of Venice (Kompas Turizem; Obala 41, Portoroz, PHONE: 05/617-8000) hydrofoil makes regularly scheduled trips between Venice and Portoroz.

From mid-July to mid-September, the Italian firm Adriatica (Maona; Cankarjevo nab. 7, Piran, PHONE: 05/674-6508) runs a round-trip service from Trieste, calling at Piran and stopping at several towns on the Croatian Adriatic coast."

Maybe one of these?
Jul 11th, 2003, 09:53 AM

I'm not familiar with the water route but I did take the train last month. It's a 2 hour trip and the half on the Trieste side was beautiful. It runs right along the coast. Trieste is a great city!
Jul 11th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Intrepid

There are no scheduled services by boat listed in the newest Cook Timetable which in addition to rail schedules also generally covers all of the regularly scheduled water routes..doesn't mean there aren't any, though...you might also try looking on the web.

Jul 11th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Intrepid

I just did a web search and couldn't find anything about a ferry between Venice and Trieste...sorry..perhaps you'll have better luck.

Jul 11th, 2003, 05:42 PM

WJ: The drive is very enjoyable, particularly if you stop at Aquileia (wonderful Roman Ruins and spectacular mozaics) and Grado (enjoyable fishing village). Trieste is very enjoyable and don't miss Muggia, an ancient fishing village about 12 kilometers south of Tieste. Take the hike up to the old cathedral and on the way up enjoy the views of Trieste across the gulf. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
The drive from Venice goes through farm country and small villages. Some of the scenery along the gulf is spectacular. Have a great trip.

Search this Thread